Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful Special Editions set for 8/29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA

Posted May 19 2006 - 04:18 PM

Yet another announcement from DavisDVD (I swear I don't work for them). Both are set to include a commentary by director Howard Deutch and featurettes. Judging from the specs, the "Pretty in Pink" DVD might possibly include the film's original ending. If you look at the info posted at DavisDVD, you can make your own judgements. To me, it looks to be a featurette about it instead of the actual ending.

Also, the commentary on Some Kind of Wonderful will also feature Lea Thompson as well.

I only care about Pretty in Pink; never cared too much for Some Kind of Wonderful, but there are people who like it and I can respect that.

All I can say is I'm glad I never picked up the original copy, although I was tempted a couple of times there. Glad I waited.

Retail is $14.99 a piece.
"...so here we go." --"Punch-Drunk Love"

Last 5 Blu-Rays Purchased: Notes on a Scandal (2006), The Big Chill: Criterion Collection (1983), Schindler's List (1993), Casper (1995), The Fault in Our Stars: Little Infinities Edition (2014)

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 20 2006 - 05:47 AM

Excellent news! I often wondered why I hadn't gotten 'round to picking up my fave '80s teen comedy-drama (PRETTY IN PINK) on DVD yet, and now I know why! I'd KILL to see that original ending...I dearly hope it's included!

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 07:08 AM

Pretty in Pink is very tempting. Some Kind of Wonderful is just Ok although the scene where Stoltz shows his sketch to his detention buddy who then shows him what he's been carving into the desk is absolutely classic.
I wish Universal would release SEs of their Hughes films which have been promised for years and reportedly have had extras ready for.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 02:40 PM

I should have seen this coming as I already got the PiP barebones release sometime ago. Oh well....I guess I can dump it in a used DVD shop. I will likely pickup both SE's as I enjoy both films.
Recently watched- Lethal Weapon, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   John*P

John*P

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 09:54 PM

I must say that I am very disappointed that John Hughes isn't participating in these commentary tracks...or probably on any of the featurettes. (I wonder if Paramount even asked him, or if they even told him they were doing these SEs?)

Quote:
Judging from the specs, the "Pretty in Pink" DVD might possibly include the film's original ending. If you look at the info posted at DavisDVD, you can make your own judgements. To me, it looks to be a featurette about it instead of the actual ending.

Yeah, that was my initial impression as well. :-/ We'll see...

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 21 2006 - 06:40 AM

The original ending WAS filmed, correct? It wasn't just in the script, was it?

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   jeff strickler

jeff strickler

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 06:48 AM

John Hughes and the studios do not get along.

I swear I read somewhere that he won't participate in extras anymore unless the studios spring for better quality (a BREAKFAST CLUB "reconstruction" comes to mind). And I think he severed ties with Paramount completely in recent years.

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff strickler

I swear I read somewhere that he won't participate in extras anymore unless the studios spring for better quality (a BREAKFAST CLUB "reconstruction" comes to mind). And I think he severed ties with Paramount completely in recent years.

I'm inclined to believe that, especially since his commentary track from the original FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF DVD was notoriously absent from the new expanded DVD that came out recently. I don't know if commentary tracks are owned in perpetuity by the studios that record them or if participants get back-ends from their usage, but I would not be surprised if either he denied permission to repurpose it or Paramount omitted it so as not to repay him.

I don't blame him for being difficult. He has made a lot of money for the studios he worked for, created an entire subgenre. And in the years his movies have been available on video, they have suffered song substitutions, poor transfers, and featureless presentations. Even today, if you buy any of his movies you'll get the proper theatrical version, but that's about all you'll get. No trailers (music reclearance), few retrospective interviews (no desire to pay talent to appear), and no extra footage (unwilling to comb vault for scenes). Meanwhile, derivative sheiss like 13 GOING ON 30 gets the royal treatment. I can totally see Hughes going Cameron Frye on this whole matter.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff strickler

I guess that doesn't bode well for a Planes, Traines, & Automobiles special edition, does it?

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 11:58 AM

What was PiP original ending (curious now...)
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 22 2006 - 01:23 PM

Andie goes for Duckie, not Blaine.

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   john mcfadden

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 05:18 PM

The original ending was included in the movie tie-in novel when the film was in general release. And is a drastic left turn from the flow of the film . I cant wait to see it .

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 03:17 AM

I read that hughes liked the original ending more,
but didn't want to give the message that cross-class relationships couldn't work.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   John*P

John*P

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 05:43 PM

Well, I just saw the cover art for these 2 DVDs...

Some Kind of Wonderful: Special Collector's Edition

and...

Pretty in Pink: Everything's Duckie Edition

No, I didn't make that second one up; it's too stupid to make up...

You can see the covers at DavisDVD.com

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 11 2006 - 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John*P
Pretty in Pink: Everything's Duckie Edition

Good god, that's just sad! Who exactly are they paying to come up with these gems?? lol. Seriously though, I'm definitely getting "Pretty In Pink". I've come across it a few times at the Wal-Mart bargain bin but never picked it up. Good thing I waited.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Patrick.C

Patrick.C

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted July 11 2006 - 04:12 AM

The Digital Bits is reporting that Paramount is going to release a "Too Cool For School" box set on 10/10 with Ferris Beuller's Day Off (Beuller Beuller edition), and the new versions of Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful listed in this thread.

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   ChrisRose

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 08:24 AM

Extras, extras...I'm dying to read all about it. It's all I care about, since I already have the earlier editions. Hopefully the Everything's Duckie edition means that a certain alternate ending featuring Duckie, will be included. 'Cause at least *that* would give the silly edition name some *meaning*. Posted Image

Am I the only one who prefers Some Kind Of Wonderful to Pretty In Pink? I think it's more realistic, not to mention more satisfying at the end. And Mary Stuart Masterson is such a great actress... you can tell she's got a backstory for her character all figured out, adding layers to her performance that aren't spelled out by the script. She's just so damn cool. Oooh, wouldn't it be nice if she and/or other cast members did audio commentaries for these movies? Even if they can't get John Hughes, try to get the actors to participate! Be a pretty lame special edition with no commentaries or deleted scenes....

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRose
Am I the only one who prefers Some Kind Of Wonderful to Pretty In Pink?

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRose
not to mention more satisfying at the end.

Well, I'll give you that, sure. DUCKIE WAS ROBBED!
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 04:50 PM

I may pick up the PIP Special Edition but I still long for a Breakfast Club and 16 Candles S.E.

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 06:09 PM

Quote:
DUCKIE WAS ROBBED!
What!?
The guy gets Kristy Swanson!!

"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

Back to DVD