Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

So I signed up for another home theater forum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   London Lawson

London Lawson

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 02:14 AM

I won't mention the name unless it's ok, but man I tell ya, what a bunch of snobs and elitists to noobs. I know not everyone there is but it seemed like a vast majority. I didn't get the nice, welcomed feeling like I sense is present here.

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 02:40 AM

I must admit that I did too when this one went dark for a few days (couldn't control the withdrawals) and found the same thing. I think a lot of those guys are professional installers/retailers and have a vested interest in some of their responses. Even more are hard-core geeks who cannot come down to a beginners level if they tried, however, there does seem to be vastly more people posting and you can get answers to more esoteric questions, I swear I haven't seen so many categories, esp. with whole house intergration. I think both forums are useful in their own ways.
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 03:28 AM

I've had similar experiences. I can probably guess which forum you're referring to. It's not against the rules to talk about another forum on here, but given the nature of this discussion, it's probably best that it go un-named as it probably isn't good to bad-mouth another forum with a similar mission.

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 03:57 AM

avscience?
avscience just strikes me as huge. Certain threads are very useful.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 04:12 AM

..the one I call: Black & Purple and pink all over. Hurts my eyes lurking any lenght of time. I use it for research on Displays.
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 04:25 AM

When I got my HDTV, I signed up looking for feedback on local HDTV stations, but man, I felt that it wasn't as organized as this forum...

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 04:33 AM

Mary. you can change the background to a stark white but it puts your eyes out. Unorganized: yeah thats what I thought.

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   John_Bonner

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 06:09 AM

Their "Home Theater Computers" section has a wealth of information (almost too much). I've found the folks in that section to be very helpful given how many repetitive threads you see. I built a HTPC last summer and got lots of great help and advice from there.

I also got great tips/tweaks/info about my Samsung DLP from there...lots of folks who own DLP/LCD post regularly.
JB

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 06:26 AM

I think my favorite threads are the "official (blank) owners" threads. I just got a Denon 3806 and there are official 3806, 4306, and 4806 owners threads. This allowed me to see the differences between the units and has given me many tweaking tips for set-up.

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Bill_D

Bill_D

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 10:56 AM

Member since 2001 with 36 whole posts. I don't contribute because of the aggressive nature and the tolerance that is extended to those certain individuals. However, as Mylan has stated, there is a wealth of information to be had if you look in the right places. I consider the place to be an unruly bar where I come in from time to time to observe .....from the corner.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 12:35 PM

I post over there too. I like that forum for technical stuff. I like to read this one for content related stuff. I post more frequently over there since my interest in front display technology has grown in the last few years. There's a lot of bi-posters. Posted Image
Mike, FL

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 08:03 PM

I must confess, when I was looking to buy a new display, and later a new HDMI-equipped DVD player, I went there fairly often, and the information there can be quite useful, but now that I'm not looking for hardware, I don't go there at all.

I'm also a member of a local (i.e. Singapore) forum, which allows me to discuss more localised topics (e.g. R3 discs, what's on local TV, sales/discounts in local shops, buying/selling second-hand items, griping about our local monopoly cable TV provider etc). But HTF is always my first stop.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 11:38 PM

Quote:
..the one I call: Black & Purple and pink all over. Hurts my eyes lurking any lenght of time. I use it for research on Displays.

I love that place Posted Image Their hardware forums are full of knowlegdeable individuals, and I've learned A LOT from them. The movie section is a different animal, though. Since the forum's focus is on hardware, there's a higher percentage of J6Ps (with regards to movies) than you're likely to find here. One guy (accomplished guitarist, DLP projector expert) prefers pan-and-scan movies because his projector was 4x3, and he didn't want "black bars". Another complained about 2.35:1 movies because he wanted to fill his 16x9 screen. Yet another complained about film grain and said "it may please 'creative' types, but it's a holdover from a bygone era. I wish all films were shot on video".
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted May 25 2006 - 01:36 AM

Every site has its strengths and weaknesses. I prefer our signal to noise ratio over here. I just wish more people participated in the Hardware areas. We kill on Software related stuff but when it comes to Hardware issues we are still in the process. I know we are trying that is for sure.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 01:51 AM

I'm the same way as many of you. For hardware, I go over there, for software and general discussion, this is the place for me.

I buy software a few times a month, and hardware maybe once a year. Guess whose site I visit more often?
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 06:37 AM

mylan, tried changes allowed past yrs and found (as you stated) I did not like the alternative options.

Its largest value (to me) is when researching new purchase and trying to wade through owners naturaly inclined defenses regarding why they selected "that product". When you see them exchanging "does yours do this?" type info, it really puts you up on what to expect in determing rating your prioritys regarding in-home preformance.
It is very tedious to wade through all the plants, specialized agenda's and attacks to find the knowlegable (and fruitful) contributions. Not that that is not everywhere on the web....but it does seem to run rampantly amok there.
I have a feeling I might crack and join in the non--stop mudd wrestling; if I lingered too long. its a baaaad influence Posted Image

May I say...Thank goodness for HTF and the caliber of its general membership. The sense of humor is better here too, adding to the overall satifaction of long term & regular participation.
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 25 2006 - 08:57 AM

I'll never cheat on my own true love, the HTF. Fooey on all of you.

Hugs,
Russ Posted Image

#18 of 31 ONLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,736 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 25 2006 - 10:02 AM

I peek thru the blinds over there a couple of times a week but doubt if I would ever become a member. I'm happy enough over here. But I'm kinda surprised that someone hasn't "kicked" me over there a couple of times for a week or two as punishment for mis-behaving over here!
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 10:06 AM

Every once in a while, I'm tempted to troll the Ultra-High End forum.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted May 25 2006 - 10:19 AM

When the HTF went down for that couple of days, I tried out the AVS Forum, it was okay but I didn't feel comfortable there, maybe because I didn't "know" anyone.

The HTF is my home.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan