Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Letter to Paul McCartney....from ex-"Mr. Mills"

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 08:17 AM

Check it out....

In a knockabout letter to Sir Paul, Chris Terrill, the man Heather left for the former Beatle, says all is forgiven (just) and that he’s playing Sgt Pepper again

You can find the letter online here.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#2 of 24 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,871 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 24 2006 - 08:39 AM

God damn British people can be articulate sometimes. "despite our manifest differences" indeed.

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 09:11 AM

Man, what form !!!!! Love that British humor !

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 12:43 PM

"To cement our commitment, we joined the mile-high club on our way back to Britain. Sorry. Probably too much information there" Posted Image
Mike, FL

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 02:03 PM

Absolutely, that droll British humour is why I've always preferred the best Brit sitcoms to the best US ones. Trouble is, there aren't that many good Brit sitcoms.

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 02:31 PM

i propose that we call them britcoms. so did this guy write the letter directly to "macca", or did he post it online? seems like there is a lot of humor for a letter to a man who just split up with his wife. CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,769 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 08:35 PM

I agree - and so do most other Brits, I suspect. I think that the best Brit humour these days is to be found on a couple of quiz shows - Have I got News for You and QI. However, the first revolves around contemporary politics and the latter around discussions about really arcane pieces of knowledge, so I'm not sure they'd translate well to an American audience.

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,631 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 11:58 PM

That's pretty interesting. This would appear to be an "open" letter posted online and not something sent directly to Paul. That would be an interesting conversation starter - "My fiance just left me for Paul McCartney". Sounds like Heather Mills has some serious relationship issues. She may not be a golddigger but she sure did stumble into the jackpot on this one.
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 01:41 AM

I made my wife read it last night and she thought it was a riot too.

I have to say, I never really watched many British comedies but I enjoyed the British humour first hand when I visited London for the first time earlier this year -the cab driver, at the airline counter, at the pub, at the football match (Highbury).
Sorry to go off-topic a bit, maybe we should start an 'appreciation for Brit Humour' thread- perhaps already been done here at AHL Posted Image
Mike, FL

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 05:10 AM

Oooo, good choice! And you do realise how lucky you are that you managed to get there when you did, considering the place is closing and the last ever game was just played there a few weeks ago -- Arsenal are moving to a new stadium next season, so the old classic art-deco stadium will be no more (or rather, the two main stands are being converted into apartments). "Good old Arsenal, we're proud to say that name"

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,769 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 05:22 AM

The best way to enjoy Brit humour is often to join in conversations with Brits. Unless you're joined a group of psychopaths, then they're likely to be very polite at first. You know you've been accepted by most of us Brits when we start insulting you. Only if very very drunk will most Brits admit that they actually like someone else. Being insulting is our way of saying that we feel secure enough in the relationship that we can safely test the level of acceptance by spending most of our time being sarcasting or otherwise offensive. Probably the best Brit humour is in response to adversity. Workplace humour against idiotic management is probably the richest form of this.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 07:52 AM

Heathered Posted Image

Seriously, though, if I had the money, I would go over to the UK, and take ENGLISH writing classes from a Brit. Every single example I have ever seen of British correspondence has been just wonderful, in terms of honesty, and ability to express one's opinion in a memorable way - this, and the irate British NTL customer come immediately to mind.

I hope Sir Paul DOES get together with this guy for a beer. I would love to be a fly on the wall with THAT meeting!
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 08:30 AM

Smeg off.... from Dictionary.com: HUMOUR: Variant: or chiefly British hu·mour /'hyü-m&r, 'yü-/ Function: noun 1 a : a normal functioning bodily semifluid or fluid (as the blood or lymph) b : a secretion (as a hormone) that is an excitant of activity 2 in ancient and medieval physiology : a fluid or juice of an animal or plant; specifically : one of the four fluids that were believed to enter into the constitution of the body and to determine by their relative proportions a person's health and temperament Us Ahmerikins now r stuf.....

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 09:37 AM

LOL Andrew, we did partake of a few pints at the Arsenal pub after the match and there was plenty of that banter. It was all good though. We fit right in with the zingers!!
Mike, FL

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,532 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for posting that -- it was great reading! It IS funny how sometimes the person we hate most at one moment can become the person who actually understands our situation the most.

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,995 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 02:09 PM

I know its a bit off topic. But, I read that she could be entitled to around 400 million dollars. No offense...But, that is obscene. Now if she was with him before he became a Beatle until now...Ok. But, how long have they been married...4 years? Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 06:30 PM

That's $273,972.60 a *day*!
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 03:26 AM

the enemy of my enemy... is my friend Posted Image
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 08:02 AM

I read that Paul ended up hiring the lawyer in the UK, that most women try to get who are looking for huge settlements, so he beat her to the punch. Some reports say that she might only end up with 25million. Still not bad, but certainly puts into light whether she's a gold digger or not (contrary to what the first guy says).

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 08:01 AM

I read that Paul ended up hiring the lawyer in the UK, that most women try to get who are looking for huge settlements, so he beat her to the punch. Some reports say that she might only end up with 25million. Still not bad, but certainly puts into light whether she's a gold digger or not (contrary to what the first guy says).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users