What's new

Opinions on Sony Sony KDS-R60XBR1 60" HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Hello All,

I am having the need HDTV big screen bug and its festering inside me everyday. However, I am picky about picture quality and find when I am interested in Sony, I cannot stray from the XBR line.

Has anyone any experience with this model? Opinions? If Gregg reads this thread, I would value his opinion in regards to calibraion and quality, as I would be calling on his services 6 months after purchase. Thanks for any input I get.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I would wait several months. Sony will be releasing new models that can display 1080P. The current ones are limited to 1080i. Also, prices are expected to drop significantly. Sony will have 60 and 70 inch models in the XBR line. You might also think about getting a Blu Ray player after you get the new 1080P XBR...

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
This is a 1080p set. It can't accept 1080p material. It upconverts what you feed into it, i.e., 720p, 1080i, etc..., to 1080p.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Calibrates well. Nice set. Better than the original 70" version that Sony had.

Properly deinterlaced, it would be extremely hard to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p.

So would the newer SOny sets accept 1080p 24 fps video or not? Don't know.

Regards

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Michael, thanks for responding regarding calibration. Can you explain why 24fps on 1080p is an issue? I am familiar with the different 720 and 1080 renderings, but this is the first time I've seen fps in regards to TV viewing rather than PC gaming. Is this something I need to be aware of in regards to evaluating HDTV performance? Forgive my ingnorance but are there differences in fps rendering among sets? Please elaborate. Thanks.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
My friend Michael said:

"Properly deinterlaced, it would be extremely difficult to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080P."

Michael, I am sure you are speaking from personal experience, however, I would humbly suggest that you are putting yourself way out on a limb with this one.

Others who have looked at some of the EARLY 1080P sets have already said they look better on 1080i material than 1080i sets look. And apparently you are discounting any advantage of Blu Ray's 1080P discs.

I hope you will expand on your theory, as you will save Forum members thousands of dollars if there is no point in buying 1080P displays and 1080P Blu Ray discs.

Thanks

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm no expert, but if this is the XSRD set I've been looking at (I think it is), then I can't imagine a better picture. My only hesitation with purchase is my new house isn't finished yet. :)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
"Until now, the top resolution has been 1366 X 768 and many sets are 1280 X 720. Because 1080P TVs have more pixels (1920 X 1080), they can display sharper images, and the pixel grid is very faint. The improvement is most evident on big screens and in close-up viewing.

In our initial tests of 1080P sets, some showed very fine detail, but others didn't make the most of the high resolution. The best were very impressive.

The new TV's look their best when displaying 1080P HD signals. There isn't any 1080P content yet, but Blu Ray, due soon will support 1080P.

If you want the best possible quality and cost is no issue, buy a 1080P set."

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi all
Sony is making a fine display. It would be nice if it would accept and a 1080p signal but that is a secondary concern, where as contrast ratio, color representation, and colorimetry are primary concerns.
Some of the sonys have huge swings in color uniformity, from the center to the edges. This has come to be known as the "green blob". I would not own a set with the problem.
I am really looking forward to the new Samsung displays that are using the LED technology for the reasons of: longer bulb life, no rainbow effects, the ability to accept 1080p, and the ability to properly adjust for not only correct gray scale, but also for correct primaries and secondaries.

regards

Gregg

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Greg:

Do you expect the new Samsung DLP to be able to display deep blacks and shades of gray as well as the Sony SXRD's?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
My friend Gregg said, " DLP can display deep black and shades of gray as well as Sony SXRD."

I am sure you are speaking from experience, Gregg, however, I would humbly suggest that this puts you out on a limb along with Michael TLV.

When Sound & Vision tested the HP 58 inch DLP against the SXRD they said about the DLP, "Some loss of of black depth in dark scenes."

While about the Sony SXRD they said: "Deep blacks and detailed shadows."

Of course, the HP is no Samsung...

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hey Arthur,
The Samsung, IMO, is a near reference television. HP has some problems with blacks AND so does the Samsung. The Samsung's problem is with the implimentation of the DNIe circuitry. The DNIe varies black level, and crushes near black detail. The DNIe also adds some nasty edge enhancemnt. However, DNIe is totally defeatable with the Samsungs.
Regards
Gregg

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Interesting.... I had not considered Samsung. I will investigate their models. Gregg mentions color uniformity being inconsistent with some Sony models. I wonder if this includes the XBR's? Thanks for all the discussion. Please continue if anyone has anything further to discuss or contribute.

WendellW

Auditioning
Hi all. I'd like to chime in, more with questions than answers. I'm within a month or two of (I thought!) purchasing the R60XBR1. This thread intrigues me, and maybe one or more of you can enlighten me...

I will look at the Samsung, Gregg, but in the meantime, how much will I really be missing down the road if I went with the Sony? When will there be any real 1080p/i material? Am I cutting off my nose to spite my face? Or, considering that there ALWAYS will be something new on the market the minute you buy yours, would the Sony or the Samsung be of a high enough quality from the get-go that I should be happy for the foreseeable future? Finally, if I buy an HD-DVD player in a year or so, wouldn't either of these sets be perfectly OK? You all seem to know more than I do about this than I - I just don't want to be making a shortsighted investment, though I've been waiting for such a long time to "get in", and I'd really like to get this done this summer.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi
the sony problem is limited to some of their LCOS models.
the new samsungs will be out anyday now.
regards

WendellW

Auditioning
Are you talking about the ones with the traditional light engine/color wheel, or the new LED light engine? Was the set you were referring to earlier in the thread the LED or the "traditional" DLP?

Thanks

joe_pre

Agent
Just thought I'd chime in here. I am also considering purchasing the KDS-R60XBR1 in the next few months, but have also considered the samsungs (either the 87 series or the new LED ones). I also plan on buying the PS3 when it comes out. So which would people suggest, Samsung or Sony? I've been leaning towards the Sony. My only hesitation on it is that it doesn't accept a 1080p signal, which I think the PS3 is. If I buy the Sony and it upconverts the signal, I would assume it would still look spectacular? (if not that big of a difference). Also thinking of purchasing a DVD player along with this TV. Something that upconverts. I can ask that in the appropriate thread but thought I'd throw it out there in this message. Thanks for all the help in my previous thread!

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread