What's new

So... it seems like there are lots of HD DVD buyers in the end (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Actually, I read somewhere ( I can't remember where) that HD-DVD sales have been sluggish.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Yeah, I can't find a Best Buy in the Toronto area that doesn't give me a strange look when I asked for an HD DVD machine. Their staff always point me to the Samsung Upconversion DVD player. When I explained it to them, they gave me that funny blank stare (which no longer funny after seeing it the 1,000th time).

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Silent HD crowd is making its self more aware after such a limited launch, isn't it. I would agree with the threads title, I am surprised by all the HD-DVD owners, on this forum & others.

My favorite benefit to the release, is on a HD-DVD forum I visit, no more BD lurkers & trollers. It's peaceful now!

Hope the BD people get HD product as well soon.
Then, hopefully, the time will come for uni people like me, after that!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
According to the new issue of Widescreen Review, "Video Business estimates only 10,000 to 15,000 HD-1A units total shipped out in the first two days. Toshiba said it is aiming to sell 600,000 to 700,000 of the new machines globally in the fiscal year ending in March 2007..."

This does not speak to the high end Toshiba X1s.

RAH

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Has Toshiba even done a roll out of their players in Canada yet? I read that they the players were supposed to go on sale in Canada with the first releases of HD-DVD movies, but I haven't seen or heard anything about a debut of the machines in Canada. Have any of them shown up in Canadian electronic retail stores? These machines will probably be on the market for months before they filter up to where I live.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

They've been out for 10 days now. I've had mine for almost a 5 days. Picked up titles from both A&B sound and BB. (Much cheaper at A&B)

Looks like Toshiba has a dedicated stand for the player and a Toshiba 37" LCD flat panel. I've seen this type of set up at both stores ...

Big Letters proclaiming HD DVD ...

Regards

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow, 10 days? Obviously I'm living in a bubble, since I had no idea that they had even been rolled out. I might have to check out the local boutique stereo shop. They might have been able to get their hands one or two of the machines.
I hope so, because they have a policy which allows a person to demo a machine
at home. Thanks for the quick response.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
at the store in Buffalo where I got mine, the salesman (non commissioned) said that he sold one A1 to someone who drove down from Toronto, then the next day he came back and bought another A1 and an X1.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sounds to me like a dealer who had customers wanting to acquire machines before the official Canadian rollout.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, 10 days and already there are those proclaiming Blu-ray DOA and the war over. Ridiculous.

He who gets the first strike doesn't always win. See "Tora Tora Tora" to get what I mean. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Such proclaimations sound very familiar except it was Blu-ray supporters stating that HD DVD would be dead, once a certain gaming machine comes out. In the end, the marketplace will decide the winner and who knows, both formats might be nothing more than a niche market anyway. However, as you alluded to, it's much too early to know either way.

Crawdaddy

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
A playstation 3, also at a reduced capability (no HDMI output) at US$499. To me that's more crippled thatn the HD DVD counterpart.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
What to gloat about? Almost everybody on the forum was shouting "HD DVD no, Blu ray Disc yes", "I'll be waiting for BD player, I will not touch HD DVD" whereas the opposite is the reality.

another thing to gloat, the $499 PS3 will not even have HDMI connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks