What's new

*** Official MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for Mission: Impossible III. Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of Mission: Impossible III should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

That's a valid point. Watching Hoffman on-screen was riveting. While I wouldn't care for personal details such as how he got involved in his current line of work, who his family is, etc., perhaps an extra scene where we see him "on the job" would have filled in some of the gaps in his character motivation. To his credit, Hoffman took what little there was and made a truly memorable screen villain out of it.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Whilst I would have like to see him more involved, In a way I think his lack of screentime makes the scenes he is in more effective. He is great in it and you can have too much of a good thing. Better to leave us wanting more....

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Heading out to see this one in a few minutes. I really liked the first two so I have high hopes for this one.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I thought Hoffman did fine. Of course I wish there was more of him, but I agree with Simon. His limited role made him more powerful, more fearsome, and more terrifying. He always seemed in control.

I did think there was one terrible scene. The car scene between Declan and Zhen. What's the point of that? Felt forced and out of place.

I do think the Vatican kidnap, etc was a GREAT sequence. I loved the whole bit.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Just got back from seeing it.
Simon Pegg is bloody wonderful in the film, JJ took the character of Marshall (Alias) and made it better, I didn't even think that was possible.
I was happy to see Grunberg in the beginning, but I was hoping to see more of him.
I liked the first M:I, the second one is only good if you go in wanting to see a lot of pointless action. This one though is by far the best one.

My one little issue with it, and it's not really an issue, I guess it's more of a compliment.
The movie was the first episode (the Pilot) of Alias, but with Tom Cruise and not Jennifer Garner.
I kept waiting for something Rambaldi related to pop up and who knows maybe "Rabbit Foot" was a Rambaldi device. :D

I loved the movie though. Again for me it's the same thing, it's a great movie but not because Tom is in it, but because of the script, directing, and supporting acting.
I think JJ handled the film well. I got sucked into the movie pretty well and I'm looking forward to whatever he does next.

Liked the Thank You to the Hanso Foundation.

I was thinking about the whole Hoffman thing, I love the man he's an acting genius (it was fun to see him and Crudup together, last working on Almost Famous but not having any scene's together) but I like that we didn't see too much of him, kept him mysterious and I was truly surprised by Crudup. He's a good actor too. I'm not used to seeing him with short hair and sans-facial hair.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I liked when they were getting ready to fly to Germany near the beginning that they used the original show music (Not the theme song). Also, the lettering that said "Germany" looked similar to the originals font.

Also, did they show or say what Fishburne gave Cruise in the envelope??

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Anbody know what kind of stock they shot it on? I'd say color reversal due to the grainy oversaturated look to it

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
It was plain old Kodak Vision2 negative film. Some of the Shanghai sequence was shot on HD video due to lack of light, though. This is according to American Cinematographer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It was obvious to me what motivated him. Money, power and an affinity for hurting people.

Crawdaddy

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I read the AC article as well. This was anamorphic! Great colors from Dan Mindel. I don't want to gripe about such a massively entertaining movie, but I was not too sure about the truly incessant orchestral music cues. Although I did really like the use of different songs in the opening party to mark time advancement.

My theatre was pitifully empty (not more than half, maayybe 3/4 full), and this is the theatre (Seattle Cinerama) that was able to sell out Sin City and Kill Bill 2. I sure hope this does well.

More thoughts later.

Regards,
Nathan

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
There were a lot of great action moments in the film, but the one that made me smile the most was hearing Sister Sledge come on the soundtrack in full.

"We are family . . ." What a totally random, yet totally cool moment. Pure Abrams, I'm guessing (though it could be a Cruise shout-out to Katie and soon-to-be-named Suri). :)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Nathan V, how did it look in the Cinerama? Going to see it tomorrow and might drive the 25 miles to downtown, but gas prices, ya know...:D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This was Alias on the big screen and a very good homage to the M:I TV series. Appreciate the respect and updates of the traditional "Your mission, should you decide to accept it", the team aspect, the gadgets and mask making technology. Liked Maggie Q.

Fun summer popcorn entertainment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So does everybody agree that there was a former romantic relationship between Hunt and Ferris? IMO, there was definitely something more than just Hunt being her mentor.

Crawdaddy

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
A good, solid movie, and a near great in the action genre. A lot of fun, but not a lot of depth. Solid 4 stars out of 5.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hunt did say he considered the relationship with Ferris was like she was a little sister.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks