Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Roger Ebert reviewing again in 2007 (Passed Away: See Post #158)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#21 of 186 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted August 06 2006 - 04:47 PM

When I first heard Leno was going to sub on this week's show I groaned, but I wasn't aware at the time that he is a big movie buff. I thought he did pretty well this weekend. I did notice that Roeper did all the actual reviews (normally he & Ebert trade off, as did Ebert & Siskel during their years), and Leno just provided commentary.

Next week, Kevin Smith. Whatever you think of his films, the guy is a seriously entertaining talker. He knows film, and he's not afraid to voice his opinion, so he should be quite good.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#22 of 186 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted August 07 2006 - 01:34 PM

Looks like he had another setback

Roger Ebert has more surgery

He's now been hospitalized for over five straight weeks, which comes across to me as an ominous sign.

#23 of 186 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 07 2006 - 04:46 PM

Yeah, it's not great. But atleast this is coming AFTER the minor surgery, not an announcement of forthcoming surgery.

#24 of 186 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted August 08 2006 - 04:55 AM

It's beginning to sound like /htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif Ebert may be out of circulation for a while. I wonder what their long term plans are for the show.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#25 of 186 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted August 13 2006 - 05:32 AM

Kevin Smith did a great job. He and Roeper had really good chemistry together.

~T

#26 of 186 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted August 13 2006 - 05:54 AM

anyone know who the next substitute will be? They didn't announce it at the end of the show.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#27 of 186 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,828 posts

Posted August 13 2006 - 06:35 AM

It was funny that Smith liked "Step Up" and Roeper was ripping on him for that thumbs-up. Overall, Smith was pretty entertaining with the banter with Roeper. Liked the "Jay and Silent Bob" with Roeper line as well.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#28 of 186 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted August 13 2006 - 11:36 AM

I don't think there'll be a new episode next week.

~T

#29 of 186 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted August 13 2006 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, they might stall (as they have before) with a re-run like "Best movies of the year so far" or "Worst movies of the year so far". I think this stalling caused "Pirates Of The Caribbean 2" to get lost in the shuffle, and never get reviewed on the show.

#30 of 186 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,828 posts

Posted August 13 2006 - 02:05 PM

And that had a real big impact on POTC2's box office... Posted Image
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#31 of 186 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thi Them
I don't think there'll be a new episode next week.
According to the Ebert & Roeper website, there will be a new episode with guest critic John Ridley.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#32 of 186 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 17 2006 - 05:00 PM

The main himself just released a statement:
Quote:
I have always believed in full disclosure. When I announced that I had a recurrence of salivary cancer that required surgery, I had no idea when I went into the hospital on June 16 that I would still be here on August 16.

On June 16 they removed the cancer in my right jaw area, including a section of my jaw bone. It was successfully reconstructed. On July 1, I was packing to leave the hospital when my blood vessel ruptured. We have since learned that the rupture was caused by a break down of tissue surrounding the artery as a result of radiation treatments I had three years ago.

I had a particularly intense form of radiation called neutron beam radiation, which is more effective for certain cancers, but which is also more debilitating to healthy tissue than conventional radiation. Finding a solution to protecting the arteries is what has kept me in the hospital, and in bed, since July 1. As you can imagine, it is no fun being hospitalized this long. Fortunately for me, I have received excellent medical care at Northwestern Hospital led by Doctors Harold Pelzer and Neil Fine. This is a unique situation and the doctors are moving cautiously, but they are enthusiastically optimistic about my recovery. I have also had the loving support of my bride Chaz, and good friends and colleagues. I am a lucky man.

I have learned, however, just how quickly one loses strength when confined to the bed for a long period of time. I will need rehabilitation to regain my strength, including voice rehabilitation to strengthen my vocal cords. The doctors have had me on a tracheostomy collar to keep my airways open during the period of surgeries for the ruptured blood vessels. Your vocal cords are like other muscles, they get rusty when they are not used daily. I may have other treatments or procedures as prescribed by my doctors, and so I hope you understand that while I believe in full disclosure, I also need the time and privacy to heal.

I am happy to report that despite all, I am doing well. I started physical therapy, I communicate with friends on a daily basis, I play my iPod and listen to songs with Chaz and the doctors and nurses, and I write. Don Dupree, the Executive Producer of “Ebert & Roeper” installed a plasma TV and DVD player in my room. I am going to watch "Half Nelson" and I hope Kevin Smith was right. I also thank my good friend Jay Leno for sitting in my chair in my absence, and, of course, thanks to Richard Roeper.

I thank all of you for your prayers, your well-wishes, your gifts, cards, e-mails and flowers. I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't tell you when, but I sure look forward to being back on the movie beat.
It sounds like the problem is actually from the earlier surgery three years ago, and he only survived because he was already in the hospital. Until they figure out a way to strengthen the affected areas, he'll be hospital bound.

#33 of 186 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 06:02 PM

Get well soon, Ebert! Posted Image

#34 of 186 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,566 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 07:53 PM

news on IMDB today, that he won't be able to speak for a while.

I sure hope he recovers soon. I'd much rather hear from him then read his collum. I love hearing him speak so passionately about film.

all-banner.jpg

#35 of 186 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 22 2006 - 12:46 PM

I'd love to just have him back in one form or another. The fact that he's writing again already is encouraging.

#36 of 186 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 03:22 PM

well i'm encouraged after reading that statement from him, i hope he makes a full recovery.

i was surprised i actually enjoyed the kevin smith episode. i know he's a huge film fan, but i expected him to be a total blowhard, but he was a cool guy.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#37 of 186 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted October 12 2006 - 12:34 AM

His first column in months appears today, discussing his harrowing ordeal. Better yet, his first review since June is being posted as well. Posted Image

Ebert on the mend

#38 of 186 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 12 2006 - 01:18 AM

Great news...I've missed his reviews quite a bit, and we've hit the "Ebert" season, where the years serious fare pours out. Can't wait to see what he says about The Departed.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#39 of 186 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 01:20 AM

Very happy for Roger. Posted Image

#40 of 186 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 12 2006 - 03:05 AM