Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Six-Million Dollar Man DVD Season One?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 OFFLINE   Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 08:05 AM

Anyone hear anything on this one yet?

I thought I read somewhere on TVshowsonDVD that it was being released in 2006?

#2 of 63 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 27 2006 - 08:26 AM

Hello. I've not heard anything about Region-1 releases for either 6M$M or Bionic Woman although both Seaon 1 sets are available in R2. As far as we know, both R1 series are still delayed by legal/clearance rights issues with no timetable known for resolving the issues.

Here's what is posted at Kenneth Johnson's site (creater of Bionic Woman)

"DVD's of the series will not be released until rights issues have
been resolved between Universal who owns the film & Dimension
who acquired the underlying book rights. There is no estimate
as to when that might happen."

For me, it's frustrating waiting for these misc "rights" issues with this TV/DVD hobby Posted Image Although, it's still a Posted Image hobby when we check Gord & Dave's info (TSoD) and find surprises posted for other ones that are on our lists.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#3 of 63 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 27 2006 - 05:02 PM

Well hell. I thought a new thread on this meant new news. With Star Wars, Blade Runner, and the Animated Trek coming soon i guess i thought the other shoe was gonna drop too.

#4 of 63 OFFLINE   Jon Baker

Jon Baker

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 03:01 AM

Maybe it will be released to coincide with the upcoming "Six-million dollar man" movie starring...get ready for this...Jim Carrey (!)

#5 of 63 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 04:25 AM

Actually, Jim Carey has reportedly left the project. Carey is no longer in the running for starring in the movie. I don't remember the website where I saw that I know I caught wind on a news reporting website that Jim Carey was no longer interested in the part.

Also, Six Million Dollar Man is no longer listed underneath Jim Carey's upcming performances and there's no longer a listing for the movie. I think that the television show might not see a release after all.

#6 of 63 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 29 2006 - 06:13 AM

The 6M$M movie project was cancelled or delayed indefinitely. Since there are rights issues with the TV series release, it doesn't look like a movie release would get the series released.

#7 of 63 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 09:50 AM

Would you posting a source for that information? I'd be curious to know where that info popped up. I'm also curious as to how they could announce a movie release before they secured rights to it.

#8 of 63 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
Would you posting a source for that information? I'd be curious to know where that info popped up. I'm also curious as to how they could announce a movie release before they secured rights to it.

Dimension Films (Disney) secured the rights to author Martin Caidin's Cyborg after Universal's option expired, and with it the rights to the characters Steve Austin, Oscar Goldman, Jaime Sommers, etc.

This was widely reported a few years ago, when Dimension was trumpeting their soon-to-be-in-production movie starring Jim Carey. Shortly after, Universal appeared to join the process as a co-producer. This seemed like a a good sign, since the two studios, former and current rights holders, would likely come to an agreement regarding the marketing of the original shows. Both studios would benefit from the cross-promotion of the shows and the new movie.

Since the movie has been apparently put on indefinite hold, there has been no word as to the current state of negotiations regarding DVDs for the original shows.

Although Universal owns the actual shows, any new marketing or licensing deals (DVD, broadcast, merchandise, etc.) would have to be negotiated with the new rights holder (Dimension.)

If I can find any active links to articles on the subject from years ago, I'll post them. I'll be attending the Bionicon convention in a few weeks, so hopefully there will be some new info to report when I return.

#9 of 63 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHR
If I can find any active links to articles on the subject from years ago, I'll post them. I'll be attending the Bionicon convention in a few weeks, so hopefully there will be some new info to report when I return.

http://www.abandonen...2001_12_14.html

http://filmforce.ign...6/456014p1.html

http://movies.about.....ey6million.htm

http://www.space.com....on_031022.html

http://www.jimcarrey.../upcoming2.html

http://todgoldberg.t....to_para_1.html

#10 of 63 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 03:32 AM

Bah - I'm still waiting on news for the R2 season 2. But seeing that it's getting close to a year since season 1 came out and narly a peep, I'd say the outlook isnt so good for THAT either.

#11 of 63 OFFLINE   Richard_Gregory

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 05:43 AM

Indeed. Instead they've powered ahead with dreck like Knight Rider. shudder.

#12 of 63 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 30 2006 - 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony J Case
Bah - I'm still waiting on news for the R2 season 2. But seeing that it's getting close to a year since season 1 came out and narly a peep, I'd say the outlook isnt so good for THAT either.

I hear that, Tony. I don't know what the delay may be for S2 R2. I'd heard that it may have been postponed or delayed due to low S1 sales but that's not verified. Maybe there's a separate "rights" issue in R2 with some of the 6M$M / BW crossovers in S2? (Bigfoot/Oscar "Trilogy",etc)

#13 of 63 OFFLINE   DavidofLondon

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Gregory

On the plus side Knight Rider has now been completed and presumably Universal will start looking at other items in their back catalogue to market in order to generate more revenue.

Items they could consider are:

Six Million Dollar Man
Bionic Woman
The Various Six Mill/BW Movies
Airwolf <- Well I like this series

Ok, they may have other stuff in their catalogue but those would be my first choices.

The R2 releases of $6 mill and BW were poor, but better than nothing. Here's hoping for more releases R2 or R1 or any other region for that matter.

#14 of 63 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 31 2006 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSimons
The R2 releases of $6 mill and BW were poor, but better than nothing. Here's hoping for more releases R2 or R1 or any other region for that matter.

But, "Beggars can't be Choosers" Posted Image At least, S1's are out in R2. BW set xfr was very good, IMO. I don't have the 6M$M R2 set as I read some reviews on the xfr quality and "Col Austin's" set didn't fare near as well as "Jaime's" S1. The main thing I'm wondering about is, what's the delay in R2 for S2 sets? Hmmm... Posted Image

#15 of 63 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Gregory

Hey, hey, hey - step off son. Youre heading for DANGEROUS ground there, man.

While I'll freely admit that Knight Rider (and it's 80's action show brethren) is no Citizen Kane, it's about on par with the 6M$M. Both shows are cheesy fluff with no redeming value whatsoever.

I mean really - is a show with a Cyborg Space Bigfoot attacking campers any more silly than a talking car that jumps through walls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
I hear that, Tony. I don't know what the delay may be for S2 R2. I'd heard that it may have been postponed or delayed due to low S1 sales but that's not verified. Maybe there's a separate "rights" issue in R2 with some of the 6M$M / BW crossovers in S2? (Bigfoot/Oscar "Trilogy",etc)

Annoying, but I can wait. It's been 30 years since I last saw the show, I think another 6 or 8 months isnt going to kill me. In the meantime, there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

#16 of 63 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 31 2006 - 04:28 PM

some folks have been discussing this already.

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=217840
facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 63 OFFLINE   DavidofLondon

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
But, "Beggars can't be Choosers" Posted Image At least, S1's are out in R2.

True. I did buy both, and I would buy the remaining seasons if they release them. Sadly no sign of that yet.

#18 of 63 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 01 2006 - 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony J Case
Hey, hey, hey - step off son. Youre heading for DANGEROUS ground there, man.

While I'll freely admit that Knight Rider (and it's 80's action show brethren) is no Citizen Kane, it's about on par with the 6M$M. Both shows are cheesy fluff with no redeming value whatsoever.

That cracked me up. I held my head high when i bought Knight Rider season 1. You can damn well bet i'll be fogging the glass doors at 10AM whenever The Six Million Dollar Man ever gets a US release.

#19 of 63 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
That cracked me up. I held my head high when i bought Knight Rider season 1. You can damn well bet i'll be fogging the glass doors at 10AM whenever The Six Million Dollar Man ever gets a US release.

That's a visual I could have done without! I'll bet the employees at Best Buy, when they see you as they approach to unlock the doors that morning, will say, "See that guy there -- the one licking the glass -- he's either got a gun in his pocket or he's really excited that The Six Million Dollar Man is being released today.

#20 of 63 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 06:46 PM

TonyD is quite correct, please keep this discussion limited to the Region 1 DVD possible release.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow