Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Fugitive-A QM Production

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#1 of 88 phil*

phil*

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 05:24 AM

What's the holdup with "The Fugitive" starring David Janssen?

Arguably,this was one of the best series to air on network tv and spawned a highly successful movie starring Harrison Ford...

#2 of 88 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 01:57 PM

[quote=phil*]What's the holdup with "The Fugitive" starring David Janssen?/QUOTE]

I'm sure there are many people who would love to know the answer to this question.

#3 of 88 michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 03:26 PM

Yes, it's been hashed out in several threads by now. "The Fugitive" gets my vote as the #1 oversight for vintage television series not on DVD. The VERY ZENITH of classic tv drama--and it shows no signs whatsoever of being targeted for release. Just boggles the mind...

#4 of 88 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 23 2006 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_ks
and it shows no signs whatsoever of being targeted for release. Just boggles the mind...

Ain't it the truth. Are there some hidden rights/clearance issues about this one? I wonder since this one has a popular following, according to the posts I've read at HTF.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#5 of 88 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted May 23 2006 - 07:52 AM

It may require a lot of restoration work. The VHS tapes that were released in the late '90s were a mixed bag of grainy and scratched film sources along with others that were sourced from syndication video tapes and had digital speed-up problems.

Let's hope that when it finally DOES appear, it's done right. I, for one, am not interested in another bunch of digitally sped-up episodes, and I'm a huge fan.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#6 of 88 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-N
It may require a lot of restoration work. The VHS tapes that were released in the late '90s were a mixed bag of grainy and scratched film sources along with others that were sourced from syndication video tapes and had digital speed-up problems.

Let's hope that when it finally DOES appear, it's done right. I, for one, am not interested in another bunch of digitally sped-up episodes, and I'm a huge fan.

Harry

There hasn't been a former Worldvision show yet that has come out remastered. Both Combat and Doris Day have both been released in their timesped forms. Apparently Worldvision didn't have the good sense to make clean, non sped-up masters on their shows when they were putting them to tape in the 80s.

#7 of 88 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 12:10 PM

Quote:
The VERY ZENITH of classic tv drama--and it shows no signs whatsoever of being targeted for release. Just boggles the mind...
Amen to that.

Repeating a message I found elsewhere on the Internet in mid-2005 (re. Quinn Martin programs):

"As of 2005, the Republic Pictures holdings consist of a catalog of 3,000 films and TV series, including the original Republic library (except for the Roy Rogers and Gene Autry catalogs, which are owned by their respective estates), the pre-1973 NBC library (including Bonanza), most of the Quinn Martin shows (The Fugitive, The Streets Of San Francisco, etc.), and Aaron Spelling's catalog (The Love Boat, Twin Peaks, Beverly Hills 90210, etc.), and selected pre-1952 UA (High Noon, Copacabana, etc.) and NTA holdings (Fleischer cartoons, It's a Wonderful Life, etc.). These are now sold on video through Lions Gate Home Entertainment, while Paramount Pictures holds television and theatrical distribution rights. In September of 2005, Paramount will gain full use of the Republic library as they will inherit the video rights from Lions Gate."

http://tv.groups.yah....4?viscount=100

Here's what "The Fugitive '63-'67" deserves (via my personal it's-never-gonna-happen make-believe "Dream DVD"): Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co....ews/6304865457

#8 of 88 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 01:51 PM

Quote:
I'm positive will arrive at our doorsteps in the not-too-distant future; I'd bet Fred Johnson's remaining limb on that)....

Healthwatch: Fred Johnson's remaining limb Posted Image

Seriously, for $18.99 I'd buy it!
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#9 of 88 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 02:59 PM

I might even pay up to $19.05 for that mega set.

Posted Image

#10 of 88 michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 01:50 AM

Quote:
Here's what "The Fugitive '63-'67" deserves (via my personal it's-never-gonna-happen make-believe "Dream DVD"):

"Keep hope alive", David. A true labor of love, here--superbly conceived. No price is too high for a set like this...

#11 of 88 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 02:33 AM

Well, I have to disagree with Harry regarding the 1990s VHS releases of The Fugitive. The ones I bought looked great -- and they were all remastered even then. My only complaint is that a few of the volumes I had suffered from video dropouts, but that's to be expected with videotapes. They weren't sped up either. The VHS releases from World Vision Video were all 50 minutes each (plus the intros by Barry Morse as well).

#12 of 88 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted May 24 2006 - 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff#
Well, I have to disagree with Harry regarding the 1990s VHS releases of The Fugitive. The ones I bought looked great -- and they were all remastered even then.
....They weren't sped up either. The VHS releases from World Vision Video were all 50 minutes each (plus the intros by Barry Morse as well).

My tapes were from an outfit called NuVentures Video (I think that's the name), and had the Barry Morse intros. Some of the episodes were sourced from video and sped up, (like "Nightmare At Northoak", one of the classic episodes), and some were sourced from fairly grainy prints (like "Landscapes With Running Figures") that ran at the proper speed.

As I recall, the color episodes were all from film, and were inconsistent in their color rendering, sometimes appearing too pink, other times too green.

All of the syndication prints that WOR/EMI Service ran in the late '90s were time-sped. You can easily tell, just by listening to the warbling of the great Pete Rugolo score and other source music.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#13 of 88 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 30 2006 - 01:14 AM

Well, TSoD has posted a rumor about a possible release coming. Hope it pans out.

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=5751

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#14 of 88 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
Well, TSoD has posted a rumor about a possible release coming. Hope it pans out.

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=5751

Thanks for posting this, Jeff. Hopefully, it's a situation of "where there is smoke, there is fire." This is encouraging news.

#15 of 88 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 02:21 AM

Quote:
Rumor...possible...{Fugitive}...release...coming. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
I haven't been quite this keyed up since March 8, 1966, when Dr. Richard Kimble slipped through Lt. Philip Gerard's fingers yet again in "Ill Wind" (after twice saving Gerard's life). Posted Image

Now....if only one or two of my "Dream" special features could be worked into the Season-One DVD collection. Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co....679552-6293763

Posted Image

#16 of 88 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 02:26 AM

I'm willing to wait in order for it to be done right, i.e., remastered and at the proper speed and running time. This is probably the best dramatic show in television history and deserves proper treatment. Better they take their time than throw it out there as is like Image did with Combat.

#17 of 88 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 02:39 AM

Quote:
I'm willing to wait in order for it to be done right, i.e., remastered and at the proper speed and running time.
I fully agree with those sentiments, Michael. But, by the same token, we "Fuge fans" have already been "waiting" for quite a few years for this great show to come to season-by-season DVD form.

But, actually, in a way, I'm kind of glad the show wasn't released in, say, 2000 or 2001, when the "Season Sets Of TV Shows" craze was just getting underway....because by waiting for a few years, the overall quality of DVD products has no doubt gotten better, and Paramount has gotten very experienced with how to do TV-on-DVD right (IMO).*

* = I.E.: Great transfers from original source material, if possible, and nice user-friendly packaging...plus darn-good prices on many DVD sets. I, for one, am glad it's "Paramount" producing "The Fugitive (1963)" on DVD. Their track record should = Good-looking Fugitive episodes.

~knocking all wooden surfaces within reach~ Posted Image

#18 of 88 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 04:04 AM

The Fugutive was indeed one of the most outstanding TV series ever made. You'd think after all these years and a 1990s VHS release that it would have been on DVD by now. That time will come, so I wouldn't worry about it. Posted Image

#19 of 88 michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 05:32 AM

I've been scouring the net trying to find other tidbits of information, but no luck. I feel confident, just the same that "The Fugitive" will see a release sometime in '06-'07. There are just too many fans clamoring for what is widely regarded as the tv drama by which all others are measured. And I do breathe a sigh of relief that it was not released 5 years ago, along with Paramount in control of this. For, better a Paramount '06 than a Universal '03, if you catch my meaning...

#20 of 88 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 06:52 AM

Quote:
There are just too many fans clamoring for what is widely regarded as the tv drama by which all others are measured.
If you mean in terms of a drama series with continuing characters, then The Fugitive is definitely a contender....but only one of the contenders. Naked City and Route 66 before it are too. However...GUNSMOKE has the supreme honor. All of them are fueled by performances from the guest stars just as much as the regulars.

When it comes to stellar drama that others are judged by, The Twilight Zone wins in the Anthology category. Posted Image

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow