What's new

Directors The Best Film of 2005 Tournament (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Best Film of 2005 Tournament

With nearly all of the year's notable films released on DVD, I thought it was time to hold the "best film" tournament.

Advancing to Semi-Finals

A History of Violence
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Advancing to Final

The New World

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Joe, those films are already in the tournament. The list of bolded films in the first post are already in. You can nominate something else.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'd love to nominate and play along Brook, but the fact that the list contains films as old as 2003 just confuses me.

I realize that you're probably going for 2005 US releases (despite the fact that some films in that list were first released in the US in 2006), but that makes your 2005 list different from my (Canadian) 2005 list and different from say, Steve Christou's (UK) 2005 list, or Mario's 2005 list, etc.

There is really only one 2005 list and that list isn't limited to US dates.
Since I pay zero attention to US release dates (are they really important?), I have no idea what to nominate.

Can I nominate Innocence...a film I saw in 2004 but was released in Canada in 2005, but not commercially released in the US at all?

Can I nominate What Is It?...a 2005 US film that I saw in 2005, but still hasn't received a commercial release?

Can I nominate Memory for Max, Ida, Clair and Company, a devastating 2005 Canadian doc or do 2005 Canadian releases not count?

Can I.... sorry, I'm being a grump, thorny subject and all :frowning:

Carry on! :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll second Darwin's Nightmare

Nominate:

Don't Come Knocking
The Wayward Cloud

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Added:
Darwin's Nightmare

Current Nominees:
Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist
Hitch
Chicken Little
Don't Come Knocking
The Wayward Cloud

Well Mr. Grumpy, I was trying to not go overboard on lesser seen films so that the tournament didn't just consist of you, me and SteveGon. From following the movie watching thread in the "Movies" section, I have a decent handle on the viewing habits of who I think will end up voting. The idea is to encourage participation while still having list of films that includes movies from around the world.

Yes, I went with the US release schedule because very few non-US films get released here in their original year of release. It eliminates a bunch of films and makes for a much more boring slate. It isn't a problem for you because of TIFF and the Cinematheque but 99% of us don't have access to those meccas :D

So yes, you can nominate any of those films, but in the case of What is It? and the doc, who is going to second them? ;)

That said, yes I know Saraband is pushing it as a Swedish 2003 release and I considered eliminating it for that reason. It will be the first off the list if we get enough nominees. If there's something on my list that wasn't released here until 2006 please point it out. I don't believe that is the case though as I try to research anything I think is questionable before putting it on my own lists.

Is this fuss just because of the "B" for Leolo? :D

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I nominate:

Jarhead
Walk on Water
(Outside of a 2004 showing at the Milwaukee Film Festival, IMDB shows a 3/4/2005 U.S. release date -- does this qualify?)

P.S. Match Point is two words.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Oh, I don't know - I've only seen 67 from the current list. :D

(Most of the others are available at my local viddy store though there are some that I have little interest in seeing.)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Added:
Jarhead
Hitch

Current Nominees:
Chicken Little
Don't Come Knocking
The Wayward Cloud
Walk On Water
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Everything is Illuminated
The White Countess

Oops, consider Hostel dropped. I need to adjust my personal list too.

I got Jarhead from Netflix over the weekend but the disc was unplayable. Tried it on 3 different players and only one would even read the disc.

Also adding The White Countess to the nominee list.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Accompanied by the sounds of crickets, I'll nominate:

Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I would second The Wayward Cloud, but since it's never been released in the US, that would be breaking all sorts of rules. Don't Come Knocking is a 2006 US release, so the same goes for that (Damn you SteveGon, rule-breaker!!!)

I'll second:
Walk on Water

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Added:
Walk on Water
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Current Nominees:
Chicken Little
Everything is Illuminated
The White Countess
The Producers
Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Sorry Steveo, had to take away those nom's.

2 more Nom's and 2 more 2nds for everyone.

We need 10 more entries so I may just stick in the current noms to get to 128. Sarah Silverman's out in a week or two on DVD I believe. Transamerica is another notable release next week that isn't on our list so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks