Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Great News! Opie & Anthony Virus Looks To Spread Within Weeks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,621 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 12:30 AM

O&A to Citadel
Opie & Anthony Virus Looks To Spread Within Weeks

May 19, 2006

Will Citadel Broadcasting be the next company to cut a deal with XM Satellite Radio and help spread the Opie & Anthony virus on terrestrial radio's airwaves? It looks like a deal might be closed within the next couple weeks that could put O&A on another half-dozen stations on top of the seven they grabbed in the deal with CBS Radio.

That little bombshell was inadvertently dropped at the end of today's XM portion of the dual platform radio stars' show when Opie's mobile phone rang and he carried out a conversation with Citadel CEO Farid Suleman on the other end. The details of conversation made Anthony nervous enough that he started to dump the conversation from XM's airwaves before just ending the entire program for the day.

Providence was one of the markets mentioned on-air, marking the second time a conversation between O&A and Suleman has brought up the Rhode Island market. Also mentioned were Buffalo and New London, CT. Buffalo would be intriguing as to where O&A would fit as both of the natural outlets -- WGRF and WEDG -- have long established and well-performing morning shows with Norton In The Morning and Shredd & Ragan, respectively.

"We're talking to everybody," Opie & Anthony's agent Bob Eatman told FMQB: "We're syndicating the program and there is a lot of interest from a number of great companies." The Los Angeles-based agent is handling all syndication deals for O&A's program and added that he expects to have "a dozen new affiliates" within weeks.

If the deals Eatman expects come to fruition, O&A's station count would rival the height of their days of Infinity Broadcasting syndication. O&A were launched into syndication in June of 2001 after inking a long-term deal with Infinity. Their rapid-fire syndication saw them land on stations from coast to coast, including Philadelphia, Chicago, Sacramento, Columbus, Cleveland, Dallas, Albany, San Francisco, Washington, DC, Boston, Buffalo, Portland, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Reno, Cincinnati, Rochester and Seattle.

As far as XM’s comment on expanding O&A's empire, a spokesperson relayed this message to FMQB, "EVP of Programming Eric Logan, along with Opie & Anthony’s agent, Bob Eatman, strategically evaluate all new syndication offers for the Opie & Anthony Show. To date, the only confirmed terrestrial expansion for O&A is through CBS, which CBS Radio Chairman and CEO Joel Hollander referenced during his appearance on the program last week, saying he wants to air O&A on additional CBS Radio-owned stations in the near-future."

A calls to Citadel for comment had gone unreturned at press time.

http://www.fmqb.com/...e.asp?id=219637

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   James St

James St

Supporting Actor

• 959 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 12:57 PM

New cities announced today...

Washington D.C.
Detroit
Columbus
Rochester

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 04:57 AM

I listened to their interview with Kevin Smith & Jay Mohr. As a huge Kevin Smith fan, I'm always excited to hear him on anything. Jay Mohr can be funny at times and I enjoyed that aspect of the show. That Jim Norton is flat out unfunny. He'd pipe-up occassionally and I just didn't get it. Are O&A always so obsessed with Stern when they're talking and just about invisible when they have guests in studio?

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,621 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 08:16 PM

Tim,

You need to hear more than one show to make an evaluation.

I'd give them a 2-week trial at the least.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Brent T

Brent T

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 01:02 AM

I agree with Ron here. I listened to OnA way back when they were on WYSP in philly and I tried them again while Stern was on vacation. In my opinion their show doesnt come close to making me laugh as much as Stern does, I do not think their cast is that funny and they do seem to have an obsession with the king of all media. However they are better then the other crap you hear in the morning on philly FM.

I do think they will do very well in their FM markets, there just isnt any other sort of competition out there right now to be any sort of threat (other then XM and Sirius).

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 10:14 AM

Quote:
That Jim Norton is flat out unfunny. He'd pipe-up occassionally and I just didn't get it.

I remember him being unusually quiet on the day that Kevin Smith and Jay Mohr was in studio. He's usually very active on the show. He has a pretty sick and very un P.C. sense of humor. So I guess he isn't for everyone. I think he's great on the show.

As has been said, it's very hard to evaluate their show on one listen. They do a lot of "In the know" humor that you might only get if you have listened for awhie.

Quote:
and they do seem to have an obsession with the king of all media.

As had Howard with his competition earlier in his career. So I think it's kind of unfair to judge them on that.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Brent T

Brent T

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
As had Howard with his competition earlier in his career. So I think it's kind of unfair to judge them on that.

Sorry Will its not early in OnA's career. They have been around for over a long time. And when Stern did talk about the competition he went after them in each market and deystroyed them in the ratings and was funny doing it. From what I heard the other week on OnA it was just whining and it sounded sad instead of humerous.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 11 2006 - 12:01 AM

Then again, they have apparently spent days on end trashing how XM can't get them good guests, etc. This is working out to be fantastic advertising for XM Posted Image I managed to catch three shows last week when I travelled, and just thought about the marketing power this has for XM.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,621 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 12:31 AM

Matt,

This has enormous marketing value for XM and I am so happy
that the boys have the opportunity to lure more people to
satellite radio.

Ronald J Epstein

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 01:12 AM

Yeah I'm not a big fan of O&A or Jim Norton, I have'nt listened to Stern much in the last few years either. I'm either on Cspan or Air America in the Mornings, guess I find too much political stuff to laugh at
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

Forum Nav Content I Follow