Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Here comes the brides worth a blind buy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 04:01 PM

I never saw the show but generally love TV from the 60's/70's era and would like to check it out.

What do people around her think of the show?

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rogers
I never saw the show but generally love TV from the 60's/70's era and would like to check it out.

What do people around her think of the show?

1st season is a bit better than the second. I enjoy watching it but I wouldn't call it a great show by any means. Kind of like Big Valley in it's not quite so dramatic episodes. And I thought Bridget Hanley was really hot, which was probably what kept my 11 year old self tuned in. You really can't go wrong with a Screen Gems show as almost all of them were pretty entertaining and they rarely made an absolute bomb.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 15 2006 - 03:49 PM

I used to watch it on Sat. afternoons in the 80s. I watched it, but i wouldnt own it. It was a show to clean house or fold the laundry to...IMO of course.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   JonathanBB

JonathanBB

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 04:03 PM

I am thinking about buying this set as a blind buy too.
-Jonathan

Mama's Family: The Complete First Season is heading to DVD September 26th!

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted May 16 2006 - 06:17 AM

Me too; I have only the vaguest recollection of my older sisters watching this show (I was about 3 or 4 when it aired). I must have seen it, though, because I do recall the theme song. I think I'm gonna get it if the price is right.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   mark-edk

mark-edk

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted May 17 2006 - 08:34 AM

The theme song is a funny issue. When the show started, as I recall the opening credits were as they are in syndication now: they have only the accompaniment to the theme song, but not the melody (which was sung by a small group). Later in the series, possibly near the end of the first season or the start of the second, they remembered to mix in the vocals and then the theme song could be heard. But none of the syndication episodes had the vocals.

I seem to recall an end credit that the theme was sung by "The New Generation". I'll be curious to see if the vocals show up on the DVDs.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 17 2006 - 10:21 AM

Almost all shows syndicated by Screen Gems had whatever the last set of opening credits tacked on to all of the episodes. Partridge Family, The Monkees, Here Come the Brides, etc. Since the theme from HCTB for the second season was instumental, that is what appeared on all syndication prints. The vocal theme was only sung in the first season and the name of the group is The New Establishment. The theme appeared on one of the later volumes of TV's Greatest Hits that TV Tunes put out as well as on the B-side of their second Colgems single.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted May 18 2006 - 02:13 AM

But what's on the DVDs? Are they the original prints with the vocals or do they have the second season titles?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   JeffWld

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted May 18 2006 - 02:33 AM

Unfortunately, they have the second season titles.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted May 18 2006 - 10:08 AM

...Which undoubtedly means they're syndication prints. I just got my set today so haven't had a chance to look at them yet, but I'd expect that also means a duped-looking opening title sequence (unless they actually fixed that from the syndication prints).

And, wow, what's the deal with the art? I mentioned on another thread about the use of a photo of Bobby Sherman in what was then contemporary street clothes which was Photoshopped in with a costumed rest-of-the-cast, and color changes done to nearly everyone's clothing.

And then I opened up the box and looked at the slimpak sleeves -- what show were they watching??? I'm guessing nobody who's actually seen the show worked on this set. The guy in the vest on the Discs 1 & 2 sleeve looks like much more recent style than was probably seen in 1800's Seattle (or even 1960s Burbank); on Discs 5 & 6, er, looks like a mining camp to me, not a logging one, and the totally wrong kind of landscape; and on Discs 3 & 4 (my favorite) the Western town setting with big two-story brick buildings. Definitely nothing like that in the series, at least not when they were supposed to be in Seattle.

But it does look familiar. Very familiar. Am I right in thinking that's part of the Western town on the Universal backlot*? The building with the columns at the left looks *exactly* like the Porterville Bank in the "Alias Smith & Jones" pilot. Um, yep, it is:

http://www.peteduel..../universal.html

Check out the second row, middle picture (and closer view, sixth row center). Definitely the Universal lot. Here are some pix from the real HCTB set, on the Columbia backlot:

http://employees.oxy...ry/bts/hctb.htm

There are some nice pix of more of the town if you click on the "Next page" link at the bottom.

I'm just sayin'.

Mary
*who's feeling like a total geek for having recognized that....

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 10:39 AM

So we're not going to hear the theme song at all on these disks??? What the hell...

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 03:46 AM

I've only watched the first couple of eps, but yep, looks like the vocal version of the theme song is absent. And the instrumental is the counter-melody, so you never really hear the main melody in the credits.

One place where you do hear at least the melody if not the lyrics is towards the end of the pilot episode. There's a big party celebrating the women's arrival in Seattle, and you hear the theme melody throughout that scene.

One other kinda weird thing to note: on the first few episodes I had a look at, they "re-organized" the opening of the shows. IIRC, most if not all episodes originally started with a prologue, followed by the opening credits. After the commercial break, there's a brief card (accompanied by music) giving writing and directing credits for that episode, and then into Act One. Well, here the opening element has been moved to before the prologue, followed by the prologue, then the writing/directing credits, then Act One. My big question would be why move it at all, but if you were going to move it, why not keep the w/d credit at the end of the title sequence so it isn't just this weird interruption after the prologue? I would've left them where they were, following the prologue, and put a chapter stop before the title element and one after the w/d credit.

I don't mean to discourage anyone who might be interested from buying the series. I'm still very happy to get it, at a reasonable price, and I certainly hope we'll get Season 2 as well. The prints are the best-looking thing I've seen on this series -- well, probably ever -- and they appear to be complete, and that's really the bottom line for me. BTW, they do not have the problem with the bad title element that I've seen in some syndication prints that I mentioned earlier.

It's just that this is in some ways pretty sloppy work, and I'm guessing there are fans out there who would've been happy to get involved and could have advised or shared materials for packaging. And an extra or two would've been nice -- several of the cast members are still around who I'm sure could've been persuaded to share their memories. It would be interesting to hear their views on it from a nearly-40-years-later perspective.

Okay, that's my buck-fifty on this! These minor irritations aside, I hope everyone who buys the set enjoys it.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 05:14 AM

I really did think it quite odd when I was checking the episodes to see the main title sequence prior to the opening teaser. What an odd way to re-edit the show. I don't understand the logic in that. As for the first season opening titles, when Sony put out The Partridge Family they went back and included the original 1st season credits and theme song (When We're Singin'). I don't know why this couldn't be done here, unless they just took a set of tapes that had been remastered for syndication years ago and never bothered going back to the original elements, which is entirely possible. But as Mary surmised, whoever worked on this project knew nothing whatsoever about the show. Typical.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   mark-edk

mark-edk

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 08:09 AM

They moved the opening titles to the top for the syndicated showings, as you surmised. It makes no sense. We can only hope that if there's enough grousing they'll get it right for the second season--and include the vocals.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edk
They moved the opening titles to the top for the syndicated showings, as you surmised. It makes no sense. We can only hope that if there's enough grousing they'll get it right for the second season--and include the vocals.

Except it wouldn't be right. The opening titles with the vocal version of the theme was only on the first season episodes. The ones you see on the set are what aired in the second season.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   mark-edk

mark-edk

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 05:36 PM

I believe you are mistaken on that point. I am old enough to remember seeing the series when it ran on ABC, and recall my surprise when the vocals showed up in the theme after many weeks of instrumental only. And they remained until the end of the run.

I don't believe that the titles on the DVDs are from the second season. My memory on this is a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure the second season titles had more people in them: Henry Beckman as Cap'n Clancy, and possibly the Pruitt children who were added to the cast.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   peggy

peggy

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 09:50 AM

So skipping all the talk about the theme song or lack of theme song, I just received my set in the mail and I am loving it. I haven't seen the show since back when it was first on and it still is fun for me.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 07:03 AM

Same with me. I haven't seen the show since it was first on, but I remember vividly how much I loved it. And now that I've watched the first season again -- it was even better than I remembered it. And Bruce Lee is in one episode! (Not that I remembered him being on the show.)

So the question is... did the set sell reasonably well? Any chance of the second season being released?
PaulaJ

Forum Nav Content I Follow