Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Where the Truth Lies" edited for DVD...Why?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 09:26 AM

I do a lot of blind-buys at lower price points and today's catch included Where the Truth Lies (2005). The version I got was the "DVD Edition", which I thought was the dumbest banner I ever saw on top of a DVD case. Then I get home and check web reviews, most of which seem to be of the "Unrated Theatrical Edition" DVD. What the heck? So the film was released in theaters unrated because the director didn't make enough cuts and then Sony decides to created an R-rated version for DVD? I didn't put it on yet, but it probably has one of those disclaimers that 'the film has been altered for content'. If the theatrical version was unrated, there shouldn't be any R-rated DVDs.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,290 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 15 2006 - 09:27 AM

Where did you buy it? I'd advise getting your hands on the Canadian DVD, which is only available unrated.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 09:35 AM

I got a used copy at Gamestop for a nice price. The 'Unrated Theatrical Edition' is also appears to be R1. I'm just tee'd that Sony would created an R-rated version for DVD. In the past all you had to do was make sure you got the WS version, now you have to worry about getting a version that's been edited down from the one in theaters.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 09:55 AM

The MPAA gave it a NC-17.

source

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted May 15 2006 - 12:09 PM

They make 'em because Wal-Mart & Blockbuster won't stock unrated movies.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 12:56 PM

I've bought Wolf Creek, Hostel, many more Unrated DVDs at Wal-Mart. I'll be on the look out for the NC-17 version, it never came to my theatre in it's initial run, but at least we have the DVD. Ryan

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 02:03 PM

Actually, the WILL carry "unrated" movies, but will NOT carry NC-17. WTTL got an NC-17 rating for theatrical distribution. The other unrated titles (e.g., Wolf Creek) came out in theaters rated R, which then lets the studio release an "unrated" version, which in turn Blockbuster & Wal-Mart will carry. The big joke is that most of the "unrated" cuts of horror movies would've been NC-17 in theaters, but because they don't technically have that stigma the stores will carry them.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 02:18 PM

I'm pretty sure it's for sexual content

There's a scene where a female character lifts her head out from between another female character's legs and with the other's glistening juices on her face says "I like you."

I had the unrated, knew there was an R rated version, and when I saw that scene suspected that it was definately NOT in the R cut. Posted Image
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,641 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 04:12 PM

While this is not exactly common, it is not unique. There is also an edited version of Bad Education and Blockbuster famously had an edited version of Audition done or they wouldn't carry it. There was no edited version available of Irreversible, so they didn't carry it. Of course, the irony is, any film which goes to the trouble to be rated and receives an NC-17 is probably pretty legitimate, but Blockbuster won't handle it. Meanwhile, they will carry one that has had gratuitous trash added for no constructive reason, and hasn't been rated.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 16 2006 - 06:01 AM

OMG, that's one heck of a spoiler! I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for the unrated version!

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted May 16 2006 - 04:09 PM

The same thing was done for Requiem for a Dream. A special "R" rated version was made (despite protests by the director) simply so stores such as Blockbuster would stock it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users