Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Leave It To Beaver: Season 2" -- A Personal Review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#21 of 94 James RD

James RD

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted May 07 2006 - 11:28 AM

Howdy, David and Mike! Thanks for the review, David. Got this set last Wed. I love this show.

#22 of 94 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 07 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hi James. (And all other Beaver fans.)

#23 of 94 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,068 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted May 07 2006 - 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David VP

(BTW -- Beaver looks JUST like a "Bronson".)

Yes, he has the Bronson chin.Posted Image

#24 of 94 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,756 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 07 2006 - 03:52 PM

Quote:
By-the-by, Mike F. ...... Did you take particular notice of the three or four well-done "Third-Grade" dubs that were integrated into the S.2 debut episode ("Beaver's Poem")? The dubs affect several of the actors too....with Ward being dubbed once, Wally once, and The Beav at least one time too.

Nope. Never caught it. I think I'll go back when I fire up the next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James RD
Howdy, David and Mike!

Hey James! It's been a long time since the three of us hung out in a thread! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#25 of 94 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted May 07 2006 - 04:39 PM

Quote:
Hi James. (And all other Beaver fans.)

Remember when Lucy told Ricky's Uncle Alberto "macho grasa" instead of "muchas gracias", calling him a big fat pig instead of thanking him? (Maybe that's the real international incident that caused Cuba to break relations with us). You'd think Beaver would've learned a lesson from that episode! It's obvious he never stopped taking advice from Eddie, since he keeps getting the Beav in trouble everytime he offers to help him.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#26 of 94 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 09:59 AM

Quote:
It's obvious he never stopped taking advice from Eddie, since he keeps getting the Beav in trouble every time he offers to help him.
So true. But I guess we must also keep in mind that Theodore didn't always seem to be the sharpest tool in the Cleaver toolshed. Posted Image Posted Image

Beaver KNOWS that he's not supposed to mess around with his dad's power tools. So what does he do anyway? He plugs in the power drill and let's Larry drill holes in the garage ("Maybe it was a mistake", June wonders. ... "Twice??", is Ward's irritated reply. Posted Image )

Beaver knows he's not supposed to play over at the construction site in his "good suit". So what does he do? He plays at the construction site in his good suit.

Etc., etc.

Of course, a lot of the trouble Beaver found himself in during the early years of the series could be justified not by lack of brain cells...but simply by using the words "He's just a kid".

But The Beav doesn't seem to acquire too much more brain power in his awkward teen years either. Obviously, this is no fault of actor Jerry Mathers. The character of Beaver in those latter years was simply written as if The Beav was forever a goofball (in many instances at any rate).

I suppose the writers might have been afraid to "sharpen up" the brain power of Theodore, based on the title of the series alone. "Leave It To Beaver" indicates, right away, that Beaver is probably going to get himself into some kind of predicament by episode's end.

But I'm just glad that many Season-Five and Season-Six episodes centered on Wally and his friends Eddie and "The Lump", instead of keeping the focus more on The Beav. It's fairly obvious that writers Connelly & Mosher could see the appeal of the 17-year-old Wallace, and therefore built many shows around him instead of Beaver.

In a way, I really felt sorry for Jerry Mathers in those latter years....because the tide was turning away from him (so to speak). It certainly wasn't Jerry's fault that he was growing like a weed and he was outgrowing the show's title. And, overall, I think Jerry handled that awkward situation very well. He wasn't exactly a Gregory Peck or a Jimmy Stewart (or even a Dabbs Greer for that matter Posted Image) in the "good acting" department...but other than Ronny Howard in Year 1 of "The Andy Griffith Show", I'd say that Jerry Mathers in years 1 and 2 (esp. 1) of LITB was just about the cutest and most-appealing kid actor ever to come down the TV pike. Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 of 94 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,756 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 08 2006 - 02:43 PM

Quote:
[/b]
...but other than Ronny Howard in Year 1 of "The Andy Griffith Show", I'd say that Jerry Mathers in years 1 and 2 (esp. 1) of LITB was just about the cutest and most-appealing kid actor ever to come down the TV pike. Posted Image

Agreed.

One of the things I also enjoyed about the later years, David, of LITB was the interplay between Wally & June. The writers really nailed thier relationship! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#28 of 94 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 08 2006 - 02:53 PM

Quote:
One of the things I also enjoyed about the later years, David, of LITB was the interplay between Wally & June. The writers really nailed thier relationship!
I'd never really thought too much about the "Wallace/June" relationship heretofore. Perhaps I'll have to think about it now.

But one thing I do know......

"Gee, mom, the way they fix ladies' hair nowadays, you can't tell if they've been to the beauty parlor or just standing out in the wind." -- Wallace Cleaver Posted Image

#29 of 94 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,756 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 08 2006 - 03:19 PM

Most of the scenes I'm thinking about take place in the kitchen when Wally comes home from school. Just nice little scenes which show off the wonderful chemistry between the two actors.

#30 of 94 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 09 2006 - 04:16 PM

Upon watching the fabulous S.2 episode "Happy Weekend", I noted a scene I had never seen before -- the scene where the Cleavers first drive up to "Cabin 12" up in the woods, and June does a little complaining about nobody being there to help them with their luggage. A truly great old-fashioned episode, worthy of numerous viewings. Posted Image

Plus -- We get to see June in pants! Posted Image

If I'm not mistaken, that might very well be the only episode in the whole series when we see June wearing something other than a dress.*

* = July 7th Edit: I've since discovered I was wrong in this June wardrobe regard. She's seen in pants in at least three episodes during the first couple of seasons of LITB.

"But right now we're all going up to 'Shadow Lake', and we're going to have a wonderful time! Okay?!" -- Ward Cleaver Posted Image Posted Image

#31 of 94 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 09 2006 - 05:11 PM

Beaver Trivia Break...........

I've discovered an episode where we actually get to see Larry Mondello's father (aka: "Mr. Queen City"; Cincinnati).

In what episode does the elusive Mr. Mondello appear?

(A correct answer wins you 2 free passes to the carnival over at Garden Grove, featuring the famous man who coughs up shredded knives.) Posted Image

#32 of 94 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 16 2006 - 06:25 PM

From "The Shave" (11/20/1958):

"Hey June! Beaver just told me that Wally intercepted a pass today and ran for a touchdown!" -- Ward Cleaver

"Oh, no, Ward! Now they'll probably want him to play ALL the time!" -- June Bronson-Cleaver Posted Image

Now....someone's going to need to explain the logic of Ward having to "go without shaving" just because Wally used the last razor blade to shave the vast nothingness off of his face. .... Even if Wallace did use the last blade, there's no way that the blade could be dulled in the slightest manner, due to Wally having no facial foliage to cut off in the first place. Therefore, Ward should have still been able to shave with that last blade prior to spending another lovely evening with The Rutherfords.

Perry....your witness. Posted Image

#33 of 94 Jack Platt

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 12:39 PM

Quote:
Beaver Trivia Break...........

I've discovered an episode where we actually get to see Larry Mondello's father (aka: "Mr. Queen City"; Cincinnati).

In what episode does the elusive Mr. Mondello appear?

(A correct answer wins you 2 free passes to the carnival over at Garden Grove, featuring the famous man who coughs up shredded knives.) Posted Image

I think I know!

Is it "School Play" where Beaver gets stage fright over being a canary, and at the last minute switches parts with Whitey and plays the mushroom? I think after their play, Larry is talking to his Dad and says something like, "Gee Dad, I had trouble hopping?" Wasn't Larry a toad in the play?

Jack

#34 of 94 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 01:16 AM

Quote:
Is it "School Play" where Beaver gets stage fright over being a canary, and at the last minute switches parts with Whitey and plays the mushroom? I think after their play, Larry is talking to his Dad and says something like, "Gee Dad, I had trouble hopping?" Wasn't Larry a toad in the play?
DING! DING!
~~BELLS! WHISTLES!~~

You are correct sir!

And your two tickets to the Garden Grove carnival are in the mail now! Nice job. Posted Image

Larry's remark to his dad, however, was "Gee, dad, I couldn't find the hole in the curtain".

Posted Image

#35 of 94 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 10:19 AM

Today's Beav Quiz:

Which of the following stellar motion-picture properties was never mentioned during an episode of LITB (any season)? ......

1.) Monsters From Outer Space
2.) Voodoo Curse
3.) Planet Of Doom
4.) The Beast That Ate Minnesota
5.) Vampire Valley
6.) The Thing That Creeps
7.) Kongarilla
8.) Massacre At Blood River
9.) Wayward Girls Go To Town
10.) Gone With The Wind

#36 of 94 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 20 2006 - 04:26 PM

Does anyone know what season first used the "Jazzy" intro music theme for the show? Was it the last season?

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#37 of 94 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 20 2006 - 05:13 PM

Yes, Jeff, the last (sixth) season only for the jazzy theme.

#38 of 94 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,001 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 03:36 AM

Quote:
Today's Beav Quiz:

Which of the following stellar motion-picture properties was never mentioned during an episode of LITB (any season)? ......

1.) Monsters From Outer Space
2.) Voodoo Curse
3.) Planet Of Doom
4.) The Beast That Ate Minnesota
5.) Vampire Valley
6.) The Thing That Creeps
7.) Kongarilla
8.) Massacre At Blood River
9.) Wayward Girls Go To Town
10.) Gone With The Wind

I remember 1, 2, 3, 5 and 9 ... can't say I remember the others.

I also remember June saying something like "Flowers in Spring" -- "that sounds like a good movie for children" -- until Ward reads to her, "Made in Sweden - Adults Only."

But my favorite movie mention on "Leave It to Beaver" is when Wally and Eddie are going to see "Spartacus," and Eddie tells Ward he's only going because he's a student of history and he wants to see if they made any historical errors.

#39 of 94 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 04:41 AM

How about "Jungle Fever" which the boys watched through binoculars at a Drive-In movie on the ground below their cabin. Just another title that was perverted in the 90s and as a result, will always bring a chuckle when watching that episode. Posted Image
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#40 of 94 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 04:20 PM

Trivia answer:

4.) The Beast That Ate Minnesota. Posted Image

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow