What's new

HD-(X)A1 Firmware Update now available on Toshiba website. Now version 2.4!!! (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd/

For the following HD DVD players:

Toshiba HD-A1, HD-XA1 and HD-D1

Go to the "Support" link and then to "Firmware Update V2.1"
(Version number edited by moderator)

Paul

Edit: Firmware (Software) for the Toshiba HD DVD player (Hardware)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Got an email from Toshiba today; looks like if you requested a CD it's in the mail:

Dear Valued Toshiba Customer:

Our records show that you returned the Firmware Update Request card that
was included with your HD DVD player, and asked both that we send you the
first firmware Update Disc and that we notify you by email when it became
available.

The first Firmware Update Disc is now available and, if you have not
already received it, you will receive it by mail soon. This firmware
update addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related problems
identified by Toshiba. To update the firmware in your HD DVD player,
please follow the instructions provided with the Firmware Update Disc.

Should you experience any issues with updating the firmware in your HD DVD
player, or if you have any questions regarding your HD DVD player, please
contact Toshiba's Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-319-6684.

Thank you for your business.
Toshiba Customer Solutions Department
National Service Division
Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C.

H

Hank

I'm expecting my 1.4 firmware disc in about 5 days from Toshiba. Its available now online. Anyone grab it yet?

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I just updated earlier this evening. Haven't played anything yet, but I wasn't having any problems before from 1.0 on. Loading times seem to have been shortened though, and I don't think it's my imagination.

Dan M

Second Unit
i just bought this player assuming it already had the last firmware update

still havent taken it out the box as of yet was waiting for my new Infocus IN76 *grins*....

how does one check to see what version of firmware is installed?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Because they mailed me 1.2 I was told yesterday that any further updates will be mailed automatically.

One thing is for certain, Toshiba's CS is top notch and they seem very committed to their product and customers.

My player has had zero problems from day one but I've installed all the firmware updates so far and will continue to do so.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I installed online, and got really concerned because it took a long time (over half an hour, probably 45 minutes--I lost track).

Next time, I'll update via CD. Fewer variables that way.

- Steve

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Steve,

It isn't feasible to download it first to a PC and then either burn it to a CD or else upgrade the player through your LAN?

Cees

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The update was indeed via the LAN, through a screen in the player.

You can not download the CD image through Toshiba.

- Steve

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Steve,

Through the LAN and off a website on the internet, I guess.

Could you also use the following procedure: download the firmware file, place it in a folder on a harddrive on one of your PCs and then update the player from your own disk without connecting to the internet?

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Steve,

Next posts about this subject will be off-line, I promise, but this might be important to others too.

If you initiate it from the player, does it "know" where to find the updates, and if so, is that an URL you can change in the settings of the player, somewhere? Or is it a fixed setting (for eternity)?

Cees

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The player masks everything internally, so even if the URL changes, you will not see it. You set up the ethernet connection once, and then check for updates by going into the setup menu. There are no links or sites evident. It's almost like using a Mac! :D

The only thing you see as evidence of update is a "xx Pct" complete indication on the front LED. When it stayed at "20 Pct" for a long time, I got worried.

Toshiba's instructions are here:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd/

Read closely and it says that the update will take 30 minutes. Mine took longer.

They will send the firmware CD's to anyone who asks, and apparently once you are on the list, you will get all future updates by mail.

The only times I have seen firmware available to download from a link, or a CD image of same, is when someone takes the Toshiba-supplied firmware, makes an image of it, then hosts it themselves. And even though I've done it once, I would not recommend that people download firmware from third-party sites.

If others here can take any positive from all this, it is that Toshiba has been fixing problems at a steady pace, and has been getting the updates into the hands of the consumers. It is this kind of service that wins format wars.

- Steve

H

Hank

Has brightness and contrast changed with this new update? I have the disc on its way from Toshiba but over at the AVS Forum there are reports that brightness and contrast changed quite a bit when using HDMI. Component video is fine. I'm using HDMI from my A1 to my Denon 3806 than to my Sony KDF-50E2000 LCD RPTV.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm reading the same comments Hank. I have the disk on the way from Toshiba as well but not too sure if I'm going to use it.

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
to anyone who hasn't updated yet... when updating firmware, the front panel display shows what % completion so there is little reason for concern unless it gets stuck for a long while.

(expect it to take alot longer than 30 min.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks