What's new

Six-Million Dollar Man DVD Season One? (1 Viewer)

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Anyone hear anything on this one yet?

I thought I read somewhere on TVshowsonDVD that it was being released in 2006?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hello. I've not heard anything about Region-1 releases for either 6M$M or Bionic Woman although both Seaon 1 sets are available in R2. As far as we know, both R1 series are still delayed by legal/clearance rights issues with no timetable known for resolving the issues.

Here's what is posted at Kenneth Johnson's site (creater of Bionic Woman)

"DVD's of the series will not be released until rights issues have
been resolved between Universal who owns the film & Dimension
who acquired the underlying book rights. There is no estimate
as to when that might happen."

For me, it's frustrating waiting for these misc "rights" issues with this TV/DVD hobby :angry: Although, it's still a :cool: hobby when we check Gord & Dave's info (TSoD) and find surprises posted for other ones that are on our lists.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Well hell. I thought a new thread on this meant new news. With Star Wars, Blade Runner, and the Animated Trek coming soon i guess i thought the other shoe was gonna drop too.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Maybe it will be released to coincide with the upcoming "Six-million dollar man" movie starring...get ready for this...Jim Carrey (!)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Jim Carey has reportedly left the project. Carey is no longer in the running for starring in the movie. I don't remember the website where I saw that I know I caught wind on a news reporting website that Jim Carey was no longer interested in the part.

Also, Six Million Dollar Man is no longer listed underneath Jim Carey's upcming performances and there's no longer a listing for the movie. I think that the television show might not see a release after all.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
The 6M$M movie project was cancelled or delayed indefinitely. Since there are rights issues with the TV series release, it doesn't look like a movie release would get the series released.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Would you posting a source for that information? I'd be curious to know where that info popped up. I'm also curious as to how they could announce a movie release before they secured rights to it.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Dimension Films (Disney) secured the rights to author Martin Caidin's Cyborg after Universal's option expired, and with it the rights to the characters Steve Austin, Oscar Goldman, Jaime Sommers, etc.

This was widely reported a few years ago, when Dimension was trumpeting their soon-to-be-in-production movie starring Jim Carey. Shortly after, Universal appeared to join the process as a co-producer. This seemed like a a good sign, since the two studios, former and current rights holders, would likely come to an agreement regarding the marketing of the original shows. Both studios would benefit from the cross-promotion of the shows and the new movie.

Since the movie has been apparently put on indefinite hold, there has been no word as to the current state of negotiations regarding DVDs for the original shows.

Although Universal owns the actual shows, any new marketing or licensing deals (DVD, broadcast, merchandise, etc.) would have to be negotiated with the new rights holder (Dimension.)

If I can find any active links to articles on the subject from years ago, I'll post them. I'll be attending the Bionicon convention in a few weeks, so hopefully there will be some new info to report when I return.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Bah - I'm still waiting on news for the R2 season 2. But seeing that it's getting close to a year since season 1 came out and narly a peep, I'd say the outlook isnt so good for THAT either.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I hear that, Tony. I don't know what the delay may be for S2 R2. I'd heard that it may have been postponed or delayed due to low S1 sales but that's not verified. Maybe there's a separate "rights" issue in R2 with some of the 6M$M / BW crossovers in S2? (Bigfoot/Oscar "Trilogy",etc)

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

On the plus side Knight Rider has now been completed and presumably Universal will start looking at other items in their back catalogue to market in order to generate more revenue.

Items they could consider are:

Six Million Dollar Man
Bionic Woman
The Various Six Mill/BW Movies
Airwolf

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

But, "Beggars can't be Choosers" :D At least, S1's are out in R2. BW set xfr was very good, IMO. I don't have the 6M$M R2 set as I read some reviews on the xfr quality and "Col Austin's" set didn't fare near as well as "Jaime's" S1. The main thing I'm wondering about is, what's the delay in R2 for S2 sets? Hmmm... :confused:

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Annoying, but I can wait. It's been 30 years since I last saw the show, I think another 6 or 8 months isnt going to kill me. In the meantime, there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

True. I did buy both, and I would buy the remaining seasons if they release them. Sadly no sign of that yet.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

That cracked me up. I held my head high when i bought Knight Rider season 1. You can damn well bet i'll be fogging the glass doors at 10AM whenever The Six Million Dollar Man ever gets a US release.

MattHR

Screenwriter

That's a visual I could have done without! I'll bet the employees at Best Buy, when they see you as they approach to unlock the doors that morning, will say, "See that guy there -- the one licking the glass -- he's either got a gun in his pocket or he's really excited that The Six Million Dollar Man is being released today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks