What's new

'Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift' WTF? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Speaking as someone who really liked the first two films, the first one because it reminded me of Point Break only with cool cars and the second because of Eva Mendes, this third one is just grasping at straws. To base an entire plot around drifting, something that is common in Rally racing, is deperate in the extreme.

You can't base an entire film around something as trivial as drifting during a race, that's like making a movie based on the snow that get's kicked up while one is skiing.

Fast and the Furious: Alpine Swoosh

Pass lol.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think this movie is gonna be a fair sized hit. I'd rather be dead than see it but I still think that there's a big teen and gearhead market that'll want to see it.

If you're brave, go to the theater on opening night and wait outside for one of the showings to end and watch all the morons that'll drive out of the parking lot at 100 miles per hour because they just saw Lil Bow Wow do it. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Actually, I'm leaning toward giving it a chance since they finally dumped Paul "I never met a sentence I couldn't end with 'bro' " Walker for Lucas Black (Caleb from "American Gothic"). Sounds like an improvement to me, and as long as there's some good racing....

Beau

Supporting Actor
I may give this a chance on DVD, or even when it hits the cheap theaters. Not much of a fan of the first one, but found the second ridiculously entertaining.
lol! I'd so see that. But, if it's gonna be "Alpine Swoosh", why not call it "The Fast and the Flurrious"? :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Another thing that bothers me about this sequel...there are no hotties to speak of. The first had Jordana Brewster and the sequel had Eva Mendes, who's the female in this one?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
"Quickly rising in popularity"....how about been around for years and they are just trying to cash in on it just like the first two crap-tacular films?

The first one was up there with the worst movies ever for me, and the second one I didn't even bother to finish.

Exactly...like TEN YEARS AGO.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Drifting is still pretty new in the U.S. even though it's been around for years in Japan.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Yes, relatively new to the US (thanks to the D1 drift competitions and maybe the release of the Initial D series in the US), but been around for a LONG time in Japan. I've seen it done in person once, and it is pretty amazing.

My basic issue with these movies is they encourage young, inexperienced drivers to drive like morons on city streets because they think they can too.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
It seems to me that Universal just decided to make another racing movie, and slapped the Fast and the Furious name on it just because they knew it would draw.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Drifting is lame. We have the idiot ricers here doing that crap on the streets.

The first was bearable, the second was pretty bad and this one looks straight to video.

How many voiceover for movies start out with "on the wrong side of the law"

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

I have a gigantic, phone book sized magazine that a friend sent to me from Japan three years ago, called DRIFT. It is a magazine devoted to drifting.

It includes a DVD of ... people drifting their cars. I should just put the poster for this film on the cover.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't get it, how can you base an entire sport on sliding your car to the side? :confused: I mean in order to do that you must go straight and that would constitute a regular race, just with some sliding in it, you can't drift your car for the entire race.

I'm with Brett, this isn't actually a true sequel to the first two, it just happens to have cool cars in it and so they put the FatF name on it.

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
The whole concept is idiotic. Its not a race because it doesn't matter who finishes first. Its all based on style points or some crap like that. Its like figure skating for cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks