Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Coming from Warner Home Video... in High Definition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,756 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 05:31 AM

Although specific release dates have not yet been officially firmed, the following will be arriving during the summer / fall season from WB: The Dirty Dozen - SE The Searchers SE - from newly restored Vista Vision elements Grand Prix - SE and the first of the Ultra-Resolution titles: Singin' in the Rain and The Adventures of Robin Hood All in HD. And even more of a reason to make the move to the new format. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 05:43 AM

Nice, I'm looking forward to watching The Adventures of Robin Hood in HD. All that color. All that detail. Should be amazing. By the way, will there be any "words" about the Goodfellas HD-DVD? As always, thanks for your contributions, Robert. -Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#3 of 34 ONLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,830 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 06:07 AM

All mine. Posted Image

That is a terrific list of titles from Warners. It is great to see Warner Bros. supporting their classics on HD. I bet that all of them will look magnificent. Especially looking forward to The Searchers and Singin' In The Rain. Thanks for the information.

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 08 2006 - 06:18 AM

Any specifics on format? Both HD-DVD and BD? - Steve

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,756 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 06:39 AM

A few words will be written re: Goodfellas, which has not yet been received. I've been looking forward to this one. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul Borges

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 07:06 AM

It's funny that The Searchers was one of the first classics on DVD and it will be one of the first on HD. I'll be curious to see how box sets will be handled. For example, will the Classic Comedies Collection on DVD be duplicated for HD? Anyways thanks for the update!

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 07:14 AM

Robert, so summer/fall means July/August is the earliest for some of these?

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,756 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 08:35 AM

Summer / Fall is my way of leaving room lest anything unforeseen develop. Late June would be a good target for personal budgeting. These will be very special high definition releases. And from what I'm hearing, the image quality is astounding! RAH

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,860 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 08:56 AM

Wonderful! I can't wait for all of them, especially ROBIN HOOD.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 09:00 AM

you sure know the right things to say to make a guy feel all funny inside Posted Image

Now I wonder If DDD will be including HD titles in the 20% off sales?

#11 of 34 ONLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 483 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted May 10 2006 - 02:46 PM

I'm assuming the new elements on The Searchers were used in tonight's 'American Masters' documentary on John Ford on PBS-HD. One shot of the trek across the snow was especially eye-popping.

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted May 11 2006 - 02:33 AM

Whoa.....SEARCHERS, SINGIN IN THE RAIN and ROBIN HOOD in HD this summer? Nobody pinch me, I like this dream.

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   David_MSP

David_MSP

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted May 11 2006 - 02:54 AM

Robert, Thank you very much for the info! It's much appreciated. If I may ask, do you know anything about possible Universal releases coming this year? Do you think they are diving into it as much as Warner Brothers? I know it certainly seems that way from my point of view. You had previously alluded to the possibility of "Spartacus" on HD-DVD someday. I realize nothing is a guarantee but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if this is one of their likely titles and/or if they have any other "big guns" lined up for release. Again, thanks for the ongoing info, disc reviews, and support of this format. It's encouraging to see you excited about this. It speaks volumes to me.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,564 posts

Posted May 11 2006 - 03:07 AM

From one Robert to another,

Titles like these mean that I'll be getting an HD player that much sooner. Posted Image Yummy!

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted May 11 2006 - 05:23 AM

"personal budgeting.....?" sigh....sometimes I just dont understand this technical jargon used by such highly esteemed folks as Robert. Of all the terminology used on this forum, it continues to be the one I know least about, am not inclined to learn about and in fact, am just plain, darn un-teachable! Posted Image
Peter

My Collection

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 11 2006 - 08:17 AM

everything got pushed around with the last delay, but the 'leaked' list had SITR and RH scheduled for more in the Fall. Maybe they got bumped upas others got bumped back?

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,756 posts

Posted May 12 2006 - 02:23 AM

While I can in no way speak for Universal, they have a superb library, and a very well run home video division. Summer is generally considered to be a slow season, and that's precisely where we're heading at the moment. I've a feeling that by fall, we'll be seeing a myriad of favorites coming from the vaults of Universal, along with the continued requisite quality that made them so effective at the dawn of SD DVD. At the moment, it seems more like they're teasing us with releases. As they ramp up to full speed, I'm certain that great things will happen. RAH

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   John McAdams

John McAdams

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted May 12 2006 - 02:40 AM

Robert, As a new member I am thoroughly enjoying your reviews. I hope you will be reviewing BD movies soon as that is my format of choice.

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,756 posts

Posted May 12 2006 - 05:00 AM

We're certainly going to spend equal time with Blu. As a point of reference, my posts are generally not considers as "reviews," but more technical and quality overviews. I prefer to leave the reviewing to those who can do it better than I, and can give the full time necessary to the releases. RAH

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted May 12 2006 - 07:04 AM

I have to admit I'm surprised to read this. In my eyes, Universal has become nearly synonymous with incompetency over the past several years. I can quote part of the littany here....Jurassic Park DTS, Back To The Future, E.T., Monty Python's Meaning Of Life, forced trailers for a while, DVD-18's consistently defective... No studio is perfect, but Universal has been the worst by far IMO. Now, when they do get it right, it's usually very good. Maybe the home video division refers to a part of the company different from those responsible for the aforementioned problems. But either way, Universal has not inspired confidence for me in a long time.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot