Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Leave It To Beaver: Season 2" -- A Personal Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 of 94 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 01:27 PM

#2 of 94 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,715 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 03 2006 - 03:26 PM

David: Thank you...several times over!

What a terrific post. And a Crosley Field reference, to boot! Posted Image

I cannot wait until I get my hands on this set! I believe it will be my weekend project...if I can't figure out how to secure it sooner!

Am glad to hear you're pleased with the video transfer..and that you say it's just as good as Season 1.

I wonder how these sets are selling for Universal. It sure would be nice to find out.

I'll report back later with my own impressions when I've finally got this gem in my hands.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 94 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 05:43 PM

As of this moment, it's doing pretty well -- #51 @ Amazon:

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #51 in DVD.
Yesterday: #36 in DVD.

#4 of 94 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 07:35 PM

Is the original closing Universal logo on Seasons One and Two?

#5 of 94 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 08:37 PM

There's no "Universal" logo anywhere on S.1 or S.2. Is there supposed to be (even though S.1 & S.2 were officially "MCA TV" productions in these years)?

At the end of the closing credits, the only logos that appear are:

"Filmed at Revue in Hollywood"

and

"In association with MCA TV -- Exclusive Distributor".

#6 of 94 OFFLINE   HowardPaul

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 01:33 AM

Fabulous review! I loved Season 1 and can't wait to see this. How

#7 of 94 OFFLINE   John Carr

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 04:46 AM

Great review David -- hats off! I've watched the first 2 discs and agree with all your comments and evaluations. My only surprise for this season was at how much hollering Ward does in some of the early episodes! I don't remember him getting that angry, but -- as you mentioned -- some of that was cut out for the reruns... So my memory was probably overlaid by repeats, too. Even June raises her voice! I do remember my Dad hated both Father Knows Best and Leave It To Beaver, because I'd always stick them in his eye! I even had my little brothers telling him, 'Why can't you be more like Ward Cleaver?' To this day, just mentioning these shows raises his blood pressure! My Dad was quite the world-class hollerer and made even Ward's outbursts seem tame -- or I would have remembered them! Not that having 5 kids, 4 of them boys, had anything to do with it! Nor did it help that we were a bunch of wild Injuns compared to the Cleaver boys... John

#8 of 94 OFFLINE   Jim-M

Jim-M

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for the excellent review. Your highlights of the episodes really captured the essence of the show. We haven't even finished season 1 yet, but I'll get season 2 eventually and am now more excited about it based on your review. This is spurring me to get going and start watching season 1 again - little league season has really cut down on the time for that.

#9 of 94 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 07:36 AM

I think those are the right logos. I don't think it was officially Universal until a year or so later.

#10 of 94 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 08:43 AM

Right. I was thinking that was correct too. The show moved from the "Republic" ("Revue") lot to the Universal lot for Season 3 (hence, the house change). Interesting, though, is that the producers obviously knew that such a move was coming for S.3, because in the latter S.2 shows the Cleavers are actively in the market for a new house.

#11 of 94 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,715 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 04 2006 - 08:52 AM

You see, I never knew that!

David, THAT kind of information is why I was hoping you'd do one of your reviews for LITB: S2! Very cool! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#12 of 94 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 09:28 AM

Mike,

That info re. the switch from "Republic"/"Revue" to the "Universal" lot is info I gleaned from Jerry Mathers' book "...And Jerry Mathers As 'The Beaver'" (written in 1998). ......

Posted Image

That book is a bit on the disjointed side in places, but I enjoyed reading about Jerry Mathers' personal experiences as "The Beav".

Pages 96 and 97 of that volume provide the info re. the switch of filming locations:

"At Revue, Gomalco Productions (formed by comedian George Gobel and baseball mogul Dave O'Malley) produced our shows. Gobel it seems was looking for a good investment for some leftover money. During our third season in 1959, Leave It To Beaver moved from Revue on the Republic lot to Universal Studios.

"When TV intruded on the motion picture scene in the 1950s, there was a real need for change. Universal was floundering and was acquired by MCA (Music Corporation Of America) in 1959, and became known as 'MCA/Universal'. Before that, MCA had run the television department at Revue. So when MCA bought Universal they took their entire stock of TV shows with them {including Beaver}."
-- Jerry Mathers; 1998

#13 of 94 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,715 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 04 2006 - 03:38 PM

That may be a book I'll have to seek out...

#14 of 94 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 07:48 PM

Meaningless (Albeit Semi-Nifty) LITB Trivia........

In the S.2 episode "Wally's Pug Nose", closely watch the scene when Beaver pulls the "nose gadget" box out from under the bed......

Take note of the slick way the front of the box was filmed....with Beaver's thumb conveniently positioned over the address label in order to hide the U.S. state that the package was sent to....thereby keeping the location of "Mayfield" forever a mystery. Posted Image

The nose gadget, btw, was shipped to "Wallace Cleaver; 485 Mapleton", and was shipped by "Contoura Products" of _______ Junction, New York (the first part of town name is unreadable), on "January 17 AM" (the episode aired on February 5th; so that's pretty good real-calendar continuity). Posted Image

BTW #2 -- The video quality for that "Pug Nose" ep. features much less grain than other episodes. Posted Image

#15 of 94 OFFLINE   Jim-M

Jim-M

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 02:46 AM

Fry's has this set for $27.99 today-Tuesday. Looks like I'll be picking it up earlier than expected.

#16 of 94 OFFLINE   Wezzo

Wezzo

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 03:16 AM

I love your reviews, David, they're so in-depth and detailed. Great job!

#17 of 94 OFFLINE   Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 736 posts

Posted May 06 2006 - 07:48 AM

Good review, got my set and will be cracking it open soon

#18 of 94 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,715 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 06 2006 - 12:27 PM

Got mine, too! Called a local Wal-Mart and got an over-the-phone price of $39.88. With Best Buy ad in hand to price-match ($34.99), I went to a different Wal-Mart today and the shelf price was $33.24! Posted Image

Hope to get to mine before the weekend is over.

#19 of 94 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,715 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 07 2006 - 06:33 AM

Watched Episode #1 of the set "Beaver's Poem"
last night and I agree completely with your assessment, David. The indoor scenes do, indeed, have that certain amount of grain which, while it is noticeable, is not overpowering.

I gotta tell you that I LOVED going directly to the theme after selecting the episode from the menu. TERRIFIC! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Hats off to the people at Universal for making that adjustment from Season 1.

Looking forward to making it through the rest of the episodes.

#20 of 94 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 07 2006 - 10:15 AM

Yes, I must agree .... being able to start a particular "Official Beaver Session" with fewer remote keystrokes is a plus. And a quick "chapter advance" to get past the opening titles is even better. Posted Image

By-the-by, Mike F. ...... Did you take particular notice of the three or four well-done "Third-Grade" dubs that were integrated into the S.2 debut episode ("Beaver's Poem")? The dubs affect several of the actors too....with Ward being dubbed once, Wally once, and The Beav at least one time too.*

* = Footnote -- I don't want to mislead anyone here into thinking that I'm talking about "edited" material in this "dub" regard. Because that's not the case at all. That episode aired with those "third-grade" dubbed-in lines intact on the original LITB soundtrack (well, I'm practically certain it was aired that way in '58 at any rate; because every print I've ever seen has those dubs in place).

--------

"How can you try too hard to be a good parent?!", bellowed Ward Cleaver during a Season-One episode of LITB.

To which there was this response from the lips of the razor-sharp, first-season version of June Bronson-Cleaver (a feistiness which Mrs. Cleaver retains throughout the second season of the series as well):

"I don't know...but it looks like you've mastered it."

Posted Image Posted Image

(BTW -- Beaver looks JUST like a "Bronson".)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users