What's new

Bands you discovered/liked before they made it big? (1 Viewer)

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
The only one i can think of off the top of my head is good charlotte. I was into them about a year and a half before trl picked them up with 'lifestyles of the rich and famous"

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I have a few. . .
  • Dream Theater
  • Spock's Beard
  • Metallica (got into 'em when Ride The Lightning came out)
  • Yngwie Malmsteen
There are others. . .

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
John Mayer. I go to a small club in Hollywood, and an act that I regular see there (Glen Phillips) had John open for him before he was anybody. Just John and his acoustic guitar in a club of about 120 people. Sounded amazing.

About 6 months later I saw John again...on MTV in the No Such Thing video :D

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Several British performers:

BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST. I heard their second album (1970) at a friend's and began collecting their entire catalog up until their breakup a few years ago.

CLIFFORD T. WARD. Bought his "Home Thoughts" LP in 1974 knowing nothing about him, loved his voice and lyrics and proceeded to collected all of his work as well. He died of MS a couple of years ago.

KAYAK. Dutch band. Superb until the lineup changed.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I don't really have much to contribute other than that it makes me happy to see other Glen Phillips fans.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I can't think of many. Most of my favorite artists either already made it big when I discovered them or have yet to make it big.

I guess Shakira counts. When I got into her music, she was already a big star in Latin America, but she wasn't known at all in the US. She still makes good records despite the image she presents of herself, though I much prefer her earlier singer-songwriter phase.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I saw Nirvana open for Sonic Youth long time ago before they got big.

Also saw Van Halen open for Black Sabbath before they got big.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I too can't think of all that many that I discovered before the "big breaks".

The Bangles: Although I missed out on the first EP (because it's original release never made it to South Louisiana), I did catch the first LP, All Over The Place and bought the record having not heard the first thing about them or anything from them. I loved the album the moment the needle hit the vinyl. While "Hero Takes A Fall" soon made the MTV rounds later, it was the next album that made them big with songs like "Walk Like An Egyptian".

The Cocteau Twins: Never all that big in the U.S., but beginning in '83 with the second UK album Head Over Heels I began collecting all the import LPs, EPs and later the CDs before they started distributing domestically with Capitol starting with Blue Bell Knoll ('88).

Most others I discovered just as they became popular like Heart (in '76, not during the '85 comeback) or well after.

I do have several LPs and CDs that I bought of unknows on a whim, and most stayed unknowns.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh, also saw No Doubt and Sublime at the Inter-sorority beach volleyball tournament in Los Angeles in 1991.

Damn that was a great day.

And the bands weren't bad either :D

Bill - glad to hear you know of Glen. If you are in the L.A. area, go to the Largo in Hollywood, he often plays there (along with Jon Brion, Aimee Mann, Colin Hay and other smaller acts).

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
a friend of mine used to work at a radio station, and was friends with john mayer when he was trying to get his demo tape played, and after a while my friend took it and had it played, and he was "discovered". i strongly dislike mayer's music, but it's an interesting story to me.

CJ

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I loved U2 when "October" came out. A local radio station played the whole album beginning to end and I was hooked.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I live pretty far away from Largo (I'm in Wyoming) but I certainly know of it and I'm fan of a lot of the Largo regulars.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Sublime My cousin in Cali would send me tapes from their shows. Sad day when I found out about Brad.

tyler payne

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Godsmack is a band from my area that used to play at some real "upscale" places. I actually sat at the bar next to Sully and had a beer and chatted with him before he went on once. Staind is another band that I've seen a few times locally before they made it big.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
-Metallica: My brother gave me a taped copy of Kill Em All and said "you like Motorhead check this out". That must have been in 84 I think.
-The Flaming Lips: Was looking for something different in a mom and pop record store here in town. Looking at the back cover of Telepathic Surgery with the eyeball, I bought it. That was 1991 I think
-Janes Addiction: Same record store. The guy who was running tha place said here listen to this. It was their first album.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Probably the biggest one for me is Maroon 5, I thought Songs About Jane album was great. I bought it about 6 months before the rest of the world caught on to it. Funny enough that album was released back in 2004 and took it a good year to finally catch on.
John Mayer is still one that at least in my group of friends I'm the only one who really likes him or has really heard his material. But I was a fan of his just after "Room For Squares" came out, bought the album on a whim cause I hated the titled of it and I've ended up liking everything he's done since. Great musician.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this counts, but I started listening to Eva Cassidy before there was any big national press about her. Unfortuneately, I didn't discover her music until after she passed away, but it was before there was the news articles about her music.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was listening to U2 in ~1980/81 when nobody really knew who they were yet. One of the local college stations would play the whole album for new artist and I happened to catch either Boy or October and I really liked it. I still have all of their albums up until Rattle & Hum on vynil :) Now I don't particularly care for them anymore....liked them better before they became an icon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks