What's new

Looking for opinions on Panny Projectors!? (1 Viewer)

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for anyone's opinion from experience with Panny's AE500 and 700U projectors. I'm looking at that as I close on my first house today with room to have a theater. My original plan for projector fell through so now i'm on to these two units. From their specs they will do everything I would want them too w/o breaking the bank. Also, I've been trying to locate either a new/refurb unit of these two w/o very much luck so if anyone has found these, I'd appreciate any point in the right direction.

Thanks,

Bill

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
HAve you considered the AE900? Significant generational step forward, and reduced vertical banding (significantly). All in all a very very nice display.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Projectors are like Porches, always get the latest one you can afford...lol Seeriously, if your budget allows for the 900 (1500 to 1700) get that. It's the flavor of the moment, and I'm sure in a year's time, they'll be on ebay for 500 bucks, but that didn't stop me from getting one anyway!

If, on the other hand, your budget is significant;y less, then go for the 700..I've seen it and it's very very nice...especially if you haven't experienced a pj before.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have been using a Panasonic PT-L500U 720p LCD projector for a little over a year and a half and love it. Absolutely problem free, with simple filter cleaning about every 100 hours.

Chris

Bill Marsh

Agent
I've had my panasonic ae700 for about ayear with 600 hrs on it. Hindsight suggests that I should have waited for the ae900 which had not yet emerged BUT the ae700 gives a very satisfying picture using the OPPO through hdmi and I feel that by the time I'm dissatisfied with this there will be streeting some obscenely contrasted pj that will blow this one out of the water. Buy the ae900 then you will be current--happy and enjoying your movies. I will never go back to rear--projection TV.

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the opinions on the projectors. Does anyone have any idea where i can find the 500/700 unit online from a dealer? It will suit me just fine, plus I can get one of those two units for about half the price of the 900 i hope.

Thanks again.

Bill

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Unless you want to buy refurbished, I don't think you can find a great deal on a new in the box PT-L500U or PT-AE700U now. Refurbished from online sellers or eBay might be worth consideration, otherwise, I would say find the best deal on an AE900U now. I have never had VB with my 500, I do a hard power off after cooldown each time but I don't know if that is the reason. VB seems to be hit or miss with the 500 and 700 but I agree if you have one with the issue, you will wish you had an AE900U quickly.

Chris

SamNavy

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have the 900u on my "toy recycle list." I'll be purchasing one after my latest hobby is sold. Anyone looking to buy a slightly used Italian crotch rocket... Aprilia Falco for sale.
I looked and looked for a 700u but could not find one I felt comfortable buying. I just checked ebay for ya and didn't see any 500/700's. Unless you can find one used in a classified section somewhere, I think you've missed the boat on that one.
In the latest issue of Sound and Vision, there is a budget projector shootout and the 900u gets the "best buy" vote. Right now, the cheapest place (believe me, I've looked and looked and looked) you can buy one is visualapex.com for $1799. With that, you get a $400 rebate from Panasonc and an (up to) $300 Blockbuster rental card. It's probably not a gift certificate, (probably a bunch of rent1, get one free deals) but still should still be worth something if you rent a lot of movies. Shipping is free with them, so you've got the 900u for $1400. That is where I intend to buy.
It think if you're looking at 720p native resolution, you're going to be hard pressed to beat the deal on the 900u for quality and price. Like I said, I've done lots and lots of homework and that it what I've come up with. It looks like the Sound and Vision guy agrees with me.
Good luck with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks