Otto Preminger Box Set, anyone?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Claude North

Claude North

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 05:33 PM

I was thinking that it might be interesting if Otto Preminger's films from the late 60s/early 70s were released on DVD. I don't know if they're all from the same studio (Paramount?), but they might make an interesting collection nonetheless.

Specifically, I'm thinking of:

HURRY SUNDOWN
SKIDOO
SUCH GOOD FRIENDS
TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME, JUNIE MOON

Any takers?

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,251 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 05:59 PM

I doubt if there would be much viability in such a box set because those are amongst Preminger's worst films. Skiddo and Tell Me That You Love Me, June Moon are impossible to sit through, at least for me (and most of America too it seems as they were major bombs at their time of release).

The other two are also bad but Hurry Sundown gets guilty pleasure status from me and I like the cast of Such Good Friends especially Dyan Cannon and would get it for her.

Of course, for the Preminger completists, I suppose the box set would be desired.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   JohnPM

JohnPM

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 11:31 PM

There must be some pretty byzantine rights issues with some of these titles, as I imagine the Preminger estate has some residual ownership in a number of them. Would it be worth going to the trouble to clear those?

http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 12:12 AM

I hope Paramount at least releases Skiddoo, I think it was Leon Shamroy's last film. or maybe the F.B.I. is still worried the film portrays them in a bad light?, so they won't allow release of the film? Posted Image

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 04:32 AM

this set would definately be an expensive flop!!!
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,252 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 20 2006 - 09:40 AM

I'd buy this set if it included Preminger's PORGY AND BESS, but we KNOW we aren't going to be seeing THAT any time soon.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,155 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 10:16 AM

I'd settle for a decent anamorphic remaster of EXODUS from Sony.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I'd settle for a decent anamorphic remaster of EXODUS from Sony.
Good call, the current transfer is terrible, and is from a 35mm reduction. I don't consider this one of Preminger's best, but it features some pretty interesting uses of 65mm.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Claude North

Claude North

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T
I doubt if there would be much viability in such a box set because those are amongst Preminger's worst films. Skiddo and Tell Me That You Love Me, June Moon are impossible to sit through, at least for me (and most of America too it seems as they were major bombs at their time of release).

The other two are also bad but Hurry Sundown gets guilty pleasure status from me and I like the cast of Such Good Friends especially Dyan Cannon and would get it for her.

Of course, for the Preminger completists, I suppose the box set would be desired.

Granted, a box set might not do well, but as individual releases, these films might do well. ...JUNIE MOON has its admirers, while the other three films, I suspect, would sell a certain number based on curiosity. And, really, what film doesn't have a following of some sort?

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,148 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 07:03 PM

Well, the people that would be most amenable to doing a Preminger set, WB, kinda shot themselves in the foot, because they have already included ADVISE AND CONSENT in the "Controversial Classics" box, and made a good 2-disc set of THE CARDINAL. All they have left are SAINT JOAN, THE MOON IS BLUE, and THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (the latter horked by so many PD issues they are likely loath to release it), and those may not be enough to get people to double dip on the Premingers they already own.

Now, between Preminger's work for UA and Columbia, Sony could put together a good set of unreleased work. That is, if Sony gave a tinker's cusp about such things.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 02:27 AM

Fox has not released CENTENNIEL SUMMER, MARGIN FOR ERROR, THE THIRTEENTH LETTER, DAISY KENYON, THE FAN, A ROYAL SCANDAL, THAT LADY IN ERMINE, IN THE MEANTIME, DARLING, DANGER, LOVE AT WORK (available in R2) and UNDER YOUR SPELL. WB should bring out THE MOON IS BLUE as a controversial classic and ANGEL FACE as a noir.
Charles Hoyt

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,893 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 23 2006 - 09:48 AM

I'm not really familiar with Otto, but I'd probably give most of his films a shot, based largely on what has come out in the controversial classics and Fox Film Noir lines.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 385 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted November 01 2012 - 09:59 AM

I hope Paramount at least releases Skiddoo, I think it was Leon Shamroy's last film. or maybe the F.B.I. is still worried the film portrays them in a bad light?, so they won't allow release of the film? Posted Image

He did "Hello Dolly" in 1969!
Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,184 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 03:36 PM

Surprised to see this six-year-old thread pop up; in any case, obvious progress has been made, with some of these titles graduating to Blu-ray. Still waiting on JUNIE MOON and some of the Fox titles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow