Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Hudson Hawk 15th Anniversary Edition Announced for 7/25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA

Posted May 12 2006 - 05:36 PM

Announced per Davis DVD. Said to include a new anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby 5.1 audio, deleted scenes, and featurettes. No word yet on whether or not the excellent commentary track by director Michael Lehmann will be included, as it would be a real blow if it were not included. I'm also curious if the original trailer will be there as well, as it wasn't there on the previous release, but given this is Sony, I'm happy we're getting what we're getting, but if the commentary isn't there, I'll be holding on to the original release as a result.

The release date is July 25th and has an SRP of $19.99

Anyone else looking forward to this...or am I alone here?
"...so here we go." --"Punch-Drunk Love"

Last 5 Blu-Rays Purchased: Notes on a Scandal (2006), The Big Chill: Criterion Collection (1983), Schindler's List (1993), Casper (1995), The Fault in Our Stars: Little Infinities Edition (2014)

#2 of 33 ONLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts

Posted May 12 2006 - 06:00 PM

Nicholas

I saw the film many years ago, well I guess 15 years, on VHS PAL, it starred “Bruce Willis” didn’t it? And it was about spy or was it, a cat burglar?

It’s long time, I have several films starring “Bruce Willis” Die Hard 1,2,3, “Tears of the Sun” “The Jackal” “Mercury Rising” “Death Becomes Her” “Armageddon” and "The Last Boyscout.”

I’ll keep an eye for this on region 2 DVD when we get it on this side, there is a none special edition, so the special edition is the one to look for!

“Hudson Hawk” Region 2 DVD cover
http://www.screensel....1445-large.jpg

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted May 12 2006 - 06:21 PM

I'll back you up Nicholas. Posted Image

This is one of those films that made it into my permanent memory by being repeated ad nauseum on cable when it first came out.

It's one of those movies that's stupid in a good way. I always find it entertaining. Now, given Sony's erratic track record with catalog transfers lately (some not being anamorphic), I'll wait for reviews, but if they confirm better PQ than the original disc, I'll bite.

Curiously enough, I recently saw a copy of Hudson Hawk with cover art that said it was from 2005. Just a big headshot of Bruce Willis. Not sure why they'd bother updating the cover art a year before a new edition.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#4 of 33 ONLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts

Posted May 12 2006 - 06:35 PM

That’s just the way some of them are!

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted May 12 2006 - 08:40 PM

Wow! A SE for Hudson Hawk. This is great news... for me to poop on!

What's next, Sony, a 2 - disc SE of Glitter?
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#6 of 33 ONLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts

Posted May 12 2006 - 09:33 PM

LOL

Ok it might have been a turkey, no need to beat a dead horse!Posted Image

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 01:04 AM

This is a guilty pleasure of mine. Stupid in the extreme, but with some real classic moments.

A favorite bit: timing burglaries to music.

And remember:
"The guy on the donkey's just a guy on a donkey."

Can't wait for this one.

-Scott

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Roy Batty

Roy Batty

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 04:16 PM

I love this movie. The way I remember it, it came around the same time that THE LAST ACTION HERO did, and both films were unfairly ignored by the public and disparaged by the critics.

Granted, LAST ACTION HERO is a much better movie, but both share a kind of self-aware, tongue-in-cheek, sharp zany humor, and a joyful sense of adventure.

Count me in!

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 05:17 AM

One of those "so bad it's good" kinda things. I'd never actually recommend it to somebody looking for a worthwhile film.... but yeah, I can see myself picking this up. Posted Image

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 03:57 PM

Cmon guys! Hudson Hawk is one of the best films ever!

Really, tho, I liked the film. It gets a bad rep because it was set up as a summer tentpole film, and it really wasn't that. It still lives on as a cult film, and I love it from its pure ability to be way out there in its own reality.

I'm pretty amazed that it is getting the Special Edition treatment, and probably will buy it.

Jason

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 12:50 AM

I'll step out on the wild side here and say this is going to be in my collection. The reason I never got it was because I had on S-VHS and at the time wasn't worth buying the DVD. The SE will change that so go ahead if you think I'm crazy, remember some people actually like Glitter.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 01:37 AM

I wish they came out with this announcement about 2 months ago. It would have saved me from picking up the barebones version from the Walmart bins......who knew this was gonna get the SE treatment? Posted Image
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 03:11 AM

I have to say that the commentary on the first disc is rather funny with the director constantly reminding the listener that it was a big hit in Europe. LOL

This one also has a bonus in that Derek Flint hisself is in it (James Coburn). Long before Austin Powers made it hip to quote it.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 07:52 AM

I will defend this movie till I die. Own the current edition with the great commentary so I'm looking forward to the deleted scenes. Hopefully the Nintendo and Little Eddie bits that were cut out of the movie will be present along with the full speech given by Darwin while the gold machine is firing up.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 15 2006 - 09:49 AM

Count me in with the fans of this one. It's not for everybody, though (and part of its failure and bad rep was due to its being marketed as a mass-appeal film).
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 01:25 PM

I remember seeing this with a group of friends on a Saturday night when it came out to the dollar show back in 1991--- I was 19 and had a lot of fun. This movie kind of reminds me of those times.

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA

Posted May 16 2006 - 08:43 AM

Artwork now posted at DVDActive. It surprisingly looks just like the R2 artwork that was in Andysu's earlier post.
"...so here we go." --"Punch-Drunk Love"

Last 5 Blu-Rays Purchased: Notes on a Scandal (2006), The Big Chill: Criterion Collection (1983), Schindler's List (1993), Casper (1995), The Fault in Our Stars: Little Infinities Edition (2014)

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 04:02 PM

I love this movie and cant wait for it
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 11:49 AM

I think I'll get this movie.

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 09:17 AM

Has this been pulled? I noticed a while ago that DVD Pacific changed the availability to "unknown" and forgot all about this title until 5 minutes ago. Amazon.com don't have it either.