What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Syriana (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
SIZE]_ _ :star::star::star::star::star:

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Great review, Herb. I am dying to get this into the ol' HD-DVD library. Fingers crossed on a day-and-date.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Excellent writeup, Herb!

The BB bonus disc sounds really cool, but $20 is over my blind-buy limit.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I would love to pick this one, but the fact that this isn't a 2 disc SE and 6/20 is already loaded with other releases, I'm throwing Syriana into the Netflix list.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Great review Herb-though im sure that this film barely touches upon the tip of the iceberg.
What is scary is the two-thirds below water that we are not privy to, and the so-called "Liberal Media" never much bothers to report in depth on.

Why was a Republican like Ike Eisenhower alarmed enought to warn us of this coming 'Military Industrial Complex' slowly taking over? (id say theyve nearly finished and are picking at the carcass)-IMHO

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am not suggesting that its a bad movie.. its more of a rental then a buy.
I saw it in the theatre. it was okay.. very slow. slower then kong for that matter. I felt that the movie traffic did a better job with all of the characters.
granted that clooney was good. but his other movie that was nominated for best picture was a much better movie, even if it was on another subject.

JACOB

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I found it literally difficult to watch. It requires at least two viewings to get everything. Even then. Dialogue is not easy to follow, and I really hate to say this, but I would have prefered a little more hand-holding. Just a little. Anyway, good movie, not great. A slight dissapointment.

--
H

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member

As a general, Eisenhower had firsthand experience with them, and knew what they would do to his beloved army, and to the country. And that's exactly what they've done.

Sten F

Second Unit
Hmm, a 2-disc set will be released in Region 3. Wonder what that will have which R1 doesn´t have.

Ah, just found out the R3 will include the same features that the Wallmart & Best Buy discs.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven

While Best Buy's website does show a 35 minute bonus disc (10 minute Matt Damon interview + 25 minute CIA interview), Walmart's site lists it's bonus disc as RUNNING ON EMPTY.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4960287

So, I don't see where Walmart will have a bonus disc that actually has Syriana-specific bonus material....

The R3 release looks like the better choice.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Theres nothing else for me to get today and I thought this was a really good movie - so Im picking it up.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have'nt seen it yet, but I doubt it'll be something I'd watch more than once, so it's on it's way from Netflix

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
After doing some more digging, I've discovered that the two featurettes on the Best Buy exclusive bonus disc:

WEAVING REALITY INTO DRAMA--25 min.

A CONVERSATION WITH MATT DAMON--10 min.

are also on the HD-DVD release of the title. The HD-DVD specs indicate that these featurettes are "exclusive" (which ignores the deal that Best Buy struck with Warners to make BB's bonus 2nd disc).

So, if you want all the goodies that are on the HD release, pick up your standard DVD at Best Buy this week.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I bit and got this yesterday with the BB disc. It surprised me that it wasn't an additional disc stuck on the back of the movie or something removeable from the case. This is, basically, a two disc set. Disc one is on the hinged page in the middle of the case and disc two sits where normal discs go.

Gotta spin it this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks