Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Deadwood: Cancelled (?)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#101 of 107 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary M S

I never got hooked on so many of the ‘mainstream’ offerings with the exception of “Lost.” Always feel if I 'love' something, odds are , -its numbers will be low...(I seem to have somewhat esoteric tastes at times). Don’t watch Survivor/American Idol/ 24 / Sopranos and on & on.

I never watched (beyond a couple of checkouts) HSB’s or NYPD Blue.
Milch gave me the ‘come hither’ only via DEADWOOD.
Thanks for the kind words Mary. Naturally we may all differ on the quality of any particular series. My point was (perhaps not expressed all that well) that Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue are generally considered by critics to be outstanding examples of drama and TV. And Hill Street Blues is especially noteworthy for helping pave the way for several techniques that are now in common use, one of which, the single episode in a day, that helps to give Deadwood its character.

Both shows now look a little tame compared to The Wire and Homicide: Life on the Streets, but they did a lot to move the ‘gritty’ style of drama forward (Andy Sipowicz, much mellowed be the series end, began as an absolute piece of work, not at all something usual for a main character.

None of this necessarily might appeal to you, but I think that Milch has a track record that would get me to give any new show he created more than a passing chance.
¡Time is not my master!

#102 of 107 OFFLINE   Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 04:39 AM

Lew,
You are, - as always (99.9% Posted Image ) correct. Before my last post I completely grasped the point you elaborate.
I am suffering a fit of pique, which causes me to be currently disgruntled with the creator deserting my (only) personally preferenced viewing choice amongst his body of work. Therefore was hammering home that groundbreaking and talent does not equate to all viewers (via taste) weighting the ‘body of’ (or granting forgiviness) in equal measure.

I agree (in theory Posted Image ) he has broken ground in prior offerings and might in future
(it will be a cold day in hell Posted Image ) offer up something new to stir my interests comparable to DEADWOOD.
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#103 of 107 OFFLINE   Brent T

Brent T

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 12:54 AM

Deadwood TV Movies Update
Deadwood creator David Milch talks about the status of the upcoming HBO movies.

January 24, 2007 - Deadwood fans were crushed last summer to learn the HBO series was ending after only three seasons, and without a real series finale - When the third season completed production, the producers and actors assumed they'd be returning for another year, so the story was left open ended. HBO eventually announced they'd reached a deal with Deadwood creator David Milch to do two TV movies, to allow Milch the opportunity to properly finish the story. Not a lot has been heard since on the films, as Milch has begun production on his new HBO series, John From Cincinnati.

However, at the recent TCA (Television Critics Association) Press Tour, Milch was on hand to promote John, and the topic of Deadwood came up. Said Milch, "I spent a significant portion of yesterday in collaboration with Evan Wright, who's a wonderful writer, with whom I'm doing the first of the two Deadwood two-hour films. And we're very optimistic about the outcome of that work, and it's our intention that just the moment that we complete production on John From Cincinnati to begin work on that."

After the Q&A for John From Cincinnati, I was among a group of press who asked Milch a bit more about the Deadwood films. Milch seemed somewhat hesitant to say the films would be happening for sure, musing that, "There are imponderables in every undertaking. But I can tell you that I'm gonna have a pretty good script set in 1879, if they don't do it!"

However, Milch did confirm, "We have contracts, we have the set, we're doing the script." Asked what he felt could go wrong to stop the project, Milch explained there were no specifics he was concerned about, but that he felt anything could happen in general, saying, "How about a bomb? I've had 7 angioplasties. There's plenty that can go wrong."

Asked if the cast have been contracted to return, Milch answered, "That's been done. I don't know if every one of them is available, because to some extent it's contingent on the shooting. But I know that Ian [McShane] has differed; he's engaged to do a Broadway play. He's differed it for two months, to be available [for Deadwood] in the late summer, early fall. We have every intention of going forward."

I asked Milch if Gerald McCraney's character George Hearst might return in the films, considering he left town in the third season finale. "I wouldn't be surprised to see him," Milch coyly answered.

http://tv.ign.com/ar...8/758320p1.html

#104 of 107 OFFLINE   JayDerek

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 02:52 AM

^ oh thank god. That's sounding pretty positive...

~Jason
~Jason

#105 of 107 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,337 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 25 2007 - 07:01 AM

Yeah and it sounds like it's coming sooner than I expected.

#106 of 107 OFFLINE   TwoKings

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 05:59 PM

interesting. The last I heard was from W. Earl Brown a few months ago on the HBO forums when he said that Milch was working on scripts for this summer of shooting and a release in summer '08. I had not heard that the actors had signed contracts and I am curious to see exactly who is coming back and who is not.

I guess it is just for one movie and not the second, which means it will be a long time before we see an end to the story.

#107 of 107 OFFLINE   Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 02:30 PM

what does that mean: Ian McShane has differed. Milch can't even speak American in the current vernacular zeitgeist.
Posted Image
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !