Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#1 of 75 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 05 2006 - 08:20 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for Mission: Impossible III. Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of Mission: Impossible III should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 75 Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 09:14 AM

Quote:
I wished they had developed a meatier role for Hoffman he was completely wasted in the film. Here is a powerhouse actor and given the chance they could have created a great screen villain. I wouldn't have minded sacrificing some of the action for a little more development there. They did not give him much to do. Any capable character actor could have done this role. That's not a knock on Hoffman it's just that there wasn't much for him to work with.

That's a valid point. Watching Hoffman on-screen was riveting. While I wouldn't care for personal details such as how he got involved in his current line of work, who his family is, etc., perhaps an extra scene where we see him "on the job" would have filled in some of the gaps in his character motivation. To his credit, Hoffman took what little there was and made a truly memorable screen villain out of it.

#3 of 75 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 1,999 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted May 05 2006 - 11:25 AM

Whilst I would have like to see him more involved, In a way I think his lack of screentime makes the scenes he is in more effective. He is great in it and you can have too much of a good thing. Better to leave us wanting more....

#4 of 75 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 11:57 AM

Heading out to see this one in a few minutes. I really liked the first two so I have high hopes for this one.

#5 of 75 Mark E J

Mark E J

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 12:42 PM

Do they use the original theme music in this one like they did the last two?

#6 of 75 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E J
Do they use the original theme music in this one like they did the last two?
Yes. And unlike the first two, "The Plot" is back as well.

#7 of 75 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,959 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 02:03 PM

I thought Hoffman did fine. Of course I wish there was more of him, but I agree with Simon. His limited role made him more powerful, more fearsome, and more terrifying. He always seemed in control.

I did think there was one terrible scene. The car scene between Declan and Zhen. What's the point of that? Felt forced and out of place.

I do think the Vatican kidnap, etc was a GREAT sequence. I loved the whole bit.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#8 of 75 nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 03:30 PM

Just got back from seeing it.
Simon Pegg is bloody wonderful in the film, JJ took the character of Marshall (Alias) and made it better, I didn't even think that was possible.
I was happy to see Grunberg in the beginning, but I was hoping to see more of him.
I liked the first M:I, the second one is only good if you go in wanting to see a lot of pointless action. This one though is by far the best one.

My one little issue with it, and it's not really an issue, I guess it's more of a compliment.
The movie was the first episode (the Pilot) of Alias, but with Tom Cruise and not Jennifer Garner.
I kept waiting for something Rambaldi related to pop up and who knows maybe "Rabbit Foot" was a Rambaldi device. Posted Image

I loved the movie though. Again for me it's the same thing, it's a great movie but not because Tom is in it, but because of the script, directing, and supporting acting.
I think JJ handled the film well. I got sucked into the movie pretty well and I'm looking forward to whatever he does next.

Liked the Thank You to the Hanso Foundation.

I was thinking about the whole Hoffman thing, I love the man he's an acting genius (it was fun to see him and Crudup together, last working on Almost Famous but not having any scene's together) but I like that we didn't see too much of him, kept him mysterious and I was truly surprised by Crudup. He's a good actor too. I'm not used to seeing him with short hair and sans-facial hair.
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#9 of 75 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,842 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 04:36 PM

I liked when they were getting ready to fly to Germany near the beginning that they used the original show music (Not the theme song). Also, the lettering that said "Germany" looked similar to the originals font.

Also, did they show or say what Fishburne gave Cruise in the envelope??
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#10 of 75 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 05:04 PM

Anbody know what kind of stock they shot it on? I'd say color reversal due to the grainy oversaturated look to it

#11 of 75 Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 06:28 PM

It was plain old Kodak Vision2 negative film. Some of the Shanghai sequence was shot on HD video due to lack of light, though. This is according to American Cinematographer.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#12 of 75 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 05 2006 - 06:55 PM

That's a valid point. Watching Hoffman on-screen was riveting. While I wouldn't care for personal details such as how he got involved in his current line of work, who his family is, etc., perhaps an extra scene where we see him "on the job" would have filled in some of the gaps in his character motivation. To his credit, Hoffman took what little there was and made a truly memorable screen villain out of it.

It was obvious to me what motivated him. Money, power and an affinity for hurting people.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#13 of 75 Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 10:44 PM

I read the AC article as well. This was anamorphic! Great colors from Dan Mindel. I don't want to gripe about such a massively entertaining movie, but I was not too sure about the truly incessant orchestral music cues. Although I did really like the use of different songs in the opening party to mark time advancement.

My theatre was pitifully empty (not more than half, maayybe 3/4 full), and this is the theatre (Seattle Cinerama) that was able to sell out Sin City and Kill Bill 2. I sure hope this does well.

More thoughts later.

Regards,
Nathan
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#14 of 75 Joe Wong

Joe Wong

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 11:00 PM

Did anyone think Crudup looked like an adult Henry Thomas (ET)?

Cheers,

Joe
Movie reviews and discussion...Joe's Movie Mutterings

#15 of 75 Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted May 06 2006 - 12:29 AM

There were a lot of great action moments in the film, but the one that made me smile the most was hearing Sister Sledge come on the soundtrack in full.

"We are family . . ." What a totally random, yet totally cool moment. Pure Abrams, I'm guessing (though it could be a Cruise shout-out to Katie and soon-to-be-named Suri). Posted Image

#16 of 75 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted May 06 2006 - 02:40 AM

Nathan V, how did it look in the Cinerama? Going to see it tomorrow and might drive the 25 miles to downtown, but gas prices, ya know...Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#17 of 75 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 10,998 posts

Posted May 06 2006 - 03:01 AM

This was Alias on the big screen and a very good homage to the M:I TV series. Appreciate the respect and updates of the traditional "Your mission, should you decide to accept it", the team aspect, the gadgets and mask making technology. Liked Maggie Q.

Fun summer popcorn entertainment.

#18 of 75 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 06 2006 - 04:53 AM

So does everybody agree that there was a former romantic relationship between Hunt and Ferris? IMO, there was definitely something more than just Hunt being her mentor.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#19 of 75 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted May 06 2006 - 05:50 AM

A good, solid movie, and a near great in the action genre. A lot of fun, but not a lot of depth. Solid 4 stars out of 5.

#20 of 75 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 10,998 posts

Posted May 06 2006 - 06:54 AM

Hunt did say he considered the relationship with Ferris was like she was a little sister.

Forum Nav Content I Follow