Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

So... it seems like there are lots of HD DVD buyers in the end

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 08:16 AM

so much for "HD DVD sucks Blu ray Disc Rulez" mentality. Posted Image

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 08:57 AM

Actually, I read somewhere ( I can't remember where) that HD-DVD sales have been sluggish.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 09:42 AM

Found the article that I was referring to. Here is the link http://www.videobusi.../CA6332298.html

I re-read the article. The sluggish sales may be more a function of lack of inventory rather than lack of interest.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, sluggish, as in, you cant move product off a shelf that isn't stocked. Posted Image
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, I can't find a Best Buy in the Toronto area that doesn't give me a strange look when I asked for an HD DVD machine. Their staff always point me to the Samsung Upconversion DVD player. When I explained it to them, they gave me that funny blank stare (which no longer funny after seeing it the 1,000th time).

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 12:03 PM

The Silent HD crowd is making its self more aware after such a limited launch, isn't it. I would agree with the threads title, I am surprised by all the HD-DVD owners, on this forum & others.

My favorite benefit to the release, is on a HD-DVD forum I visit, no more BD lurkers & trollers. It's peaceful now!

Hope the BD people get HD product as well soon.
Then, hopefully, the time will come for uni people like me, after that!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#7 of 35 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,597 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 01:15 PM

According to the new issue of Widescreen Review, "Video Business estimates only 10,000 to 15,000 HD-1A units total shipped out in the first two days. Toshiba said it is aiming to sell 600,000 to 700,000 of the new machines globally in the fiscal year ending in March 2007..."

This does not speak to the high end Toshiba X1s.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Grannell
Yeah, I can't find a Best Buy in the Toronto area that doesn't give me a strange look when I asked for an HD DVD machine. Their staff always point me to the Samsung Upconversion DVD player. When I explained it to them, they gave me that funny blank stare (which no longer funny after seeing it the 1,000th time).

Has Toshiba even done a roll out of their players in Canada yet? I read that they the players were supposed to go on sale in Canada with the first releases of HD-DVD movies, but I haven't seen or heard anything about a debut of the machines in Canada. Have any of them shown up in Canadian electronic retail stores? These machines will probably be on the market for months before they filter up to where I live.

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted May 14 2006 - 02:42 PM

Greetings

They've been out for 10 days now. I've had mine for almost a 5 days. Picked up titles from both A&B sound and BB. (Much cheaper at A&B)

Looks like Toshiba has a dedicated stand for the player and a Toshiba 37" LCD flat panel. I've seen this type of set up at both stores ...

Big Letters proclaiming HD DVD ...

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 02:56 PM

Wow, 10 days? Obviously I'm living in a bubble, since I had no idea that they had even been rolled out. I might have to check out the local boutique stereo shop. They might have been able to get their hands one or two of the machines.
I hope so, because they have a policy which allows a person to demo a machine
at home. Thanks for the quick response.

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 03:10 PM

at the store in Buffalo where I got mine, the salesman (non commissioned) said that he sold one A1 to someone who drove down from Toronto, then the next day he came back and bought another A1 and an X1.

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 03:16 PM

Sounds to me like a dealer who had customers wanting to acquire machines before the official Canadian rollout.

#13 of 35 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, 10 days and already there are those proclaiming Blu-ray DOA and the war over. Ridiculous.

He who gets the first strike doesn't always win. See "Tora Tora Tora" to get what I mean. Posted Image

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,034 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 14 2006 - 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX
Yeah, 10 days and already there are those proclaiming Blu-ray DOA and the war over. Ridiculous.

He who gets the first strike doesn't always win. See "Tora Tora Tora" to get what I mean. Posted Image
Such proclaimations sound very familiar except it was Blu-ray supporters stating that HD DVD would be dead, once a certain gaming machine comes out. In the end, the marketplace will decide the winner and who knows, both formats might be nothing more than a niche market anyway. However, as you alluded to, it's much too early to know either way.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 10:12 PM

Toshiba apparently passed the 25,000 mark for HD DVD players about a week ago.

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 12:21 AM

A playstation 3, also at a reduced capability (no HDMI output) at US$499. To me that's more crippled thatn the HD DVD counterpart.

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 12:37 AM

I suggest making this thread a sticky and renaming it 'Official HD DVD gloating thread'. Posted Image

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 01:27 AM

Perfect!

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 01:40 AM

What's to gloat about? The real competition hasn't even started yet.

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 01:46 AM

What to gloat about? Almost everybody on the forum was shouting "HD DVD no, Blu ray Disc yes", "I'll be waiting for BD player, I will not touch HD DVD" whereas the opposite is the reality.

another thing to gloat, the $499 PS3 will not even have HDMI connector.

Forum Nav Content I Follow