What's new

A humble request to our HD-DVD brethren (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Not sure how the HTF ownership feels either way about this but speaking as just one semi-long-time member I have to say I’m really getting tired with all of the Pro-HD/Anti-SD posts in the SD Software area lately. It’s getting to the point to where I’m starting to dread reading through a thread in the Software area. At times it feels like I’m stuck in a used car lot getting bombarded with the hard-sales pitch technique.

Lately it seems like every new announcement or review thread has at the very least one of the following:

1. They’ll wait for the HD version
2. The HD version will be an improvement over the SD (I’d hope so or you guys sure wasted a lot of money)
3. Inquiries on whether an HD or Blue Ray version is forthcoming (my magic 8-Ball says – “most probably, yes”)
4. Why are they bothering releasing such and such title on SD? (the same reason that they release titles on HD – to make money of course)
5. Why buy this SD version with a HD version on the horizon? (because not everyone is jumping into HD-DVD – for various reasons)
6. SD DVD is dead (etc, etc, yada, yada, yada)

I can understand the enthusiasm over HD but please don’t poop on our parade every time a title gets announced for Standard DVD. If I didn’t know any better I’d think there wasn’t an HD Software section to hang out and post about HD-DVD.

Enjoy your HD-DVD’s, live long and prosper in the HD Software area and leave us poor Standard Def Troglodytes alone in our ignorant bliss.

Hell, I’ll probably join you sometime in the future after the format war is over. :)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Since there is an HD software area, maybe this board could be more clearly labeled as 'SD software'.

Might cut down on the HD talk...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm sorry guys, but I don't see why any of you should be upset at some of those comments. I haven't bought into this new format yet and I don't feel like other members who have bought HD DVD players are looking down at me like some red-headed stepchild.:) I hate for us to be so sensitive that we call for censoring others for making some off-handed comment about waiting for the HD presentation of a film. Most of the discussion about HD is held in the right area of the forum so until somebody shows me something of substance that's counter to that, there isn't much I can do about it. In short, I don't see the problems some of you are having with your perception of SD Reviews. Maybe, I'm just too old to feel like I'm not worthy with my standard dvd.

We already have a little tug of war going on with the Blu Ray versus HD DVD factions. It isn't necessary that we now must have a SD versus HD argument. Sometimes, I think some comments are just taken too much to heart.

Crawdaddy

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I agree with Jim that it's annoying but so is the new format wars. :D

As dead as McCarthy. :)

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Robert. It's not something to get all bent out of shape over. I don't plan to make the switch to HD for some time. At least until things settle down and prices start dropping a bit. I don't think I will be buying anymore SD DVD's though. I will rent new releases and watch my old DVD collection until the time comes to switch. This situation kinda reminds me of when people starting switching to DVD from LD.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
As someone who has no intention of switching to HD, the only thing that really gets on my nerves is something like what was mentioned in the Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut thread. Someone said something to the effect of "Why even bother releasing a four-disc SD set in the age of HD-DVD?"

It's NOT the age of HD-DVD, and such a thing might not even come to pass. A comment like that was quite silly.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
It's a videophile's forum. You gotta sorta expect these things. Granted, I can see how it would be annoying, but what would the internet be if annoying things were subtracted from it? ;)

The only real problem is if it becomes a general all-purpose threadcrap. "Beh. Who cares, I'm waiting for HD" "I could get this all on one disc in HD." But again--it's a videophile forum, and some people can't help themselves.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

I agree. I've noticed people here wondering why movies are still being released on "standard-dvd", give me a friggin' break. I'm more than happy with SD-DVD and may never change to HD unless of course I have no choice, say in 10-20 years time. :)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I, like many others, am probably at least 1-2 years away from taking the HD plunge (give 'em time to work out the bugs, etc), so I remain an ardent supporter of SD. What's really cool is the number of upconverting players that are being released: at Best Buy, I counted eight different models! So not only am I making the sensible decision to wait, but I can maximize the quality of my current DVD collection (450+ titles) while I wait.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I agree with the thread topic.

I probably won't upgrade to a new format until the powers that be sit down and choose a single format. Plus I can't afford to now anyway.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the reason I didn't wait is because I don't want to accumulate any more SD titles than I have to at this point. If I didn't have the A1 now, I would be out there bright and early Tuesday morning picking up The Searchers and loving it.
But after seeing about 10 or so of the released HD titles, even the ones that are flawed in some aspect, I honestly can not wait to begin replacing more of my 'core' collection of favorites. Slow adoption is going to make it a grueling long process (although somewhat easier on the wallet at the same time ), so maybe you guys are smart for avoiding it altogether at this point.

But once you jump on, there really is no going back. Watchable isn't the same thing as completely immersive which is the key distiction between the two imo.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I have the A1, but still buy SD editions of movies because, well, they look terrific upconverted and may not get to HD (either format) for a while. Besides, I still watch SD in my HT (my projector ain't up to snuff for the A1) and there is still a thrill watching a movie 100" and in my Berkline!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
With reference to Jim's initial post, I tend to agree with most of his points except #3. Being an early adopter of HD DVD and seeing just how phenomenal the image quality is, and given the limited titles available; it is very natural to wonder if and when a new SD DVD release from either Warner Bros. or Universal portends an HD DVD release for new titles that are streeting. Gotta feed the HD monkey. :)

I'm still purchasing catalog DVD titles that are probably years away from release on HD media, but for current theatrical titles, especially ones that are rumored to be forthcoming on HD DVD; I try to assess the probablility of an HD release in terms of time frame; not inevitability. SD DVD will be around for quite some time. No arguments from me.

With regards to waiting vs. jumping on board HD; to each their own. I am very pleased and have no qualms about being an early HD DVD adopter.

- Walter.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had my HD-A1 since April 20th and own a majority of the HD-DVD discs that have been released, most of which I already had on SD-DVD. I am very enthusiastic about the new format.

That being said, I am somewhat in agreement with the OP to the extent that I am quite far from dismissing SD dvd as a viable format and still look very much forward to some upcoming SD dvd releases.

I have caught myself not purchasing some sd dvds from studios that are supporting the HD-DVD format in hopes of some future HD-DVD release. If the studio is known Blu-Ray only supporter I will go ahead and buy the SD version.

As for the questions about new releases of films in the HD formats perhaps some are not aware that the studios are far from free about news on upcoming releases. For several weeks now Warner has not announced upcoming HD-DVD release dates until at most a week before street date, Paramount is in and out, Universal is also not saying when some titles we know are coming (King Kong in particular) so there is a large information vacuum. In the presence of such a vacuum people are trying to glean any rumor or wisp of information they can, hence the large number of inquiries about upcoming releases.

The HD software section has more HD-DVD/BD flame war threads than actual threads about upcoming software releases and I'm frankly tired of that war.

Some HT sites are dividing the HD hardware and software sections further into separate HD-DVD and BD sections. This allows devotees of whichever format to discuss thier hardware and software without having to wade thru countless threads devoted to the childish bickering involved in the format war.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I agree. Just because it's a superior format doesn't mean it's going to catch on with the masses. I don't recall anyone anointing the "Age of Laserdisc" or the "Age of Beta," though both were considered superior to VHS. And a lot of people are still happy with VHS and have no desire to upgrade to any DVD format of any kind.

Now can we get back to the important issues like what is better, DTS or Dolby Digital? :D

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I certainly don't think Jim (and especially not me) was bashing the format. I think the "bash" (if you can call it that) was in regards to some people thinking SD is totally useless now that HD is here. I think the biggest naysayer in the world will eventually have to come around to HD but this here could take 20 years (especially since the BB and CC stores around here seem to have already given up on the format).

I understand a videofile jumping early but other threads have shown why this might not be a good idea.

As a film fan, I don't care how I see the movie. Could be SD, HD, VHS or whatever else. As a film fan, the bottom line is that there will be thousands of films never released to SD. With the "up in the air" feelings towards HD right now, we could be waiting ten more years for something like that upcoming Chaney set from Universal to hit HD. Now, as a film fan, I just can't pass on movies I want to see just because it's not on HD. To me, the film is the most important thing and the level of quality really isn't an issue.

I bought my first DVD player back in 1999 and at the time I had over 3000 titles on VHS. I sold all of these within three months figuring everything would eventually hit DVD. Seven years later there are hundreds of titles still not on DVD and they might not ever make it. If they haven't made it on SD in all this time then what are the odds for HD? Today I've got over 2000 DVDs and I could sell them tomorrow and start on HD but who knows how long it would take for me to get my film collection back and you've gotta wonder how many titles we own on SD that will never make HD.

That's why, in the end, the movie is the most important thing, no matter what format. As long as everyone is enjoying the films; let SD, HD, LD or VHS reign king. :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's understandable in that the majority of HTFers seem to be "tekkies". However, the HD format in any format most likely will be a niche market for quite awhile. I've seen HD and yes, while it's impressive, the difference is not as dramatic as DVD over VHS. Anyway, I suppose if you're into Spiderman, Star Wars, X-Men, Lord Of The Rings etc., you're drooling over HD but somehow I can't imagine The Seventh Seal, The Birth Of A Nation, L'Atalante, The Lady Vanishes, All About Eve or The Third Man are going to blow your socks in HD Long live SD and may it prosper!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks