Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Producer says X-Men III DVD to be X-tended

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 10:42 AM

From Dark Horizons:

"Finally, he confirmed that whilst they didn't cut anything from the film for time, they did have "things that we did specifically for the DVD" and said "Absolutely" to the chances of an extended edition DVD."

Fantastic news! It was an all around great movie. I didn't feel like the movie ran short but you can always use more of a good thing. I can't wait to see what surprises they have in store for the DVD. Anyone know what's up their sleeves?
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#2 of 19 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 11:39 AM

This is not really surprising as both previous versions were very extensive indeed
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#3 of 19 Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 11:46 AM

See below for a contradiction...

FROM thexverse.com

Brett Ratner's X-Men: TLS DVD Plans Wednesday, May 31st, 2006

According to Comics Continuum, Brett Ratner says he's been building on his behind-the-scenes material for the eventual X-Men: The Last Stand DVD for a while, and that he's put together a two-hour documentary about helming the film already.

"It wasn't like EPK (electronic press kit) crews coming by and filming me going, 'Oh, today we're filming the...' It was an in-depth making of the movie."

Ratner also says that the DVD will contain deleted scenes, but not an extended cut of the film, because the footage he wanted in made it into the movie.

#4 of 19 Matthew Marino

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted June 03 2006 - 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
This is not really surprising as both previous versions were very extensive indeed

Yeah, but neither were extended cuts of the films.

#5 of 19 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 03 2006 - 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Marino

I meant extensive as in supplements.
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#6 of 19 andySu

andySu

Supporting Actor

• 997 posts

Posted June 03 2006 - 12:47 AM

Good god hear we go again, I have “X-men 2” I have seen the first one, but I haven’t seen the third instalment, and “FOX” is talking about extending the film, will they release the DVD in two versions of the film, theatrical and extended edition, like they have done with pervious other titles?

#7 of 19 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted June 03 2006 - 01:03 AM

If there was ever a movie that would benefit from extra scenes - providing they are character moments - this is the one.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#8 of 19 Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted June 03 2006 - 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Marino

X-Men 1.5 kinda branches them in, though (at least for me) it was far from seamless.

#9 of 19 Matthew Marino

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted June 03 2006 - 05:31 AM

Yeah, they were so poorly "added in" that I wasn't even counting that.

#10 of 19 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted June 03 2006 - 05:11 PM

Good God, this thing needs a fleshed out director's cut! I just saw it and they tried to jam sooooo many story lines and characters into this thing and it was (minus the credits) only around 95 minutes long!!!!

This was a problem with the last two as well, but was especially jarring in X3.

Dan

#11 of 19 andySu

andySu

Supporting Actor

• 997 posts

Posted June 03 2006 - 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
Good God, this thing needs a fleshed out director's cut! I just saw it and they tried to jam sooooo many story lines and characters into this thing and it was (minus the credits) only around 95 minutes long!!!!

This was a problem with the last two as well, but was especially jarring in X3.

Dan

Dan

128 minutes is the running time of “X-Men 2” wasn’t the first feature around 90 minutes running time?

I found “X-Men 2” too slow in parts, but I guess it depends on what type of mood you are in?

#12 of 19 Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted June 04 2006 - 03:04 PM

Picture and sound aside, do you guys think it's worth upgrading to X-Men 1.5?
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#13 of 19 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,007 posts

Posted June 04 2006 - 03:25 PM

yes brad. I would say go for it.

Jacob

#14 of 19 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted June 04 2006 - 09:04 PM

deleted.

#15 of 19 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted June 05 2006 - 03:32 PM

I smell a double dip. This is Fox you know Posted Image

#16 of 19 StevenFC

StevenFC

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted June 06 2006 - 12:08 AM

They could add three discs of extras and I still wouldn't buy this jumbled mess of a movie on DVD. This thing screams Director's Cut. I can't believe that Ratner is happy with what's on the screen. But, what do I know? Maybe he thinks it's his masterpiece.

Regardless, I'll have to pass.
Steve's DVDs

The spammers motto: I stink, therefore I spam.

#17 of 19 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted June 06 2006 - 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andySu
Dan

128 minutes is the running time of “X-Men 2” wasn’t the first feature around 90 minutes running time?

I found “X-Men 2” too slow in parts, but I guess it depends on what type of mood you are in?
Singer's original workprint cut of X-Men 1 ran roughly in the neighborhood of 150 minutes, but he was forced by Fox to trim it down to the 1 hr. 45 min. cut that we got theatrically. For the X-Men 1.5 DVD, the intention was to go back and re-edit those deleted scenes back into the film proper, but at the last minute, this fell through (there used to be an excellently candid Robert Meyer Burnett interview on his website wherein he discussed the circumstances), although I always use the extended branching feature as a "next-best-thing"/"better-than-nothing" way of viewing the longer cut of the film somewhat as Singer intended it (after a fashion).

X-Men 3, though...absolutely. If ever a flick would benefit from an extended "actor's cut," it'd be that one (and throw in Star Trek: Nemesis too, while you're at it). Glanced at my watch as I exited the theater, and couldn't believe it hadn't even been two hours long. Too damn quick, and you know there had to be a few reasonably decent character scenes left on the cutting room floor to get that stupid running-time down.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#18 of 19 john mcfadden

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 04:13 PM

I'll just wait till a fan edit happens or Fox releases a bare bones DVD Then a SE 6 months later with the footage added as 'extras'

#19 of 19 David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 04:45 PM

No wonder I liked X2 better. I also thought the cut character scenes from X-Men should have been left in the film. I still neeed to see X3.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow