Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Roger Ebert reviewing again in 2007 (Passed Away: See Post #158)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#1 of 186 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted June 01 2006 - 03:54 PM

In his continuing battle against cancer, Roger Ebert is scheduled to undergo surgery later this month for removal of a salivary gland tumor. Here's to wishing him the best of luck in advance. Posted Image

#2 of 186 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 11:40 PM

Good luck, Mr. Ebert! Posted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#3 of 186 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 04:44 AM

Quote:
"It is not life threatening, and I expect to make a full recovery," he said. "I'll continue to function as a film critic during this time."
Posted Image
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#4 of 186 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 02:23 PM

I know some will call me sick for saying this, but the first thing that came into my mind when I read this was the "Animaniacs" short "Critical Condition"...In particular, the scene where Slappy gets revenge for "Codger Eggbert" giving her cartoons a bad review by feeding him popcorn with a very special topping.

Slappy: "It's lard that I'm liposuctioning from your gut".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I might be going to Hell because of that.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#5 of 186 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,333 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted June 05 2006 - 12:06 AM

Is Ebert a smoker? How does one get cancer in a salivary gland?
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#6 of 186 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 11:04 AM

He has had follow-up emergency surgery to repair a blood vessel.
http://www.cnn.com/2.....ap/index.html

Ebert had surgery June 16 to remove a cancerous growth on his salivary gland. He told Sun-Times columnist Robert Feder at the time that the condition was not life threatening and he expected to make a full recovery.
About 8 p.m. Saturday, a blood vessel burst near the site of the operation, the Sun-Times reported Sunday on its Web site. Northwestern Memorial Hospital officials did not immediately return a telephone call Sunday afternoon from The Associated Press.
The 64-year-old has undergone cancer surgery three times before -- once in 2002 to remove a malignant tumor on his thyroid gland and twice on his salivary gland the next year.

#7 of 186 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 02:15 PM

There are conflicting reports on his condition. Some reports say "serious but stable" however noted author Jim Neibaur posted on a newsgroup that Chicago radio is reporting his outlook is grim.

What a sad coincidence that both Ebert and Gene Siskel became cancer victims at relatively young ages.

Hoping for a quick recovery.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#8 of 186 OFFLINE   Shawn.F

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 03:18 AM

Here's hoping he makes a full recovery.

#9 of 186 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 02:48 PM

He is a hero of mine... I wish him only the best.

ry

#10 of 186 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 02:51 PM

Via Cinematical:
Quote:
Monday morning his wife, Chaz Ebert, says that he's doing fine. "I am pleased to report that the doctors say Roger is stable and responding well to the recent surgery. Roger and I are so grateful for your prayers and support but please give the big guy the space and time needed to recover until he is ready to use those thumbs again."

He's one of the small handful of celebrities I'd be personally upset to lose.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#11 of 186 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted July 03 2006 - 03:22 PM

Roger Ebert is a national treasure. Best of wishes to the guy and I hope he gets well soon.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#12 of 186 OFFLINE   Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,275 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 10:41 PM

Roger is a great guy and from what I just read online, the prognosis is good again for recovery. Cancer and the problems associated with treatment, including surgery, are always difficult to predict so I am sure it is also accurate that he is in serious condition. Best wishes big guy.

I just read the IMDb profile and wow, it is one of the longer profiles I have ever seen there with lots of quotes and trivial information. I can only assume he is universally well liked.

Chris

#13 of 186 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted July 28 2006 - 12:39 PM

While Ebert is recovering, there will be celebrity replacements for Ebert on the show. Jay Leno will be on next weekend, followed by Kevin Smith.

~T

#14 of 186 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted July 28 2006 - 02:50 PM

Smith might be cool, but Leno? Not as impressive as some of Siskel's replacements. I want to get Martin Scorsese back. Posted Image
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#15 of 186 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted July 28 2006 - 03:29 PM

Jay Leno reviewing movies? Will he use his monologue recipe?

*make lame joke*

*repeat punchline*

*explain joke*

*repeat 50 times*
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#16 of 186 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted July 28 2006 - 05:02 PM

Kevin Smith to stand in for Roger Ebert.....that sounds like a Leno punch line.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#17 of 186 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted July 29 2006 - 12:45 AM

David Poland commented on this in his blog and seems to think that Leno will do really well- evidently the guy is a serious movie lover and is always talking them up backstage with Ebert and Roeper when they do his show.

#18 of 186 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted July 29 2006 - 04:41 AM

Leno does have pretty good taste in movies, at least the best taste among talk show hosts. I think he watches Ebert and Roeper every week, so that's great for him to get to be on the show.

~T

#19 of 186 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 07:04 AM

Leno did a really good job on the show, although I could've done without his goofiness at times.

He disliked Miami Vice, and I was wondering why he didn't give his opinion at all on the movie when Colin Farrel appeared on his show. Posted Image

~T

#20 of 186 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thi Them
Leno did a really good job on the show, although I could've done without his goofiness at times.

He disliked Miami Vice, and I was wondering why he didn't give his opinion at all on the movie when Colin Farrel appeared on his show. Posted Image

~T
Leno follows this advice: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow