What's new

The Transformers: The Movie (1986) 20th Anniversary DVD (1 Viewer)

Greg K

Second Unit
Let's just hope this dosen't have the added sound effects that marred the Rhino releases of the tv series and the Region 2 TF:TM Reconstructed DVD. And let's also hope that Sony wises up and eventually gives us a better release of the tv series than Rhino did.

----------------------------------------------------

SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT USHERS IN A NEW ERA OF TRANSFORMERS-MANIA WITH TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE 20TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION DVD

Icons OPTIMUS PRIME and MEGATRON Star in Special Edition DVD to Hit Retail Shelves This Holiday Season

New York, New York, May 30, 2006 - When MEGATRON said, “It’s over Prime,” he had it all wrong. This fall, the home entertainment group of SONY BMG Music Entertainment pulls out all the stops for the 20th Anniversary of the pop culture phenomenon and original theatrical release, TRANSFORMERS: The Movie with an explosive special edition DVD.

The new DVD marks the return of the out-of-this world animated big screen bonanza that catapulted the likes of OPTIMUS PRIME, MEGATRON, STARSCREAM, SOUNDWAVE and even the DINOBOTS into pop culture icons. The TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD will be packed with premium features and behind-the-scenes footage developed with input by and for TRANSFORMERS fans across the country.

TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD will tap into the huge, multi-generational TRANSFORMERS fan base. The special edition DVD will power into retail stores across North America in November 2006 -- just in time for the holiday gift giving season.

“The TRANSFORMERS franchise continues to thrive across multiple platforms, and we are excited to celebrate this pop culture phenomenon with a compelling new DVD tribute,” said Jim Wilson, Executive Vice President, General Manager of Home Entertainment for SONY BMG. “By teaming with TRANSFORMERS fans, we have developed an exclusive product with premium content and special features that will be sure to attract fans of all ages.”

The 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD includes never-before-seen footage, exclusive interviews, interactive games and collectible packaging. The film features the voice of Orson Welles in his final role, as well as stars Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Leonard Nimoy, Casey Kasem, Robert Stack, John Moschitta, Peter Cullen, and Frank Welker. The DVD also features a winning soundtrack featuring the iconic theme "The TRANSFORMERS" performed by Lion, and the popular "The Touch," performed by Stan Bush.

For more information on TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD log onto www.TRANSFORMERSthemovieDVD.com.

To coincide with the special edition DVD release, this fall Hasbro will pay a special tribute to the rich history captured in the saga that is MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE with the TRANSFORMERS Classics line of figures. Available in November 2006, these new figures will feature updated versions of the first generation of TRANSFORMERS (or “G1”), inspired by the look and spirit of the original figures and characters.

------------------------------------

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I was kind of surprised by this announcement when I say it posted on the Bits.

Sounds pretty good. It'll be nice to upgrade that Rhino release and finally get a copy of the soundtrack. Can't pass up that great 80s rock! :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Now we'll see if Rhino's claims of "there are no surviving widescreen copies of this film" are true. I am a little disheartened at the lack of mention of the aspect ratio in the press release.

If they do this right, I will gladly re-purchase this movie.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit

Amen to that.

Another question: Will the included soundtrack be a re-release of the one from 1986 or will it include the full score that was available at various Botcons and online?

mike.

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
Have the current DVD movie, and can't wait for the new release along with the new live action movie. It's about time.

IanD

Stunt Coordinator

All the current DVDs are open matte - if a little cropped on the sides. The UK Re-construction had access to a fully un-matted print but they screwed it up royally

Greg K

Second Unit

Having both the original soundtrack album (with all the rock songs), DiCola's music score, and the Protoform Sessions CD, this'll be a double-dip either way for me. But I'm glad that the songs and/or score will be getting a wide release.

Greg K

Second Unit

I would hope they have both the matted 1.85:1 theatrical version (16 x 9 enhanced) and the 1.33:1 full frame version, so everyone will be happy.

Greg K

Second Unit
As for extras, I hope the focus is actually on G1 and the Movie itself. The Rhino releases of the tv series had mostly inane extras (footage from Botcons and interviews with people involved with the LATER TF shows).

Rhino's TF:TM DVD had a few good extras, but there weren't many.

I also wonder--will this new release come from a theatrical print, or film masters?

Some have speculated that, like Rhino's TF boxsets, their version of TF:TM also includes a few bits of alternate/incomplete animation.

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator

Wait a second. Don't forget the two people in this world who liked having every shot with a different aspect ratio and rough edges.

JamesTLewis

Agent
Real Name
James Lewis
I have the original UK R2 version ( not the re mixed or whatever is was called) and it's a great little disc, with the best cover art of the lot. I would love to see this in Widescreen though, as the R2 is open matte. also, the music video of "the touch" would be nice...

Greg K

Second Unit
I popped in the Rhino DVD the other day, and experimented with different shots, using the "full" function on my TV to simulate what a 16 x 9 widescreen version would look like (by filling the entire screen and cropping off the top and bottom of the image). It looked pretty good.

It also made things very clear: In nearly every shot, the top and bottom of each frame was left devoid of important detail by the animators, so as to faciliate the matting for a 1.85:1 widescreen presentation.

I was kind of surprised to see that my faux-widescreen version looked better, compositionally, than the 1.33:1 open-matte version.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

There are even a few frames where the animators didn't color the cel in all the way toward the bottom of the frame. One such instance occurs when Hot Rod and Kup are underwater, when Hot Rod is turning over the injured Kup. Another is during the scene when the Quintesson ship is landing on the Junkion planet.

So either the animators didn't finish coloring down there because they never intended that part of the cel to be seen, or they just screwed up.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Is this DVD going to have the cursing in place? I remember some time ago, there was talk of some swear words "missing" from one of the DVD versions. Just curious.

JamesTLewis

Agent
Real Name
James Lewis

It was in the R2 version, they even had a pretty funny "music video" on the disc featuring it over and over again!

Joe:C

Second Unit

I wonder if this could be that Japanese pre-release trailer thing (that had Ultra Magnus with different colors and Unicron with a slightly different look).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks