What's new

Vincent Price - which is his best movie on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Laura (Fox Noir).
But if you are looking for one of his typical horror-centric movies, one of the Corman/Poe's (I like Pit & The Pendulum myself).
Last Man On Earth (on the MGM double feature disc) is one his better performances. House On Haunted Hill (take the Warner over the public domain releases) is another favorite

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
For a good overview of his life and career check out "Laura." The disc includes a Vincent Price bio that provides a lot of great information. As for the movie, it features Price in a very different type of role than what he's usually remembered for.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
To see Vincent in an unusual (non-typecast) role, try the fine (if underrated)
comedy/satire 'Champagne for Caesar', starring Ronald Colman.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I concur with CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR. Criterion was going to bring out Samuel Fuller's BARON OF ARIZONA with Price memorable as a real-life art forger, but I haven't heard anything recently about it.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
While I don't personally care for it, what about Witchfinder General (available in R2)?

My own personal favourite is Theatre of Blood.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
His AIP/Corman films are terrific. House of Usher might be his best, not to mention it's an excellent adaptation. The Comedy of Terrors and The Raven are great, too. It's fun to see him not only act for comedy, but also among other greats like Karloff and Lorre. MGM's DVD's are quite good. I think Usher has a commentary by Roger Corman. All three films have great 16x9 2.35:1 remasters. The Pit and the Pendulum is on the B-side of a double feature re-issue of House of Usher, but it's not 16x9 like the other films.

While it's only on DVD in P&S and edited, his vocal performance as Zig-Zag for The Thief and the Cobbler is flawless (total ham and all dialogue is in verse).

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
It's funny you should mention Vincent. I Just recently started picking up some of the MGM double features including "The Pit and the Pendulum" and "Masque of the Red Death." I also just got the double feature of "The Fly" and "Return of the Fly." Also, don't forget the later career masterpieces of Dr. Phibes.

Dan

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
The Abominable Doctor Phibes and Dr. Phibes Rises Again are two of my favorite love stories. ;)
Still available as SS/SL if you look around.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I think Laura is the best film Price was in, but I don't think it's his best film.

Last Man on Earth is my favorite, but the Corman/Poe films are all classics as well (even the one based on Lovecraft instead of Poe).

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

USHER is a great film, but, like the other films, it has almost nothing to do with Poe's story. I realized that for the first time a few months ago, after actually reading it. Note that the laserdisc features the original THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER onscreen title, while the DVD features HOUSE OF USHER as the onscreen title. The DVD of MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH is also missing snippets of footage that are intact on the LD. TALES OF TERROR is missing a color filter from a montage/dream sequence that is intact on the LD. The Corman Poe films have been a bit effed up on DVD in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks