Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disney, Lions Gate and Fox to HD DVD? Also MGM See Post #94

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#1 of 114 Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 05:55 AM

This is a petition I saw over on AVS Forum.

It is to call on Disney and Lions gate to start supporting HD DVD with releases.

SIgn it!!

Tell Your friends to sign it!!

Post the links on other sites!

Send it to your MOTHER !

Posted Image

EDIT - OK - I may as well get these points out of the way:

1) The petition contains a number of problems said to exist with Bluray - some of these are stated as coming from industry sources on other forums (with links to the posts, for proper context) and others are widely known.

2) I'm not Rdjam, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night

3) There is a lot of criticism and ridiculing of the petition in this thread - specifically by those who oppose HD DVD - in an apparent attempt to reduce support for it - ignore these attacks and sign anyway if you are an HD DVD supporter.

Please report antagonist posts in this thread to the Moderators by clicking on the "!" report button at the bottom left of the post.

Disney http://www.petitions...sney_for_HD_DVD

Lions Gate http://www.petitions....ate_For_HD_DVD

MGM - http://www.petitions...s/MGM_on_HD_DVD

*** EDIT *** A petition has now also gone online for FOX Studios (which also now will control MGM's titles for Home Video releases, since MGM took it away from Sony this week). The petition for FOX is here - http://www.hometheat....26#post2879526

#2 of 114 ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 06:08 AM

How many times are you going to repost this?

The admins are going to delete at least one of these, I bet — they consider repetitively posting the same thing to be very rude. Verb. sap.

#3 of 114 Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 06:11 AM

Not trying to be rude LG - As someone on the other posted suggested, the first post was in the hardware section and it better suited to the software section.

Don't be so sensitive Posted Image

#4 of 114 ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 06:28 AM

LG? What?

Never mind. I agree it's more sensible here. That's not the point I'm making, just that people who've been on the board a long time have been warned in this same area for somehting similar, only involving existing threads. You might be interested to know that you can contact a moderator and have your threads moved, if you think they're out of place. They seem to appreciate being asked.

#5 of 114 Rob_Walton

Rob_Walton

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 07:47 AM

I'm pretty sure this is RDjam, who originally posted these same "petitions" over on AVS. Nice that he's disingenuously suggesting he just found them.

#6 of 114 Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 10:02 AM

no thanks.

#7 of 114 Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 01:39 AM

Why, Blu-Ray is the superios format and they are doing the correct thing by supporting it exclusivly

#8 of 114 Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
Please close duplicate thread. We already know about this Rumor filled pettion.
Hang on a sec - the petition is a good thing. You can't close a thread down just because you don't like HD DVD supporters rallying?

And no, I'm not RDJAM - why, can't anyone else support HD DVD too?

#9 of 114 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,442 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 28 2006 - 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_HD
Hang on a sec - the petition is a good thing. You can't close a thread down just because you don't like HD DVD supporters rallying?

And no, I'm not RDJAM - why, can't anyone else support HD DVD too?

He is talking about posting the same thread in multiple places on the same forum--bad form, dude. We get the point.

- Steve

#10 of 114 Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill
He is talking about posting the same thread in multiple places on the same forum--bad form, dude. We get the point.

- Steve
Fair point - but as stated before, it was posted in the hardware thread by accident.

I reposted it here in software after a recommendation from another user - in that original hardware thread.

Were I to have posted it in many many places - intentionally - I would agree that it would represent abuse of the forum. However, that is not the case.

#11 of 114 ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 07:31 AM

By accident? You posted it twice in the Hardware area, once in an existing thread, and once in a new one opened for the purpose! As I said above, please ask an Admin to merge your two threads. It's a simple and painless procedure, they do it in the office under local anaesthetic. Posted Image

#12 of 114 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 02:48 AM

rdjam,

welcome to HTF!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

p.s.

other readers might be interested in a little bit of back-story to this whole petition issue:

http://www.avsforum.....&
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#13 of 114 RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 02:59 AM

I am going Blu-Ray, and I think Disney, Fox and most of the others made a very wise decision to support Blu-ray!!

Classics on Blu-ray is what it is all about!

#14 of 114 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,442 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 29 2006 - 03:04 AM

Quote:
Worse than that...it's *embarassing* to any serious enthusiast who *does* support the HD DVD format and want to see studios release more title on it.

Thanks, Dave. Posted Image

- Steve

#15 of 114 Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 06:36 AM

That has got to be the *WORST* petition I've ever seen. That long list of superficial and superfluous information will never get me to sign the petition. Besides, why the heck would I want to drag out the format war? If all studios supported both formats we'd forever have a format war and it would be a waste for studios to have dual inventory.

Unfortunately there is a war and everyone has taken their sides. When final product is released and both are battling it out, we can only hope that consumers will force one product to disappear and let the other keep advancing.

Mike
Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#16 of 114 Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,270 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 10:39 AM

Why would anybody have to sign a petition if Blu-ray is having grave problems? Soon all of the HD DVD holdouts will have to know that if the writer of the petition knows it. I am not aware of that allegation but if true, no petition is necessary.

Chris

#17 of 114 Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann

Producer

• 3,515 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 03:03 AM

I like the alternative petition that was posted on AVS in response to this one:

http://www.thepetiti....ltl=1148970451

Posted Image

#18 of 114 Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
I vote worst petition ever also.
You would think that Toshiba could hire a better writer for their campaign.
More personal attacks Randy?

So anyone who supports the other camp is not allowed and must clearly be working undercover for someone?

D- : Must try to do better...

#19 of 114 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_HD
More personal attacks Randy?

So anyone who supports the other camp is not allowed and must clearly be working undercover for someone?

D- : Must try to do better...
I assume from this, that you must be the writer of the petition, Rob. That is unless you know the petition author and are fighting his battles. Posted Image

Now I don’t happen to share Randy’s belief that the petitioner is a paid employee or contractor of any manufacturer or studio—because I do share his view that they are poorly written petitions that are not well thought-out (and are insulting to the professionals in the studios as well).

Now if it turns out that you are the author (and that Randy was aware of this fact at the time he wrote his post), I’ll agree that it was a personal slam (if not attack).

But I assume that you are not, as you wrote in a post that you ‘found’ the petitions over on AVS. If Randy also remembered that post, it follows that he must consider the originator to be anonymous, and therefore his last post can only be considered a personal attack in a non-personal sense. Posted Image
¡Time is not my master!

#20 of 114 Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Crippen
But I assume that you are not, as you wrote in a post that you ‘found’ the petitions over on AVS.

'Found' or 'founded'? Posted Image

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow