What's new

2006 Fall Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Here it is, the annual tallying up of the upfront presentations to look at the fall season.

All times Eastern

SUNDAY

07:00 (ABC) America's Funniest Home Videos
07:00 (CBS) 60 Minutes
07:00 (CW) Everybody Hates Chris
07:00 (FOX) Football overtime/An hour o' repeats
07:00 (NBC) Football Night In America

07:30 (CW) All of Us

08:00 (ABC) Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
08:00 (CBS) The Amazing Race
08:00 (CW) Girlfriends
08:00 (FOX) The Simpsons
08:00 (NBC) Sunday Night Football

08:30 (CW) The Game
08:30 (FOX) American Dad

09:00 (ABC) Desperate Housewives
09:00 (CBS) Cold Case
09:00 (CW) America's Next Top Model repeats
09:00 (FOX) Family Guy

09:30 (FOX) The War at Home

10:00 (ABC) Brothers And Sisters
10:00 (CBS) Without a Trace

MONDAY

08:00 (ABC) Wife Swap
08:00 (CBS) How I Met Your Mother
08:00 (CW) 7th Heaven
08:00 (FOX) Prison Break
08:00 (NBC) Deal or No Deal

08:30 (CBS) The Class

09:00 (ABC) The Bachelor
09:00 (CBS) Two and a Half Men
09:00 (CW) Runaway
09:00 (FOX) Vanished
09:00 (NBC) Heroes

09:30 (CBS) The New Adventures of Old Christine

10:00 (ABC) What About Brian?
10:00 (CBS) CSI: Miami
10:00 (NBC) Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

TUESDAY

08:00 (ABC) Dancing with the Stars
08:00 (CBS) NCIS
08:00 (CW) Gilmore Girls
08:00 (FOX) Standoff
08:00 (NBC) Friday Night Lights

09:00 (ABC) Lets Rob...
09:00 (CBS) The Unit
09:00 (CW) Veronica Mars
09:00 (FOX) House
09:00 (NBC) Law & Order: Criminal Intent

09:30 (ABC) Help Me Help You

10:00 (ABC) Boston Legal
10:00 (CBS) Smith
10:00 (NBC) Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

WEDNESDAY

08:00 (ABC) Dancing with the Stars
08:00 (CBS) Jericho
08:00 (CW) America's Next Top Model
08:00 (FOX) Bones
08:00 (NBC) 20 Good Years

08:30 (NBC) 30 Rock

09:00 (ABC) Lost
09:00 (CBS) Criminal Minds
09:00 (CW) One Tree Hill
09:00 (FOX) Justice
09:00 (NBC) The Biggest Loser

10:00 (ABC) The Nine
10:00 (CBS) CSI: New York
10:00 (NBC) Kidnapped

THURSDAY

08:00 (ABC) Big Day
08:00 (CBS) Survivor
08:00 (CW) Smallville
08:00 (FOX) 'Til Death
08:00 (NBC) My Name is Earl

08:30 (ABC) Notes from the Underbelly
08:30 (FOX) Happy Hour
08:30 (NBC) The Office

09:00 (ABC) Grey's Anatomy
09:00 (CBS) CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
09:00 (CW) Supernatural
09:00 (FOX) The O.C.
09:00 (NBC) Deal or No Deal

10:00 (ABC) Six Degrees
10:00 (CBS) Shark
10:00 (NBC) ER

FRIDAY

08:00 (ABC) Betty the Ugly
08:00 (CBS) Ghost Whisperer
08:00 (CW) Friday Night Smackdown!
08:00 (FOX) Nanny 911
08:00 (NBC) Crossing Jordan

09:00 (ABC) Men in Trees
09:00 (CBS) Close to Home
09:00 (FOX) Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy
09:00 (NBC) Las Vegas

10:00 (ABC) 20/20
10:00 (CBS) Numbers
10:00 (NBC) Law & Order

SATURDAY

08:00 (ABC) ABC Saturday Night College Football
08:00 (CBS) Two Hours o' Repeats
08:00 (FOX) Cops
08:00 (NBC) Dateline Saturday

08:30 (FOX) Cops

09:00 (FOX) America's Most Wanted: America Strikes Back
09:00 (NBC) Two Hours o' Repeats

10:00 (CBS) 48 Hours Mysteries

THE BENCH

(ABC) American Inventor
(ABC) According To Jim (Wednesday 8:30pm)
(ABC) Day Break
(ABC) George Lopez (Wednesday 8pm)
(ABC) Greg Behrendt's Wake Up Call
(ABC) In Case of Emergency
(ABC) Just for Laughs
(ABC) Set for the Rest of Your Life (Tuesday 8pm)
(ABC) Supernanny (Monday 9pm)
(ABC) Traveler

(CBS) The King of Queens
(CBS) The Rules of Engagement
(CBS) 3 Lbs.
(CBS) Waterfront

(CW) Beauty & The Geek (Wednesday 9pm)
(CW) Hidden Palms
(CW) Reba

(FOX) American Idol (Tuesday 8pm, Wednesday 9pm - Standoff to Monday 8pm, Justice to Wednesday 9pm, Bones to Friday 8pm)
(FOX) Duets (Thursday/Friday during the fall)
(FOX) King of the Hill (Sunday 7:30pm)
(FOX) The Loop (Wednesday 9:30pm; see American Idol)
(FOX) On the Lot
(FOX) 24 (Monday 9pm)
(FOX) The Wedidng Album (Friday 9pm)
(FOX) The Winner

(NBC) America's Got Talent (Sunday 8pm)
(NBC) Andy Barker, PI
(NBC) The Apprentice (Sunday 9pm)
(NBC) The Black Donnellys (Thursday 10pm)
(NBC) Medium
(NBC) Raines (Sunday 10pm)
(NBC) Scrubs
(NBC) The Singles Table

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So, football means NBC has a lot of stuff on the bench. I'm wondering if Scrubs worked particularly well that way, since they're doing it again. I'm a little surprised that Kidnapped isn't coming off the bench, since that seems like a 24-style hyperserial that would do well to be uninterrupted, while it looks like Crossing Jordan is dealing with another seven-month cliffhanger even though nobody's pregnant.

ER is also going to get the split-season treatment, or at least that's the plan. Has that ever worked? It always seems like a good idea, but it's not one that networks stick with after one year.

Also surprised to see both 30 Rock and Studio 60 on the schedule at once; it's one thing when competing networks air such seperated-at-birth shows, but both on one?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While it's going to be a long wait for more Scrubs (God, they treat that show like shit), I do think it's a pretty bold schedule. They had a lot of bleed-off this season, and they took bold measures to correct it, replacing over half of their monday to thursday schedule.
It's also nice to see an emphasis on concept and talent over existing franchise. "Heroes" was the pick-up I was rooting for the most, since I love superheroes and like most of the cast, so I'll definitely be watching that, even if "Everwood" returns (that I'll tape unless "Heroes" gives me a reason to stop watching).
And the Thursday line-up is competitive; they'll probably have me for the night. So that's three, maybe four, solid hours of NBC viewing. Which is 6-8 x what I watching before.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Scrubs fans are whiners. You're getting a sixth season! The show has had relatively stable timeslots with generally decent lead-ins toward the start of its life. The budget hasn't been cut so that the cast would have to be dropped. I'm sure there's a long list of shows whose fans would kill for that kind of bad treatment.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Most shows that get treated like this perform much worse. If NBC had a larger financial stake in Scrubs's success, I doubt it'd get tossed around and held back like it does.
That said, if NBC holds to their word like this season and does finally bring it back, than all will be forgiven. With NBC and ABC fighting over who gets the series this fall, I was just hoping for a little bit of respect from the victor. But then, ABC is the one that owns Scrubs so they'd have had more of a reason to treat it right.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Of the 4 returning shows that I watched regularly on NBC, only 1 has a new time slot (My Name is Earl).

Whether the NFL will thrive on NBC, will always depend heavily on the actual matchups, and (to a lesser extent), the people's tolerance level for John Madden.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
ABC's added (info from The Futon Critic). Thursday night is arguably the most valuable night on TV, and 9pm is shaping up to be a vicious scrum, with ABC moving what I think is now its highest-rated show there (Grey's Anatomy).

I don't get some of the name changes. What makes "Let's Rob..." better than "Let's Rob Mick Jagger"? Or "Betty the Ugly" better than "Ugly Betty"? Also, I see that they're giving the hyperserial comedy another try with Big Day; Jake In Progress was originally supposed to be that, but became more conventional.

It's really starting to look like ABC got lucky two years ago, because this line-up looks even weaker than this year's. The two show's I'm most interested in, Traveler and Day Break, are on the bench, and a lot of the new shows look like they could crash and burn hard

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
So ABC cancelled INVASION, a show that has really grown in quality over the season, and renewed WHAT ABOUT BRIAN, a truly terrible show (that I wanted to love)? That really doesn't make sense. BRIAN's ratings weren't very good.

As for 30 ROCK and SUNSET, on paper, I would have said SUNSET would be the better show. But, in the clips I saw yesterday, 30 ROCK could be great. Tina Fey, Rachel Dratch, Alec Baldwin and Tracey Morgan!

And I don't know if that is smart to move GREY'S ANATOMY. One of the things that work for it is it being after DH. To move it opposite CSI? And a high profile show like SUNSET? I've been watching it up to now, but don't think I would tune in over those shows.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, Grey's Anatmony has been out-drawing Desperate Housewives lately, so I think it can probably stand on its own. In terms of launching new shows, it's probably a better shot to have a new one after DH and GA as opposed to trying to launch two new shows on Thursday. As to the competition, yeah, it's tough, but the rewards on Thursday night (lots of advertisers pushing movies, beer, other weekend stuff) are correspondingly richer.

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Monday's still seem pretty open to me but I'm very interested in HEROES from NBC at the 9-10pm Monday slot.

HOUSE will still be a Tuesday mainstay for me at the assumed 9-10pm slot but I'll more than likely check out the new FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS show from NBC for the 8-9pm slot.

LOST will be a Wednesday mainstay for me at the 9-10pm slot and I'll probably give the new show THE NINE on ABC a shot for the 10-11pm slot.

Earl and The Office even though moved up will be mainstays for me. I may give this STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP a shot for the 9-10pm slot on NBC and SIX DEGREES on ABC the 10-11pm slot

Las Vegas is the only show that I'm sticking with on Friday's 9-10pm slot on NBC.

Supernatural & The Unit are two I'm into, so I hope both will be renewed and find there way back on my schedule. Thank god for TiVO!

I guess according to Futoncritic we should see FOX, CW & CBS's schedules Wed., Thursday & Friday.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nothing from ABC looks like it's going to make my list. I watch "Boston Legal" on occassion, but that's about it. And if the CW doesn't pick up "Everwood" as rumored (BASTARDS!), NBC looks like it's seized my Monday night.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

TVGuide.com is reporting that Everwood appears to be dead, but both Veronica Mars and One Tree Hill are coming back on the CW.

VM is my favorite show, but I was also keeping my fingers crossed for Everwood and I'm sad to see it go. I can't believe the CW is bringing back the horrible 7th Heaven and ditching the excellent Everwood. I don't understand why all the people whining about the absence of "family shows" aren't watching Everwood when it's a great multi-generational story.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
CBS is up (details from The Futon Critic).

CBS is, as it has been ever since grabbing Thursday for its own, solid. I've thought The Amazing Race should be on Sundays at 8pm for years, and am glad to see it finally land there. Two of the three new dramas look damn good - Smith and Shark, with Ray Liotta and James Woods respectively - and Jericho has potential.

This is, I think, the end of the last regularly-scheduled movie night on network TV, but CBS was really running out of room. I'm afraid the crime bubble will eventually burst, but this looks like a pretty solid schedule until then.

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Interested in JERICHO for sure. It's in a good spot for me and sounds interesting.

The Best news though is they renewed THE UNIT. I really like this show and it has improved leaps and bounds from the pilot. Good stuff!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I don't know if moving The Amazing Race to Sundays will be a good idea, since it will now have to deal with the NFL in the fall, causing everything to start late. It will make it difficult for people to keep up with the race.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But, on the other hand, it will also be advertised to the people watching football all afternoon. Nothing comes without a price. Anyway, I wasn't really thinking of football, just that The Amazing Race has always seemed like a better fit for that time than Cold Case.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
This was pretty much a lock. It had the highest rated debut of any new show and has consistenly placed 2nd in its timeslot and in the Top 20 each week. It is probably my favorite non-reality show on right now, and I've loved the double dose the last two weeks.

The show I'm most worried about is King Of Queens, my favorite comedy. Hopefully they can come to some sort of pay agreement and come of the bench, but it's not looking too good right now. Although not having them on the fall schedule could be a power play by CBS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks