What's new

The Breakup (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Love Vince Vaughn. Loved him in Swingers; Loved him in Old School; Dodgeball; Wedding Crashers..

But, Vince Vaughn can not save this crappy film. Yes, there are a few good lines. But on the whole, this film is a major-league let down. Definitively NOT worth $7, and I don't know if I would recommend it for a rental.

The storyline is rather weak. I thought that it would be a neat twist to have the whole thing go absurdist and have them go to any lengths to keep the condo or whatever. Instead, it turns into a rather badly played mush-comedy. It reminds me most of "Along Came Polly". I am not sure if that's because Jennifer Aniston is the same character in these films, or because both films seem to miss almost entirely on any big joke.

I judge a film by how many times I look at my watch. I probably looked down more then up.

C-

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My problem with the film was that Anniston gets blown away onscreen by Vaughn during their fights, and it's uncompelling cinema. Had her character had some real ammo to launch towards Vaughn's character, it would have made their break-up more interesting to watch. As-is, it's far too bland and unimaginative.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I liked it, wouldn't say I liked it a lot.....
Vaughn was very funny, but felt Favreau upstaged him in their scenes together. I thought the first 45 minutes to an hour were good, but then it started really dragging the longer it went, and that ending? bleechh.

When I write my review it will get :star: :star: 1/2

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Wow. What a colossal misfire.

For one thing, Aniston doesn't cut it. She's never warm enough or lovable enough. She's too skinny, too movie starrish, and not a good enough actor for this. I think she's cute, but there are too many better actresses out there.

But, that's the least of the problems. The big issue here is structure and tone.

Structure: act 1 is a series of photos as montage over opening credits, act 2 is the whole movie, there is an attempt at act 3 that feels tacked on to the final 10 minutes. Let me change that - the second act break feels tacked on and it lasts for the final 10 minutes. There really is no act 3.

Tone: Watch WAR OF THE ROSES. It's funny! For starters, there is an act 1 in which you can buy they actually are so hot for each other they must be together. And, when the war begins it is because that spark is gone. And as the war progresses it is so over the top and they both hate one another so much it is hilarious. And, they destroy anything and everything between them. It's great symbolism.

THE BREAK-UP is literally TOO real. First off, we're not ever sold on their relationship because all we get are a meet-cute and photos. They break up immediately. Then, while there are funny moments, the problem is that he is being an asshole and she is dumb as a stump. It's like what really happens when people just don't communicate properly and really had me thinking to past break ups. It doesn't make any sense in retrospect, and this whole movie is that.

It's freakin' depressing! And, a few Vaughan riffs don't make up for it. They don't even 'destroy' anything or do anything outrageous, or even make a move! They just hurt each other.

Take the "Telly Savalas" gag from the trailer...she does it, and he has the funny reaction...and, then nothing. Her plan doesn't work because he is too stubborn to act on it, or try anything, or even try his own trick. He just continues being an ass.
Huh???

And, here's the punchline: they stay broken up!! They go their separate ways and live life. Boy, that's funny! And, then they play "I can see clearly now" over the credits?? Does that mean there is hope for them now that they have survived this 'growth experience'?

I dunno...and, I don't care.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
:)

The rare marquee name romantic comedy whose trailer caught my interest. The last one was Hitch, which I enjoyed. This one, barely, not enough to recommend.

To none's surprise, outside of anything involving Favereau, the best bits were in the trailer. And even Faverau was just OK - it is a prerequisite in these movies for the best friend/confident to be a riot, no? The leads brothers were just grating. Her boss strongly reminded me of Edna Mode from the Incredibles.

The batch of trailers before this movie was one of the most painful I had ever seen. You won't catch me watching those movies. Yikes.

--
H

danton_

Auditioning
Real Name
danton
The movie was pretty good. Although I have to admit the ending dragged on for a bit, it was still enjoyable but they over did it.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
How to have a successful movie:

Have the characters in the movie being consisently unapolgetic and near unforgivable. No, I'm not talking about Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever, I'm talking about "The Break Up."

I'm not going to pretend that I never laughed. I laughed a lot. I laughed at the acting, the structure of the script... zing. But really, I think the balance of Vince Vaughn's character was never really seperated from "lovable goof who just can't seem to get what he did wrong to "what a dick." The character would have merit in not knowing why he was in the doghouse, and then in the next line of dialouge you would go from loving him to praying to God that your significant other does not think you are that way. Or even worse, think he is funny in doing what ever bonehead "typical dude" thing.

It's definately written for a woman and a falsehood for a guy. I like how in the end...

If you loose weight and shave you will be a better, happier person.

Overall I felt as though they dangled pure comedy in our faces with just some inane pseudo coffee drinkin', "this is how you should live your life" border line propaganda.

Don't even get me started on how great of an actress Jennifer Anniston is, or how completely uneven her bosses' character was.

What was with:

the trip. We are just going to show an aerial view of the condo in time lapse, so we don't have to shoot on location...

I liked the video game idea, I thought they had something with Fav's "Don't worry, I'll help you out." speal, and loved the way they were going with the Sox game.

I would give the movie a 5.5 out of 10 - C-'ish.

ry

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see the movie. But, I love the scene I saw in a preview. Where Anniston brings a guy over to make Vaughn jealous. She goes in the other room and when she comes back. Vaughn and the other guy are joking and playing video games. And then as he is leaving asks Vaughn to call him. :)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Other than a few decent laughs, thought it was pretty dull."

PERFECT review:)

Sorry, But Jennifer Aniston looked great IMO!

Brent

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Vaughn filled up, normal as one ages. He is definitely a far cry from his Swinger days when he was this tall skinny dude.

But I can't believe anyone would call his current state "fat". Wowsers...

--
H

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Actually, he clearly gained weight for the role, because he has lost it for the final scene (well, some of it). She mentions he looks good and has lost weight. He has! He's no longer a selfish slob, so it makes sense.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
weren't their re-shoots for this movie after test-audiences didn't like the ending?

rumor is that they redid it with them gettin gback together, but in the end, they don't. i don't know if this is the original ending, or if it's a reshot with them still not getting back together.

anyways, the ending kind of reminded me or Prime.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

He looked more than just "filled up" - he looked tubby. Hey, fair is fair - in Hollywood, if an actress isn't 20 lbs. underweight, Internet losers call her fat!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks