What's new

help w/dvd rom drive problem (1 Viewer)

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
I have only had my computer a little over a month and I am having a problem
with the dvd drive. It plays cd's fine,but put in a dvd and from the time the menus start the picture/video is choppy/stutters and the sound is popping.
I've tried using my laser lens cleaner but nothing has changed.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This question would probably be better posed in the Computers and HTPC area of the forum. There are some really knowledgable people there. If you want to keep it here, that's fine, but you might want to list your CPU and the amount of RAM you have, as both might have a bearing.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I've had the same type of problem with my DVD rom drive on my PC. My sister's boyfriend is an IT tech and he opened up the case on my PC and cleaned out all the dust accumulating in there. Movies and music play fine now.

CRyan

Screenwriter
The post above would indicate a heat problem, but I doubt that is it with it being so new.

More than likely you are having either video driver problems, audio driver problems, or an issue with your DVD decoder.

Couple of things we need to know.

1. What kind of PC?
2. Have you recently updated drivers for audio or video? Even using windows update?
3. What DVD player software are you using? Does it do it will all DVD software?
4. Are you sure the DVD works in other DVD players?
5. Did it ever work right?

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
eMachines PC T6420
I haven't updated my drives or anything yet.
Its worked fine until the last few days,my DVD's all work fine in my other players.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Also, what brand and model is the DVD-ROM drive? Perhaps a firmware upgrade may be in order?

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
I normally use Windows Media or Interactual players.
I'm not sure of the player model

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Erin:

Are you using Windows XP? You can determine the make and model # by going to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager. Click on the [+]DVD/CD-ROM Drives. There are tools for determining your drive's firmware version, but we can cross that bridge later.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
no other programs being used while playing dvds
RAM is 1024MB
Hard drive is 200GB

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Erin:

A new firmware was released late last month; here is the download link. I don't remember if you need to copy the file to a floppy disk or if you can just run the .exe from Windows. I would try running in Windows first (you may receive a warning message box if it doesn't permit you to run the .exe via Windows; if this is the case, you'll need to have a floppy disk handy).

If the firmware update doesn't work, it's possible that the laser unit may be poorly calibrated when it left the factory and you may need to RMA it (link). DVD+/-RW drives are fairly inexpensive to replace, so you may need to weigh the pros & cons of an RMA vs. purchasing a new drive. The SHW-1635S was one of Lite-On's better DVD writers; it's possible that you were unlucky with this particular unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks