Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Boris Karloff and Inner Sanctums Coming To DVD On September 19!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   JohnPM

JohnPM

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 01:11 AM

The news from over at DVD Times is that these two collections are coming on Sept. 19 and include Boris Karloff in five features --- "Night Key", "The Climax", "Tower Of London", "The Strange Door", and "The Black Castle". Also coming the same date is all the Lon Chaney Inner Sanctum mysteries. Cause for celebration!!

http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci

Screenwriter

• 2,201 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 01:57 AM

I just saw this myself. I'm not all that interested in the "Inner Sanctum" titles and, while the films in the Karloff Set aren't among his most highly regarded (though I haven't watched any of them!), I've been wanting to catch up with at least two of them - TOWER OF LONDON (1939) and THE CLIMAX (1944) - for as long as I can remember! THE STRANGE DOOR (1951) and THE BLACK CASTLE (1952) offer some interest to me as well (though Karloff, reportedly, is relegated to supporting roles in both) - and, well, NIGHT KEY (1937) would just be in for the ride, but might very well result in a pleasant surprise...

I doubt there'll be any extras and at least the 5 films are spread over 3 discs. Let's all just keep our fingers crossed there'll be no playback issues this time around...

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 04:50 AM

The more Karloff, the better. Posted Image

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted May 30 2006 - 05:03 AM

None of these will be DVD 18s, Mario, so it looks like Universal finally wised up. The full specs at DVD Times list the disc types as DVD 9s and DVD 5s. Great news!
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 09:04 AM

Excellent news, naturally -- and a VERY good sign that Universal is also going through the trouble of issuing NIGHT KEY for the first time ever!! An equally impressive sign is that Uni has apparently learned their lesson with the DVD-18's, and know they screwed up with the BELA LUGOSI COLLECTION (poor Bela). I now wonder if future copies of the Lugosi Collection will be re-done?

Great to get the INNER SANCTUMS too, but at the risk of sounding ungrateful (I'm not - honestly!), it is a puzzle to me that so many other more "horror friendly" titles didn't make it out first (like ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, MAD GHOUL, MAN MADE MONSTER, NIGHT MONSTER, THE BLACK CAT (1941), HORROR ISLAND, etc.... etc...) -- Hey, maybe Universal will be waiting for Halloween Time (October) to issue the others? Posted Image

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci

Screenwriter

• 2,201 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for the clarification, John. In my enthusiasm, I glossed over that part...although, fingers crossed, I've only ever had one glitch with DVD 18s so far i.e. BEAU GESTE (1939) from "The Gary Cooper Franchise Collection".

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted May 30 2006 - 04:37 PM

Great news but I'm actually more interested in the Chaney titles since I haven't seen any of them. I'll get the Karloff set but none of the titles are really highly wanted.

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 31 2006 - 09:52 AM

Looking forward to Karloff!

What exactly is the "Inner Sactum" films? I'm embarased to admit I'm completely in the dark on them.

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 10:14 AM

Inspired by the popular radio series of the time, all the entries in the series feature Lon Chaney Jr. but are otherwise unrelated to one another.

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 11:45 AM

It's great that NIGHT KEY is finally making its way to a home format, and I like TOWER OF LONDON and THE CLIMAX, so I'm looking forward to this set.

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 12:04 PM

Can't say Im familiar with the Inner Sanctum films either, but Im really looking forward tot he Karloff set!

I've also been wanting Tower Of London released for a long time!

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 12:09 AM

Although I'm a little disappointed that this may be the only Horror/Sci-Fi films Universal will be releasing before Halloween, I'll be picking up both sets.

I've seen all the films in both sets except for Night Key and enjoyed them, but then again I have a soft spot for these types of films. The Inner Sanctum series was pretty mediocre overall, but if you are a fan of Lon Chaney Jr, then it's worth the price.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 12:37 AM

Very interested in the Karloff Collection, all will be first time views for me so it should be fun. Not really interested in the Chaney films, might rent 'em down the road though.

I really hope this isn't all we're getting for Halloween from Universal aside from the re-re-release of Dracula and Frankenstein (a.k.a. The Milk 'em for all their worth Editions).
Death before Streaming!

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 02:15 AM

Quote:
. The Inner Sanctum series was pretty mediocre overall, but if you are a fan of Lon Chaney Jr, then it's worth the price.

CALLING DR. DEATH and WEIRD WOMAN are camp classics. The rest are good "B" movie fun.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G
Looking forward to Karloff!

What exactly is the "Inner Sactum" films? I'm embarased to admit I'm completely in the dark on them.

As pointed out they were from the popular radio series. An anthology horror series. Similar to: Tales from the Crypt, Twilight Zone, Tales from the Darkside etc.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 10:53 AM

What "timeline" are the Inner Sanctum films a product?

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 03:12 PM

There can never be too much Boris Karloff on DVD. Hopefully Universal will get around to THRILLER (with your host Boris Karloff) sometime soon.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
What "timeline" are the Inner Sanctum films a product?

If you're asking the years of release, the first one was done in 1943, and the other five were 1944 and 1945. Lon Chaney was groomed to look like a suave leading man with wavy hair and a mustache, and he always played some type of intellectual who gets involved in some type of mystery. These films are not "horror", but suspense and mystery. They're not exceptional, but well worth checking out, especially if you're a Universal/Chaney fan.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 12:01 AM

Sounds good to me, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
especially if you're a Universal/Chaney fan.

I sure am!

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 08:38 AM

According to members of the Classic Horror Film Boards, Columbia is also releasing a set of Karloff DVD's later this year, including the 1935 THE BLACK ROOM(one of Boris' best) and his Mad Scientist series of the late thirties and early forties.

http://p075.ezboard....ssichorrorforum

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow