Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Classic Sesame Street Boxset" Out in October

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
131 replies to this topic

#41 of 132 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Yenor
Frank Oz's characters have been recast however Frank Oz to this day still films a handful of sketches with Bert, Cookie, Grover...etc. But most material is done by a new guy.

Also the guy who plays the Count/Herry Monster and others is still around full time.

Thanks for the update on Oz. Jerry Nelson was the Count etc. and I'm glad he's still around.

Everyone keeps talking about an Elmer, er Elmo. He doesn't exist on my Street Posted Image

I wonder how many people will buy this and be surprised that Oscar was once a different color. Until one of the cable channels showed some vintage SS awhile back I had completely forgotten the "Orange Years".

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#42 of 132 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 12:48 PM

This sounds great, I hope they release follow-up collections until we have all the classic segments and sketches on DVD!!!

#43 of 132 OFFLINE   Bill_Nolan

Bill_Nolan

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 01:20 PM

Fran Brill is also still with the show, I believe. Still doing Prairie Dawn, as well as Zoe.

- Bill

#44 of 132 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,168 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 01:22 PM

If they keep the NET logo on some of those then instant sale.

#45 of 132 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 02:22 PM

Quote:
Only 2 main cast members are deceased: Mr. Hooper and David.

Speaking of David, the actor who played him, /htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif Northern Calloway, got in some legal trouble in the 1980's.
Quote:
An actor on the popular children's television series Sesame Street was charged [in Nashville, Tennesse on Sept. 19, 1980] with staging a rampage on Graybar Lane after apparently going berserk, police said.
Northern J. Calloway, 32, of New York City, was subdued by three police
officers after having beaten a woman with an iron rod, smashing the windows of one house, breaking into and vandalizing a second residence and breaking the windshield of an automobile, officers said.
"I'm David of Sesame Street and they're trying to kill me," screamed Calloway after metro ambulance personnel strapped the man--dressed only in a tee-shirt--onto a stretcher near the intersection of Graybar Lane and Benham Avenue.

#46 of 132 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 02:30 PM

[Duplicate post deleted]

#47 of 132 OFFLINE   Mark Lx

Mark Lx

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted September 07 2006 - 05:36 AM

A small thing, but I sort of resent the name "Old School", which isn't an expression that would have been used at the time. It's like they're apologizing for releasing something dated, which is the whole point.

#48 of 132 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 07 2006 - 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jacobson
Speaking of David, the actor who played him, /htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif Northern Calloway, got in some legal trouble in the 1980's.

Wow, that's freaky. And they never solved it? Did he go back to work on the show after that?

#49 of 132 OFFLINE   Bill_Nolan

Bill_Nolan

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted September 07 2006 - 06:43 AM

Heh, the info in this thread lead me to search Google for some stuff, and I found this site:

http://muppet.wikia....iki/Muppet_Wiki

Very useful.

- Bill

#50 of 132 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted September 07 2006 - 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil V
Wow, that's freaky. And they never solved it? Did he go back to work on the show after that?

He did go back to work on the show. That incident, I believe, happened around 1980. However, Northern Calloway is said to have had some psychological and other health issues. He left the show at the end of the 1988-1989 season. He died in 1990.

#51 of 132 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 07 2006 - 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lx
A small thing, but I sort of resent the name "Old School", which isn't an expression that would have been used at the time. It's like they're apologizing for releasing something dated, which is the whole point.
I didn't even think of that. I was just glad they didn't go with "Old skool" or something like that. I actually feel "Old School" is clever for this set of old educational shows.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#52 of 132 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 09:58 AM

Where did that expression come from anyways? What does 'school' have to do with most of the things it refers to- they're old, but not usually school-related.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#53 of 132 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeen
Where did that expression come from anyways? What does 'school' have to do with most of the things it refers to- they're old, but not usually school-related.
I think it started with rap music. It meant the music leading up to rap that "taught" or directed the newer rap artists in how to do it or evolved from that early music. The same can be applied to almost anything. It's pretty clever on this set.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#54 of 132 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 09 2006 - 02:05 PM

Re: Seasame Street Live..

Don't know if they have this in other city's besides New york, but I just heard an add for the latest one on the radio. Now it's more or less 'Elmo's Seasame Street Live!'. That's really sad. Why bother have the other characters that started the series on at all?

I remember going to this as a kid, getting those lightup fiber optic things, and those flashing light things. I remember bringing home something with cookie monster on it...might have been a cardboard picture attached to a stick...

Now EVERYHING is Elmo, Elmo Elmo Posted Image.

#55 of 132 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted September 09 2006 - 07:00 PM

"Old school" is a term that predates rap and its current pop culture usage. It was in use at the time of these early episodes.

It was generally used academically, in reference to a theory or approach or way of thinking that predated a more modern approach.
-Jay

#56 of 132 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted September 10 2006 - 07:21 AM

I saw a Sesame Street Live show a long time ago (early 80s), the ENTIRE thing was a tape being played straight through, and all the live performers had to lip-sync with it. I felt sorry for the actors. They ought to release just the audio that was used for these.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#57 of 132 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 04:20 AM

I think we saw SS on ice at the Omni in Atlanta in the early 70s. I remember I had a new camera and I used up all the film taking pictures of my shoes, the garbage can at the front of the building, inside my mother's purse, etc. They thought it was funny. Unfortunately I cried when they wouldn't develop my pictures. Now I have nothing to remember it by. Posted Image

Anyway, the audio from the old SS live show would be a great extra on a future set of these. I hope they'll do it.

#58 of 132 OFFLINE   Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 04:21 AM

I hope this set includes the first appearance of the Count, where Ernie builds a pyramid and the Count hypnotizes him so he can count the blocks. Gave me nightmares as a kid but I really want to see it now!
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#59 of 132 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 04:58 AM

I remember a SS without the Count. He always bored me.
You know you're old when you consider The Count a "new" character. Posted Image
-Jay

#60 of 132 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,747 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 08:57 AM

This may be the best purchase I make this year.
Talk about bringing back childhood memories.......wow.
Does anyone know when volume 2 is going to be released?

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow