Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha Receiver...Help Choosing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Daniel K

Daniel K

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 11:40 AM

I am thinking about getting a new receiver. Right now I have an Onkyo TX-8511 (stereo only). It is a great receiver but I want surround now. I am getting very interested in the Yamaha HTR-5860, HTR-5850 and HTR-5840. I don’t really need a 7.1 but it would be nice so I won’t have to upgrade in the future. I only really need a 5.1 for now. Does the 5860 operate in 5.1 mode, 6.1 mode? Is that just a setting so you can choose that sort of thing?

For the front speakers I have Cerwin Vega LS-12s. They are 4 ohm and the reason I went to the TX-8511 was because it was one of the only amps that would not go into protect mode with them. I tried many receivers before I found this one to work. Many of the Yamaha’s are only able to go to 6 ohm. That is another reason I am interested in the HTR-5860, 5850, and 5840, it clearly has a setting for 4 ohm fronts and 6 ohms everywhere else. Also, my Onkyo doesn’t have a low level sub out, I need to run line level from the receiver to sub 1, to sub 2, then to my speakers. I know most home theater receivers have the sub out so that is another plus. I have a Velodyne CT120 and then a 12” RCA (actually pretty good).

Finally, another reason I really like Yamaha is because of their stereo reproduction feature. From what I understand it reproduces stereo sound through all of the speakers for listening to music, parties, etc. The only thing I found about stereo in the HTR-8560’s manual was 6 Ch. Stereo. Why is it only 6 Ch? What happened to the 7th? What would happen if I used this mode and only had 5.1 setup (if I can)? Also, does that YPAO thing really work good? What receiver do you recommend for my interests? These are the prices I can get the different models for…

5840 - $260 shipped
5850 - $290 shipped
5860 - $340 shipped

The reason I am picking last years models (58.. instead of 59..) is because the newer ones say to use a setting of 6 ohms and the older ones have an available setting of 4 ohms. Also, I can get them a little cheaper.

My last concern is that the receivers can only do 1080i or 720p. What will happen when 1080p is more common or if HDMI is used?

Thanks

#2 of 5 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 12:23 PM

Hi Daniel,
Quote:
For the front speakers I have Cerwin Vega LS-12s. They are 4 ohm and the reason I went to the TX-8511 was because it was one of the only amps that would not go into protect mode with them.
Hmm... I Googled those speakers to see what I could find out about them,and everything I see says it’s a subwoofer.

Still, if your speakers are 4-ohm, make sure you buy someplace with a good return policy. 4-ohm speakers are a difficult load for most home theater receivers, because they have to power so many speakers. I’ll be surprised if a budget receiver is up to the task of 4-ohm speakers. What you can do is make sure the receiver has some line outputs, so you could maybe add a separate amp for the Vegas.

Quote:
I don’t really need a 7.1 but it would be nice so I won’t have to upgrade in the future. I only really need a 5.1 for now. Does the 5860 operate in 5.1 mode, 6.1 mode? Is that just a setting so you can choose that sort of thing?
Any 6.1 or 7.1 can be operated as 5.1. There are set-ups in the menu for that.

Quote:
Finally, another reason I really like Yamaha is because of their stereo reproduction feature. From what I understand it reproduces stereo sound through all of the speakers for listening to music, parties, etc. The only thing I found about stereo in the HTR-8560’s manual was 6 Ch. Stereo. Why is it only 6 Ch? What happened to the 7th? What would happen if I used this mode and only had 5.1 setup (if I can)?
Can’t help you with the 7th thing, but I can tell you the 6 (or whatever) channel stereo is definitely cool for parties and stuff (yes, it works fine in 5.1 mode). Actually, IMO it’s useful for just any casual situation, not just parties. The only reason to turn it off would be for serious listening – which obviously you do at least sometimes, since you have a two-channel system.

Quote:
Also, does that YPAO thing really work good?
Reportedly it does, but I’m not sure how comfortable I’d be with it in a budget receiver – at least for the equalization functions. It can’t hurt to give it a try and see if it makes things better.

Sorry, can’t help you with the HDMI question. Maybe someone else can.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 5 Daniel K

Daniel K

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 01:11 PM

Thanks, if you go to
www.cerwinvega.com
click on home audio
then use the scroll bar for discountinued products...click LS Series
There you will find my LS12s. The back of the speakers say "compatible with amplifiers 8 ohms or less". I measured them and they are 4.

I am leaning more towards the 5840 because it is cheaper but I can't find the major differences between the three (except for the 5860 being 7.1 not 6.1)
Thanks

#4 of 5 Curtis*H

Curtis*H

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 03:16 AM

I was going to buy the 5860 but if I remeber correctly it did not have the HDMI upconverter & THX, that's why I went w/ the 5990. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

The YPAO on mine works great as long as I can keep my kids quite during the calibration Posted Image

Those are pretty good prices on the 58xx series but if you opt for the HDMI & THX capability you'll have to go w/ the 5990 or another manufacturer that might have it cheaper than Yamaha. They are spendy unfortunately Posted Image

#5 of 5 Daniel K

Daniel K

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 03:28 PM

Crap, looks like I might have to wait for a while until that becomes more standard. I can only really offord $350 max right now. I guess I will keep my eye on the 5990 prices. That one only says 6 ohm as well though.

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

Forum Nav Content I Follow