What's new

This Island Earth and The Deadly Mantis ? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Didn't I see somewhere a couple months back that Universal was going to release a Sci-Fi and Horror box series this Spring or Summer that would include This Island Earth and The Deadly Mantis? I can't seem to find the thread. :confused:

Eric

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I think I'd have remembered hearing this - don't think there's anything official. You may be referring to a couple of threads that dealt with our fervent hopes that a sci-fi set would be forthcoming from Universal soon, mentioning those (among many other) titles.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I frequent a Classic Horror & Science Fiction Forum where I'm on the "Universal" thread several times per day. Believe me, there's nothing announced yet, or even rumored.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Universal released Tarantula and The Incredible Shrinking Man this year in the UK. Maybe they have something up their sleeve for here...but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an arm:frowning:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'd love to have dvds of both This Island Earth and The Deadly Mantis, currently I only have them on vhs and um Super 8? And I also have the MST3K editions of both films. They show clips from This Island Earth on a documentary on the It Came From Outer Space dvd which I bought recently along with Tarantula and The Incredible Shrinking Man (just £5.99 each R2) so maybe it's in the next batch.

Gereon_B

Grip
Dunno if I should post this here, but This Island Earth is avaiable on R2 in Germany. It is a bonus DVD to the german release of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Movie, is in 1,33:1 (open matte) and with english mono track.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
A post a few weeks ago said that "This Island Earth" was 1.85:1. Maybe Universal will re-release it in it's correct OAR.

The print used for "The Deadly Mantis" on the 1993 Golden Age of Science Fiction Thrillers LD Box Set ("It Came from Outer Space/Tarantula/The Mole People/The Deadly Mantis) is beautiful!

But of course, Universal never restores these films, it just ports over the LD print.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Actually, THIS ISLAND'S EARTH suggested ratio was 2:1, which having watched the film that way, I have no problem with. Unfortunately, there are some people who have seen this film full-frame for so long on TV that they have no conception that it could have been a wide-screen film.

I agree, though-- these films need their place on my shelf. Seeing as they've retransferred their Hammer films, though, I have faith that perhaps we'll be seeing them soon in their correct, widescreen aspect ratios.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Not only did Universal re-transfer the Hammer films, they did a wonderful job restoring the films and transferring them to DVD - credit where credit is due, and I'd put money on them doing a decent job with these movies sooner rather than later.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

But too bad they issued the set on faulty DVD-18's, which screwed up in many players, thus rendering their transfers null and void.

JohnPM

Second Unit
Universal recently licensed "The Creature Walks Among Us" and "Revenge Of The Creature" to the Monsters HD channel, and both were broadcast full-frame. I would have hoped these two would put right for their HD-TV premieres, but it didn't happen. Wasn't the Region 2 DVD of "Tarantula" also full-frame?

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Add me to the list of those dying to see THIS ISLAND EARTH issued in a new transfer that restores its Technicolor beauty.

William Miller

Second Unit
From Universal's website:

This Island Earth
Release Date: 08/29/2006
Packaging: Snap Case Price: $10.98

No Synopsis Available

Run Time: 1 Hour 26 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Not Rated Technical Information

Technical Information
Audio
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Picture: Full Frame (1.33:1)
Color

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Naturally Universal continues to under mine thier catalogue. Are all the studios slowing down on older titles and waiting for Hi-Def instead? I'd love to have a GOLDEN AGE OF SCI-FI Collection like the old Laser Disc set.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
What is the correct Aspect Ratio? I aaumed it was 1:33. And Universal where is Mole People ????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks