Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why Does George Kaplan Hate This Movie Tournament?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
258 replies to this topic

#21 of 259 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 02:09 AM

Updated the list—we now stand at 24 entries—let’s see if we can get to 36.

Four more noms for everyone.
¡Time is not my master!

#22 of 259 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 03:33 AM

Andrei Rublev
Belle du Jour
The Marriage of Maria Braun
Shock Corridor
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#23 of 259 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 05:15 AM

updated--after taking out George's vetos, we stand at 17 entires.
¡Time is not my master!

#24 of 259 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 06:46 AM

Quote:
The Red Shoes
I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Since Brokeback Mountain was vetoed, how about ...

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Oooh...4 more....

I'll take a few off this list:

Blow Up
Dancer in the Dark
Thelma and Louise

Thinking...

...and let me just add that Titanic is one film that I have to agree with George about...make that two...Withnail & I is even more horrible. Posted Image
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#25 of 259 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 09:05 AM

Some good calls, but Rain... a very bad call... I like... enough to own... Colonel Blimp.

Andrei Rublev's a particularly good choice, but there's an even better Tarkovsky out there. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#26 of 259 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,577 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 09:09 AM

Lew, you missed my nom of...

Safe

Sorry, it was kind of hidden.

Based on Kaplan's last post, I'll add...

Solaris (both versions)
Stalker

which even test my patience (well, not the Soderberg, which I completely enjoy)

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#27 of 259 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 09:17 AM

Quote:
which even test my patience (well, not the Soderberg, which I completely enjoy)
Ah yes, the Reader's Digest Condensed version of Solaris Posted Image

#28 of 259 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,577 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 09:22 AM

Hey, wise guy. I like deliberate movies more than most, but I can do without 2 hours of staring off into space. Posted Image

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#29 of 259 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 10:12 AM

Posted Image

Actually I believe George was referring to Mirror. Since others have expressed negative views in discussions on the film, I thought I would choose something more popular. If there is such a thing as a "popular" Tarkovsky film. I don't remember if he's seen them or not but I would guess that George would prefer Solaris and Stalker to Mirror and there's more than a good chance that he would hate The Sacrifice most of all.
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#30 of 259 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 10:18 AM

Quote:
updated--after taking out George's vetos, we stand at 17 entires.
Did he veto Gone with the Wind and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon or do you have me on ignore? Posted Image

#31 of 259 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,577 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 10:27 AM

Brook, I have The Mirror but haven't watched it yet. At least it is a reasonable length. Don't read anything into my comments about Tarkovsky, but the guy gives the idea of taking your time an entirely new meaning.

The Hybrid System

#32 of 259 OFFLINE   Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 12:14 PM

I'll nominate 4 more, but since my first 4 nominations never made the nominee list and I didn't see anything about George vetoing them, I fear I might be on the same Ignore list as Rain

Persona
Once Upon a Time in America
All About Eve
Broken Blossoms

#33 of 259 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain
Did he veto Gone with the Wind and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon or do you have me on ignore? Posted Image
Sorry Rain, they were in my spreadsheet and I lost them.
¡Time is not my master!

#34 of 259 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,577 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 01:34 PM

I think I have a nom left, so I'll toss in...

Chicago

The Hybrid System

#35 of 259 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 02:30 PM

Sorry guys, just a little problem getting the right version of my spreadsheet copied into my post.

Updated.

George, any more vetos?
¡Time is not my master!

#36 of 259 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 04:06 PM

Brook is right, I was referring to the Mirror.

I haven't seen Solaris or Stalker (though both are on my to rent list).

George, any more vetos?
Not in the sense of not having seen (though I'll double check once the list is final), but I could certainly help weed out the less hated if necessary. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#37 of 259 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 12:38 AM

The list has been updated (removing the last three George has not seen) and as we now have 36 movies, nominations are closed.

The tournament committee is meeting to seed the titles. When that is done, I’ll be back with the first match.
¡Time is not my master!

#38 of 259 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 03:57 AM

The committee has finished its deliberations. The first matches will be posted soon.
¡Time is not my master!

#39 of 259 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 04:22 AM

The Tournament Committee has finished their deliberations. Since we have 36 titles, their will be a preliminary round to bring the field down to 32. Movies that the committee believes George hates the most get a bye in this round. The four deserving movies move on to the tournmenet.

Vote for the movie you like the best; not the one you believe George hates the most.

Comments as to why George lost his mind while watching the movie you select (or both movies, if they are ones you like) are not mandatory, but highly encouraged. Posted Image

First up:

Play-In Round: Bracket 1:

Enfants du Paradis, Les, 33rd on our combined Sight and Sound list and Rain’s (and my brother-in-law’s) favorite movie. Children of Paradise is considered by many, the greatest of the classic French films;

vs

Mulholland Drive
, perhaps David Lynch’s best and most accessible movie and nominated for its acting, directing and as a movie everywhere from Cannes to Hollywood.

Play-In Round: Bracket 2:

Thelma and Louise, while perhaps not considered as fine a movie as either in the first match, still wond an Oscar for its writing and was nominated for several others.

vs.

Room with a View, A
, an Ivory/Merchant tale of Florence, it won three Oscar’s and both Ivory (director) and Merchant (producer) received nominations from the Academy.

Why Does George Hate These Movies? His comments:

“A few words of introduction. I ‘hate’ movies for a variety of reasons. It also means different things. Just like one can legitimately hate Hitler and hate broccoli, without that meaning that one thinks broccoli is anywhere near as bad as Hitler. Also, all of these films with very few exceptions were seen by me only once, and often quite a while back. My comments are in some cases rather vague and based on a general impression, having (blessedly) forgotten many painful details.

"Enfants du Paradis, Les

"Children of Paradise is on the list largely cause it’s so overrated, which raised my expectations to something good, rather than a long, boring (did I mention long) melodramatic exercise in pointlessness.

"Mulholland Drive

"My hatred of this film comes largely from the fact that Lynch cheats. He goes from reality to dream to flashback to flashforward, all without letting the audience in on it. Never. At least never within the film itself. On a website, later he starts listing clues that, when all put together I’ll admit start to make sense of the film. But I maintain to this day, that simply watching the movie by itself, without knowing any of Lynch’s extraneous clues that set of people who could figure it out is a set of measure zero (which is a fancy way of saying it’s impossible, while admitting that maybe one person in a quadrillion could do so). I’m not going to call anyone on this board who claims to have been able to follow the film completely just by watching it a liar, but let’s just say I’d be more skeptical of that than I would of the innocence of Ken Lay, Jeff Skilling, Tom DeLay or O.J. Simpson.

"and

"Thelma and Louise

"A chick flick to give chick flicks a bad name. Leaves a very bad taste in one’s mouth.

"Room with a View, A

"Ivory/Merchant. Does one really need to say more? I’ll admit that this isn’t as bad as Jefferson in Paris, but that’s like saying Mussolini wasn’t as bad as Hitler."
¡Time is not my master!

#40 of 259 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 05:10 AM

Children of Paradise (difficult choice, While I love Mulholland there is still a whiff of the fact that this was originally planned as a TV series with the establishing and dropping of certain characters in the early portions of the film)

abstain, haven't seen either movie

Back to Director Checklists

Forum Nav Content I Follow