What's new

Question re: the new Patton & Tora Tora Tora 2-discs?... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have the 2-disc Patton disc from a few years ago. Just wondering if the new version of Patton and Tora Tora Tora are any different than the 2-disc SE from back then??

Thanks!

ps-Just in case anyone cares. Costco has them for $12.99 each and they each include a free ticket to X-Men 3.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
With Tora, Tora, Tora...one thing that has always bothered me and must have been overlooked by Zanuck with continuity. That is when the Japanese planes fly over the island and we look at them from above, on the ground are cars and trucks from the 1960s! Someone forget to either move them or switch them with 1940s period vehicles. It is also seen in the trailer. It has always bugged me when someone overlooks historically correct sets not once but twice (movie - trailer).

Eric

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
I'm looking forward to purchasing Patton along with the new Dirty Dozen 2 disc SE next week. We have no Costco locally. Does anyone know if the X3 moviecash is a Costco exclusive or if it will be in all of the releases of Patton, Tora & Longest Day (I'm presuming all 3 will carry them since they're the same studion & related releases)?

I liked Tora, Tora, Tora & Longest Day but not quite enough to buy 'em.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Keep in mind that next week's 2-disc Dirty Dozen is not an SE of the original film -- it's a double feature of the two made-for-TV sequels.

Bill:N

Stunt Coordinator
Actually there's a 2 disc SE of the movie from WB and a 1 disc double feature made for TV from Sony. Make sure you get the right one (unless you want both).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
What new features does the Patton set have? I already own the original 2 disc set - is this worth a double-dip?

Thanks,

Joe

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

All the features from the original 2-disc release, along with:

1) A video introduction to the film by Francis Ford Coppola
2) An audio commentary track with Francis Ford Coppola
3) New documentary: "History Through the Lens: Patton - A Rebel Revisited" (approx. 1 hr, 30 mins.)
4) New documentary: "Patton's Ghost Corps" (approx. 46 mins.)
5) Two still galleries

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't give a rat's ass about extras. Can anyone tell me if there's a significant improvement in the picture quality? That would be the only thing that could get me to double-dip.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, I do give a rat's ass about extras. :) A commentary track by Coppolla would certainly be enough to get me to double dip if the price is right. I'm sure someone in my family who mostly rents DVDs would be delighted to get my old copy of Patton.

Regards,

Joe

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The Tora! transfer is exactly the same as the old one. Same date for the file - heck, it's literally the same DISC as the old one. It uses the same menus and everything!

I think the Patton transfer is a significant step DOWN from the old one. In a word? SOFT! Blurry, even, at times. Very disappointing.

The Coppola commentary isn't very good either. Occasional useful information, but LOTS of dead air. At one point, he even makes a comment that indicates he doesn't think it makes much sense for anyone other than the director to do a commentary!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
See what I mean, visually, it's mostly about what you see with your own eyes and in your HT setup.

Crawdaddy

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Besides these two, has anyone decided on buying The Longest Day? One thing in its favor is the extra features - at least it appears to be worth purchasing as the original release really did not have anything for extras from what I remember. And as far the actual picture is concerned - is it an improvement?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Not to pick on Colin (a la 9 TO 5), but the review at DVDTalk gives the transfer very high marks, so the verdict is still split...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hey, maybe I drank too much cough syrup before I watched Patton, but the thing looked awfully soft to me. I flip-flopped between it and the old DVD and thought the 1999 edition was notably sharper. It came with some more edge enhancement but at least it had some definition. The new Patton just looked drab and blurry to me...

Does this mean you really think the new Tora! looks and/or sounds different than the 2001 version? I don't see how that's possible - it really is literally the same disc!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well it looks like I'll at least hold out until there's more reviews and more of a concensus. For myself while HD discs are still a long way off (assuming the format war doesn't kill them altogether), it has made me more leary of upgrading without a clear, significant picture improvement (e.g., The Towering Inferno).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! I only saw the Sony disc -- didn't even realize that WB was re-releasing the original at the same time! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks