Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

'Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift' WTF?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted May 27 2006 - 12:02 AM

Speaking as someone who really liked the first two films, the first one because it reminded me of Point Break only with cool cars and the second because of Eva Mendes, this third one is just grasping at straws. To base an entire plot around drifting, something that is common in Rally racing, is deperate in the extreme.

You can't base an entire film around something as trivial as drifting during a race, that's like making a movie based on the snow that get's kicked up while one is skiing.

Fast and the Furious: Alpine Swoosh

Pass lol.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 03:12 AM

agreed
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 05:05 AM

i'm surprised this didn't go straight to DVD

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,206 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 27 2006 - 05:22 AM

I think this movie is gonna be a fair sized hit. I'd rather be dead than see it but I still think that there's a big teen and gearhead market that'll want to see it.

If you're brave, go to the theater on opening night and wait outside for one of the showings to end and watch all the morons that'll drive out of the parking lot at 100 miles per hour because they just saw Lil Bow Wow do it. Posted Image

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 05:28 AM

But it has little Bow Wow, it HAS to be good!

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,840 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 27 2006 - 05:45 AM

Actually, I'm leaning toward giving it a chance since they finally dumped Paul "I never met a sentence I couldn't end with 'bro' " Walker for Lucas Black (Caleb from "American Gothic"). Sounds like an improvement to me, and as long as there's some good racing....
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Beau

Beau

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 05:56 AM

I may give this a chance on DVD, or even when it hits the cheap theaters. Not much of a fan of the first one, but found the second ridiculously entertaining.
lol! I'd so see that. But, if it's gonna be "Alpine Swoosh", why not call it "The Fast and the Flurrious"? Posted Image

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 06:30 AM

And there's already a movie poster for such a film...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,272 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 01:22 PM

You know I liked this... when it was called Initial D.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 09:42 AM

Another thing that bothers me about this sequel...there are no hotties to speak of. The first had Jordana Brewster and the sequel had Eva Mendes, who's the female in this one?

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted May 31 2006 - 09:54 AM

There is a type of racing called "drifting" that is quickly rising in popularity.

http://en.wikipedia....ing_(motorsport)

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted May 31 2006 - 10:28 AM

"Quickly rising in popularity"....how about been around for years and they are just trying to cash in on it just like the first two crap-tacular films? The first one was up there with the worst movies ever for me, and the second one I didn't even bother to finish.
Exactly...like TEN YEARS AGO.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 10:32 AM

Drifting is still pretty new in the U.S. even though it's been around for years in Japan.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted May 31 2006 - 10:36 AM

Yes, relatively new to the US (thanks to the D1 drift competitions and maybe the release of the Initial D series in the US), but been around for a LONG time in Japan. I've seen it done in person once, and it is pretty amazing. My basic issue with these movies is they encourage young, inexperienced drivers to drive like morons on city streets because they think they can too.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 01:13 PM

It seems to me that Universal just decided to make another racing movie, and slapped the Fast and the Furious name on it just because they knew it would draw.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 01:37 PM

Drifting is lame. We have the idiot ricers here doing that crap on the streets. The first was bearable, the second was pretty bad and this one looks straight to video. How many voiceover for movies start out with "on the wrong side of the law"

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,710 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 02:26 AM

I have a gigantic, phone book sized magazine that a friend sent to me from Japan three years ago, called DRIFT. It is a magazine devoted to drifting. It includes a DVD of ... people drifting their cars. I should just put the poster for this film on the cover.

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 04:40 AM

I don't get it, how can you base an entire sport on sliding your car to the side? Posted Image I mean in order to do that you must go straight and that would constitute a regular race, just with some sliding in it, you can't drift your car for the entire race.

I'm with Brett, this isn't actually a true sequel to the first two, it just happens to have cool cars in it and so they put the FatF name on it.

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   BlakeN

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 06:06 AM

The whole concept is idiotic. Its not a race because it doesn't matter who finishes first. Its all based on style points or some crap like that. Its like figure skating for cars.

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 06:20 AM

Posted Image Talk about sucking any cool factor that it did have right out of it lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users