What's new

Last Comic Standing Season 4 (2 Viewers)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Well despite cancelling the Season 3 just before the finale, they decide to bring it back again. Last night was the 2 hour premiere. I almost didn't even want to watch this since NBC could pull the plug again and we never get to see the final show again. But I did.

So far there have been a few really good comics. I was really surprised to see a friend on there, Josh Blue. The guy with cerebral palsy. We got him started a couple years ago in Denver. He came to be in our improv troup, which he wasn't that great at, but his standup just kills. It is also some of the dirtiest stuff you will ever hear so it'll be interesting to see how clean he keeps it. He made it through to the semi-finals though. His best line is "You are all going to hell for laughing at this."

mylan

Screenwriter
I didn't see many comics but I did see him, funny stuff about writing his phone number down. If he is that dirty it may limit him on a network show though.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Too bad "Skippy" didn't make it. :D

I wonder if that 19 yr old female comic didn't make it because she is under 21? She was pretty good.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

She was the only one I was disappointed to not see advance. I wanted to her more of her act. The gay father thing seemed really funny and interesting.

What I found amazing is that I haven't seen Linda Smith's standup in 10 years and she's still telling the same jokes about staying home and having the beach in her apartment. Someone needs to tell her and Wendy Liebman (all-time worst material recycler) to get new material.

I was kind of shocked to see people I consider professionals, like Bill Dwyer, trying out to be on LCS. Has Bill not found enough celebrity doing BattleBots or I've Got a Secret?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Last Year's finale was aired somewhere, maybe Comedy Central. I saw it and the winner was...

Alonzo Boden

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I missed the LA auditions and callabacks. Did a guy named Kyle Cease make it? His brother told me a while back that he'd be auditioning when the show returned.
Buckstar is the epitomy of determination. Unfortunately he doesn't have that good an act.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of professionals, I was surprised to see Gabriel Iglesias on there. He's been all over including plenty of spots on Comedy Central. At least they sent him through unlike a previous year when guys like Pablo Francisco didn't even pass on.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Caught this last night and saw some good talent. Better than I was expecting and might be worth following, especially with not much else on.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am surprised we aren't seeing more of the same people. It's like American Idol. You are still only picking people from the same pool. Except for the people who reach the minimum age limit.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Of the people that moved on tonight I thought Chris and Josh definitely deserved to. I liked Roz's set too but I'm not crazy about her delivery. Joey and April were just chosen for their out there personalities. There were a bunch of comics that had way better material.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree about Roz - I liked her material but there's no reason for her to SHOUT her whole act. Of the 5 they passed thru to the house, the only one I would disagree with is April. I would've liked for them to throw Wild Wally in instead of her.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think they picked April for sitcom potential, and a bit of eye-candy appeal for the house. Joey brought a lot of energy to the show, though the material was okay. Wasn't crazy about the Roz pick. I wouldn't have mind it if Nikki got in the house, but the talent guy Ross was right in saying she wasn't quite ready for primetime at this point in her life. Go Josh Blue!

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That bit Josh said about being a traffic cop had me rolling :laugh:

Is it wrong to laugh at his jokes? I sort of feel guilty.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Awesome to see my boy Josh go to the house. We couldn't be happier for him out here. And laugh away, it's what he lives for. :)

It is hard enough to get a feel for a comic with just 3 minutes, but it is even harder when they edit that down to 30-45 seconds. Based on what I saw, I would disagree with April. Wish Wild Wally made it. The rest I can see working out.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Really not to happy with some of the choices for the 2nd round of finalists. The last comedian picked...the one with the workout routine wasn't that funny. But, they needed to get an equal amount of woman.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I didn't agree with Stella (pregnant) either. Just didn't find most of her stuff funny.

This group definitely felt stronger than the last, at least the first ~10 were. Felt bad for a couple of the guys that didn't make it.

So if the comics stand around long enough after their routine they get to have a Q&A? It seemed like most just took off, and it didn't look like it was edited, at least most of the time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's heavily edited because I don't think any contestant had their entire 3 minutes shown, and you have to assume each had a short Q&A with the judges, but probably only the funny Q&A's were shown (time allowing).

I am in shock at who made it out of this group of 20. I only agreed with 2 of the 7 contestants that went on (Kristin and Gabriel). I'm bummed that Flip didn't make it, or the final guy (seque guy). Nikki Payne would probably be too much to take in longer doses, but she had that mad, infectious energy that was bringing on the funny. Malik S's stuff was pretty funny too (I was dying at the drive-by bit being affected by gas prices). The Hank Hill look-alike wasn't as funny as his audition, plus he needed to keep his glasses on because he just looked strange without them.

But you look at the final 12, and it just look too diverse.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I was wondering who was going to make it to the house because there were a lot more funnier people on this week, but the judges ended up choosing some of the worst comedians.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks