Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lois & Clark Worth It??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 03:41 AM

I don't remember much about this series except Terri Hatcher Posted Image But being a big fan of Smallville I've been tempted to start picking up the series.

So I was wondering how is this show being treated on DVD? Good video/audio? Good extras? Any feedback would be welcome.

#2 of 27 LeonaB

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 09:34 AM

L&C seems to divide fans. Some adore the show, some loathe it. Personally, I'm in the ADORE category, at least for the first two seasons.

I don't watch Smallville, so I can't speak to your tastes. But with L&C, the focus is more romance than action-adventure. The first season especially was very reminiscent of the screwball romantic comedies of the 40s. And in this series, Lois and Clark are the featured players, not Superman (A lot of "fanboys" didn't like the show because of that).

Season 1 of L&C is my absolute favorite! The creator of the show, Deborah Joy Levine, had a very specific idea that this was an adult show, very much more Moonlighting than Adventures of Superman. Unfortunately, the ratings weren't great, so she was forced out and the show became more campy in later seasons.

So to answer your question, YES, I'd definitely recommend L&C. Try S1 to see if it's your cup of tea.

#3 of 27 Eve Brown

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 11:12 AM

I love the show and its what started my interest in Superman. I enjoyed all seasons and was left frustated at the series finale because there was going to be a 5th season but then they picked up more drew crewy to get out of it since both were made by warner brothers. I read some 5th season fanfic done and enjoym it but it have been better to get that 5th tv season.

#4 of 27 Duane Alford

Duane Alford

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 08:26 PM

I never watched it during it's initial run on ABC, and to be honest I hated the idea of yet another Superman remake. A couple of years ago I started catching the reruns aired on TNT in the early morning hours and I got hooked! I waited for a while after Season 1 was released and WalMart eventually dropped it $19.99. I picked it up, and loved it. As soon as I get caught up on what else I have to watch, I'll be picking up Season 2.

#5 of 27 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 08:48 PM

I enjoyed it when it was briunging broadcast but now I can't stand to watch it ... it's only a love story about Clark Kent and Lois Lane and isn't about the Superman myth which is what Superman fans are angry about. The only good thing about the series is Teri Hatcher which caused every fan to become obsessed.

#6 of 27 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 23 2006 - 04:56 AM

I might be in the minority here, but I love this one on DVD. I do think that after S2, it lost some of it's appeal to me. And I agree that S1 was the best one. The main issue that I have with this series (DVD) is the less-than-expected transfer quality. The images appear to me to be "soft" and "fuzzy". Comparing a couple of series that originated 25-30 years earlier (Time Tunnel, Twilight Zone Def Version), L & C S1 comes in a distant "2nd place" to these two examples. I haven't seen S2 yet, still viewing S1. Seems strange to me that a series in the 90's isn't as good (xfr) as some of the 60's TV/DVD's.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#7 of 27 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 05:50 AM

That would be for the same reason Star Trek TNG doesn't look as good as TOS on DVD. The show was originally edited on video, so you have to live with the film-to-tape transfer quality that was achieved at the time the show was produced.
-Jay

#8 of 27 Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 05:53 AM

I wouldn't recommend L&C if you're only reason for interest is because you like Smallville. Two entirely different concepts. If you want to see a nice romantic-comedy type of show, pick up Moonlighting instead -- it's far superior. I didn't find much at all to like about L&C and it was a chore to get through for me.

#9 of 27 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,853 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 08:12 AM

One of my beefs is that besides Lex Luthor they never really used any of Supes comic villains..And when they did they were done ridiculously.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#10 of 27 James@R

James@R

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 08:39 AM

You can watch 10 episodes of Lois and Clark online thanks to AOL's In2TV site- which should be more than enough to let you know if you'll like it. The episodes stream for free, and are broken up into several chapters.

In addition to seeing their take on Metallo (pretty lame, actually), they have 'All Shook Up', which was a remake of the Adventures of Superman's 'Panic in the Sky'. (The latter is considered the definitive episode of the George Reeves' series.)

http://television.ao....&defaultItem=0

They also offer episodes from several other classic shows. And this is where I sigh as I think about Lynda Carter.

#11 of 27 RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 12:12 PM

I can't view the eps on that page because I'm outside the US. Anyways I've been doing some reading about the series and the more I find out about it the more I think I'll like it.

#12 of 27 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,333 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 06:08 AM

This was probably the worst super-hero show in the history of the world. They tried to make it appeal to women, and instead it appealed to no one. I mean, Superman fought THE JEFFERSONS for corn's sake...THE JEFFERSONS!!! And then he fought Drew Carey and that big fat bitch with the make-up. Oooooo... real scary!

#13 of 27 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,853 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 06:39 AM

The show also suffers from what most movie/tv comic shows suffer from. They act is if they are the only superhero in the world...almost ignoring every other superhero. This happens in both Marvel & DC movies & tv shows. Although, I do believe L&C once made a comment about the "nut" in Gotham.

I think Smallville was the first tv/movie to bring in other actual heroes. Besides the animated shows.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#14 of 27 Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

• 1,370 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 06:47 AM

In Spiderman the movie Aunt May make a reference to Superman?

#15 of 27 Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 06:51 AM

Aunt May's line was just a little wink-wink joke for comic fans. I believe what Todd refers to is things like the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man ignoring the other's villains and problems except in special cases, even though they both live in NYC.

#16 of 27 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,853 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonHar
Aunt May's line was just a little wink-wink joke for comic fans. I believe what Todd refers to is things like the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man ignoring the other's villains and problems except in special cases, even though they both live in NYC.

Exactly. It just seems like every tv show/movie acts like that he/she is the only superhero in the world.

#17 of 27 HowardPaul

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 03:49 PM

I had a lukewarm reaction to Season 1. I made the purchase
based on favorable comments on this Forum. I think some of the main supporting characters were very poorly cast. The worst example of this is Superman's mom. Forgive me for being blunt, but she looked like a dried up old hag in the scenes she appeared in. I have no idea how she got the part. (I must admit that I might be biased by the mom in Smallville) I also found the co-worker who is always trying to get Clark in bed with her offensively cast and portrayed.
Way overdone, imo.
I have no problem with the leads.
The show lost its appeal for me pretty quickly as the first season wore on.
How

#18 of 27 TimT

TimT

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 01:57 AM

I am a huge Superman fan and will stick with most things Superman even when they are not that great. I was not that thrilled with Lois and Clark when it first came out and I definately struggled with my decision to stick with it as the first season progressed. However, I really felt the show started to get going after a few episodes into the second season. I don't remember at what point the show jumped the shark, but it had at least a year and a half or two that were quite good for me. So, RogerH, don't give up on it if you aren't completely thrilled with that first season. In my opinion... it does get better.

#19 of 27 Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,375 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted May 25 2006 - 04:25 AM

I'm a big Superman fan myself and found the show pretty lame. Some of the people were cast fine but Dean Cain as a Hawaiian Superman was just not right. In his defense though, he made a fine Clark Kent. The writing and stories were sophmoric at best. Obviously you have people who like it as evidenced in this thread, so my advice is if you can somehow rent it or get a sampling (or purchase it for dirt cheap), I would do that.

#20 of 27 Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 06:45 AM

The only thing I really liked about it was the guy who played Perry White. He was pretty good. But the stories were mostly sophomoric, as Gary said, the writing was cringeworthy, Dean Cain was a terrible actor and the series was almost completely devoid of continuity and drama.