What's new

"Where the Truth Lies" edited for DVD...Why? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I do a lot of blind-buys at lower price points and today's catch included Where the Truth Lies (2005).

The version I got was the "DVD Edition", which I thought was the dumbest banner I ever saw on top of a DVD case.

Then I get home and check web reviews, most of which seem to be of the "Unrated Theatrical Edition" DVD.

What the heck?

So the film was released in theaters unrated because the director didn't make enough cuts and then Sony decides to created an R-rated version for DVD?

I didn't put it on yet, but it probably has one of those disclaimers that 'the film has been altered for content'.

If the theatrical version was unrated, there shouldn't be any R-rated DVDs.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Where did you buy it? I'd advise getting your hands on the Canadian DVD, which is only available unrated.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I got a used copy at Gamestop for a nice price.

The 'Unrated Theatrical Edition' is also appears to be R1.

I'm just tee'd that Sony would created an R-rated version for DVD.

In the past all you had to do was make sure you got the WS version, now you have to worry about getting a version that's been edited down from the one in theaters.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
They make 'em because Wal-Mart & Blockbuster won't stock unrated movies.

RyanAn

Screenwriter

I've bought Wolf Creek, Hostel, many more Unrated DVDs at Wal-Mart.

I'll be on the look out for the NC-17 version, it never came to my theatre in it's initial run, but at least we have the DVD.

Ryan

Kevin Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the WILL carry "unrated" movies, but will NOT carry NC-17. WTTL got an NC-17 rating for theatrical distribution.

The other unrated titles (e.g., Wolf Creek) came out in theaters rated R, which then lets the studio release an "unrated" version, which in turn Blockbuster & Wal-Mart will carry.

The big joke is that most of the "unrated" cuts of horror movies would've been NC-17 in theaters, but because they don't technically have that stigma the stores will carry them.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure it's for sexual content

There's a scene where a female character lifts her head out from between another female character's legs and with the other's glistening juices on her face says "I like you."

I had the unrated, knew there was an R rated version, and when I saw that scene suspected that it was definately NOT in the R cut. ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
While this is not exactly common, it is not unique. There is also an edited version of Bad Education and Blockbuster famously had an edited version of Audition done or they wouldn't carry it. There was no edited version available of Irreversible, so they didn't carry it. Of course, the irony is, any film which goes to the trouble to be rated and receives an NC-17 is probably pretty legitimate, but Blockbuster won't handle it. Meanwhile, they will carry one that has had gratuitous trash added for no constructive reason, and hasn't been rated.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
OMG, that's one heck of a spoiler!

I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for the unrated version!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
The same thing was done for Requiem for a Dream. A special "R" rated version was made (despite protests by the director) simply so stores such as Blockbuster would stock it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks