-

Photo
- - - - -

"Classic Sesame Street Boxset" Out in October

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
131 replies to this topic

#21 of 132 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,369 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 11:38 PM

For me, the most classic era was around 1970, when I was in kindergarten and the show caught on in a big big way!!! That's when all the "classic" songs were on the show, like Rubber Ducky, Not Easy Being Green, etc. I have the foggiest memory of those songs being on a primetime SS special. I think I recall seeing "I Love Trash" as well on that special, or maybe I'm just trippin'. Was it maybe the Julie Andrews special? Or Sandy Duncan, or??? Hard to recall THAT far back...lol! I had the original SS cast album, and all those songs are on there, and a lot of other memorable ones. I honestly recall seeing most of those same songs on the show, however, and since we didn't have cable quite yet, it must have been a primetime special. Anyone have a better memory than me/??

#22 of 132 Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted July 05 2006 - 04:14 PM

I have a feeling that this will end up looking a lot like the Electric Company set, with several entire episodes from different seasons being mixed together. That's fine, as long as they do a good job of picking episodes that don't overlap segments and that showcase many of the segments that we remember fondly.

I will probably pick this up, but I would be most enthusiastic about a set that just contained the live-action and animated short films presented in the shows. The short little "documentaries" with children visiting a factory or taking the camera on a little tour of their neighborhood used to fascinate me, and I suspect that they still hold a certain charm. David Gordon Green has talked about how the style of these docs (especially the narration) influenced his filmmaking - something that is readily apparent in the wonderful George Washington.

#23 of 132 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted July 05 2006 - 05:26 PM

My name is Roosevelt Franklin (yeah, yeah, yeah!)

A must is the watershed episode discussing the loss of Mr. Hooper (Will Lee).
I don't like SPAM!

#24 of 132 Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:25 AM

-

#25 of 132 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Yenor
Amazon has it for $29.99(Out 10/24). We know whats on the 3 disk now as well. 5 complete hour long episodes. Plus 2 hours of sketches from 1969-1974. Sesame sketches were normally not much longer than 2 minutes so you can expect 50 or so sketches outside the ones on the 5 hours of complete episodes.

I'll add this to the first post as well.

Hey, no Elmo on the front cover! The original characters actually get first billing? Absolutley amazing Posted Image. I'm gettin' it.

#26 of 132 Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:53 AM

-

#27 of 132 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,005 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 07:48 AM

Who is this "Elmo" you speak of? Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#28 of 132 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 01:15 PM

I've waited my whole life for this news!

I'll buy every single volume released!!!

#29 of 132 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 05 2006 - 07:03 PM

This may sound terrible, but I will get these in hopes of getting my kids to watch, so that we can go through the Mr. Hooper passes away episode later.

I know that sounds bad, but there is very little childrens programming out there that deals with loss and death, etc. and the Mr. Hooper episode was handled so well that while I cried, I understood the basic point.

There are very few moments in television of any sort that were as powerful as that episode. Period.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#30 of 132 Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Yenor
Well Elmo didn't join the cast till 1985 so there is no way he'd appear on the first(or second and third) volume of these dvd's. Posted Image

I think Elmo's first appearance was somewhere around 1979, actually. . .

#31 of 132 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 01:58 AM

This is great! One of my fave Sesame Street memories is seeing Burt Lancaster recite the alphabet! A clip was featured on an A&E Biography segment on him, and I remember screaming in joy seeing it after several decades. It'll be great to see Will Lee as Mr. Hooper, Matt Robinson as the original Gordon, and those early musical countdown numbers (remember the chef with all those pastries falling down the stairs?). And let's not forget Grace Slick's version of 'vocalese' as she did her countdowns!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#32 of 132 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
This is great! One of my fave Sesame Street memories is seeing Burt Lancaster recite the alphabet! A clip was featured on an A&E Biography segment on him, and I remember screaming in joy seeing it after several decades. It'll be great to see Will Lee as Mr. Hooper, Matt Robinson as the original Gordon, and those early musical countdown numbers (remember the chef with all those pastries falling down the stairs?). And let's not forget Grace Slick's version of 'vocalese' as she did her countdowns!

They replaced Gordon? I thought all the humans on the show still where original cast members. Although the only original voices left are Big Bird and Kevin Clashes Elmo. Granted, I havn't watched it in about 15 years, however Posted Image.

Is there any good book that details the history of Seasame Street with pictures? There was a Jim Henson Book with Kermit one the cover that I read, but none that either focus soley on SS or Fraggle Rock that I know of.

#33 of 132 David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 03:09 AM

There is a book titled "Sesame Street Unpaved" by David Borgenicht that came out in 1998 that is EXACTLY what you are looking for. It has tons of pictures and anecdotes and little known trivia.

I think this DVD release sounds so cool! I'm especially excited to see the very first episode, something I've always thought they should release on DVD. I think the cover art is awesome as well. It's too bad it can't come out a week or so earlier so I could get it for my birthday.

#34 of 132 Jack Platt

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 04:34 AM

This is AWSOME! For anyone with children or who grew up in this time period, longing for the memories of what Classic Children's TV was, this is a gem!

I remember so many great skits:

1.) The painter that would paint numbers on people

2.) Super Grover, Grover The Waiter/the complaining customer who could never decide what he wanted.

3.) Rosevelt Franklin

4.) Guy Smiley

5.) Sherlock Hemlock, (The world's greatest detective.)

But my favorite are still the Earnie and Bert sketches! The funniest duo since Fred Flinstone and Barney Rubble together! Remember:

"There's a bannana in my ear."

" Earnie forgets the nose on his portrait of Bert!"

"Earnie can't sleep": (My favorite) So Bert tells him to do something relaxing like "count sheep." He settles back and we see the little drawing of the sheep fense and the sheep jumping over it making a "baaaaaa" sound. After Earnie counts two sheep, he tells the audience he's bored and wants to count something more exciting! So he goes, "Hey! I think I'll count fire engines!" So then he tries to go to sleep and the first fire engine comes on the screen with the siren blasting! Bert screems!!!! "AAAAAAARGGGG! Earnie, what are you doing?!!!!" Earnie: "Well, I'm counting fire engines Bert, counting sheep was so boring. Bert, "Ernie listen, YOU CAN'T COUNT FIRE ENGINES! That's too loud , you'll wake up the whole neighborhood. Think of something you can count, quietly!"

Earnie than give it a lot of thought, and tells the audience, "OK, Mummmmm, I'll think about baloons. They won't wake up Bert, and nothing's really quieter than that." So he imagines a balloon and it slowley keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger, than POPS!!! BOOOM!!!!!! Bert screams "AAAAAARRGGHHHH EARNIE!!!!!" And Earnie just counts, "one"!! LOL!

Jack

#35 of 132 Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 04:43 AM

-

#36 of 132 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil V
They replaced Gordon? I thought all the humans on the show still where original cast members. Although the only original voices left are Big Bird and Kevin Clashes Elmo. Granted, I havn't watched it in about 15 years, however Posted Image.

If memory serves there have been 3 Gordons although one didn't last too long. Only 2 main cast members are deceased: Mr. Hooper and David.

The guy who does BB also does Oscar so wouldn't that be the original voice also? What about Frank Oz? Does he still do voices for the show?

Isn't the guy who painted numbers also the same guy who played Bentley on the Jeffersons?

I also have the UNPAVED book and highly recommend it. It's a fun read and can be found cheaply at remainder stores, etc.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#37 of 132 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 06:10 AM

You're right, Steve- that's Paul Benedict with a beard on! BTW, Carroll Spinney (Big Bird/Oscar) received a Lifetime Achievement Emmy at this year's Daytime Emmys.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#38 of 132 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,726 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 06 2006 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Platt
"Earnie can't sleep": (My favorite) So Bert tells him to do something relaxing like "count sheep." He settles back and we see the little drawing of the sheep fense and the sheep jumping over it making a "baaaaaa" sound. After Earnie counts two sheep, he tells the audience he's bored and wants to count something more exciting! So he goes, "Hey! I think I'll count fire engines!" So then he tries to go to sleep and the first fire engine comes on the screen with the siren blasting! Bert screems!!!! "AAAAAAARGGGG! Earnie, what are you doing?!!!!" Earnie: "Well, I'm counting fire engines Bert, counting sheep was so boring. Bert, "Ernie listen, YOU CAN'T COUNT FIRE ENGINES! That's too loud , you'll wake up the whole neighborhood. Think of something you can count, quietly!"

Earnie than give it a lot of thought, and tells the audience, "OK, Mummmmm, I'll think about baloons. They won't wake up Bert, and nothing's really quieter than that." So he imagines a balloon and it slowley keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger, than POPS!!! BOOOM!!!!!! Bert screams "AAAAAARRGGHHHH EARNIE!!!!!" And Earnie just counts, "one"!! LOL!

Jack
This brings tears to my eyes. I haven't thought of that in years.

*adds to "most wanted" list*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
I also have the UNPAVED book and highly recommend it. It's a fun read and can be found cheaply at remainder stores, etc.

Steve
Thanks for the heads up on that book. I'm going to get that too before you can't find it anymore.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#39 of 132 Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 07:19 AM

-

#40 of 132 Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
If memory serves there have been 3 Gordons although one didn't last too long. Only 2 main cast members are deceased: Mr. Hooper and David.

The guy who does BB also does Oscar so wouldn't that be the original voice also? What about Frank Oz? Does he still do voices for the show?

Isn't the guy who painted numbers also the same guy who played Bentley on the Jeffersons?

Steve

The original actor to play Gordon was Matt Robinson, the father of Holly Robinson-Peete. He played Gordon for the first three seasons. Matt Robinson went on to work on "The Cosby Show." He died in 2002.

Robinson was replaced by Harold "Hal" Miller, who played Gordon for the 1972-1973 and 1973-1974 seasons. After Miller left Roscoe Orman took over the role, and Orman still plays Gordon today. I feel Robinson was the best Gordon, probably because he was the Gordon I grew up with.

I believe Oz and Spinney still do voices some of the time, but not very often. They have other performers doing the characters the majority of the time. Kevin Clash (current Elmo performer) joined the show some time in the 1980s. He was the voice of Goriddle Gorilla on "The Great Space Coaster." There was another Elmo voice before Clash, and I have read that some variation of the character (one of the "Anything Muppets") might even date back to around 1970 or so (according to what Carroll Spinney supposedly stated in his autobiography; I personally haven't read it).

Yes, "The Mad Painer" was Paul Benedict.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow