What's new

Sony Cybershot DSC-H2 is not recognized by computer (1 Viewer)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Does anyone has problem with the Sony Cybershot DSC-H2 connection to a USB port?

In my case, my computer does not recognize the camera as a device connected to any USB port. In some instance, my computer even freezes completely, and this is rare since my computer has a 3.2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, and 256MB video RAM in its own video ATI video card.

I have plenty of devices hooked up via USB to my computer, but nothing this bad has ever happened. I have two 300GB HD devices connected via USB ports, and I have no problem. I have two front USB ports which I seldon use, and I know they work, but neither of them recognizes the camera. Any ideas? Thanks.

Regards,
orestes
P.S. I bought this camera just yesterday, May 9, 2006!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Did you install the drivers that came with the camera before you plugged it in? If not, do so. Also, check Sony's website after installing to see if there are any updates to those drivers. You also did not mention which operating system you are running. Make sure you have the appropriate drivers for your O/S version.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I forgot the OS. My computer runs Windows XP Home Edition. Oh I did install the software that came with the camera, but Sony reps are telling me that the drivers for this camera are native drivers to Windows XP.

I have been told to set my camera from Auto to PTP under the USB option menu, but this did not help either.

I will try some other stuff tonight when I get home since I am currently at work. Thanks.

Regards,
orestes

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I am giving up trying to connect the stupid camera to my computer. I guess I will have to buy a driver which reads stick duo media or stick pro duo media so that I can move my pictures to my computer.

I sent a final email to Sony about this fiasco to let it know that this product sucks out of the box!

Regards,
orestes

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Problem solved! It was a Windows XP problem and bad advice from Sony support.

The biggest culprit was Windows XP. In my computer, I have a ZiO! SM card reader connected via USB hub found in the back of my monitor. This reader displays its icon under My Computer window in the left pane under "Devices with Removable Storage". Thus, for some strange reason it was conflicting with the USB connection from the camera (camera directly was connected to my computer via one of the two USB ports found in front of my PC). How did I know? Well, I disconnected the ZiO! reader, but nothing happened at first. Of course, Sony support has told me to switch the USB mode in my camera from "Auto" to "PTP". WRONG!!

I re-initialize all the settings on the camera, and set back the date, and picture size as I desire, and left everything else untouched. Then, as soon as I connected the stupid camera, my computer recognized it and even the Sony utility popped out indicating that I could save my pictures in my computer HD.

Problem solved no thanks to Sony! Thus, I think the ZiO! reader and the Sony camera cannot be connected both at the same time. I still have an old digital camera which uses SM cards, and I do need the ZiO! reader to transfer the pictures from my old SM cards to my PC.

I am posting this solution here just in case someone else gets in the same predicament as me. I hope this can help some other than me.

orestes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks