-

Photo
- - - - -

Dark "Welcome to DVD" intros on the new WB HD DVDs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,637 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 01:54 PM

The intros on the two new Warner HD DVDs (Goodfellas and Swordfish) are WAY dark. It takes about 10 clicks up on the brightness to get the image to match the intros on the previous Warner HD DVDs.

I believe the black level is correct on the films themselves, though I'm not certain about Goodfellas (it may be a bit dark, but I'm not sure and I don't have the SD DVD to compare).

Anyone else notice this? And can anyone comment on the "correct" look of dark scenes of Goodfellas (from the SD DVD or other sources)? Is the normal look of the film a little dark? I'd like to put that to rest and not give it any further thought.

Even though this is just a screw-up on the intros (hopefully), how the heck could Warner let this slip by on a format under such scrutiny?

Even though an oddly dark "HD DVD intro" doesn't detract from the film in any way, it is still concerning that it seems they are rushing through the mastering of these things and making mistakes like this.

I'm dying to get Batman Begins, The Goblet of Fire, King Kong, etc... in HD ASAP. But seeing this, I'm OK with them taking a little more time so hopefully they don't screw up something important. Sigh.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 02 2006 - 03:53 PM

How's the sound level? Still 10db lower than reference?

(I won't have my copies until tomorrow.)

- Steve

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 01:07 AM

Is there any measurable way to determine a film is 'X'db below/above reference level, or are we doing it by ear?
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,267 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 02:20 AM

I hate those intros. Anyone watching them has perforce already bought into HD DVD so why the hell do they think they need to advertise there? Just go to the frickin' movie.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 08:10 AM

i much prefer these to the "don't be a criminal, you!" spots on the Fox discs.

in fact, i can also almost still recite the old Fox promos by heart ("Hold onto something" "What are we looking at here"...Fox DVD video- GET INTO IT!").

for the moment i don't mind these, because i can at least get a taste of Batman begins until it finally actually shows up.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,267 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 08:57 AM

If they were as short as the old Fox promos, it would be one thing, but these just go on and on.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 06 2006 - 01:59 AM

My receiver's display is in half dB increments.

You can also measure it with an SPL meter, like the ones you can get at Radio Shack.

Goodfellas is definitely mastered with louder sound, by the way.

- Steve

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,855 posts

Posted May 06 2006 - 03:13 AM

I kinda like this intro, it gives us a taste of HARRY POTTER IV and BATMAN BEGINS in High Def. Plus, it was really neat to see when I first hooked up the player. But it will become repetitive if it's included on every WB disc.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 06 2006 - 03:22 PM

I also prefer it to the old MGM lion intro- you remember...the one that was recorded about 25dbs louder than what your reciever was set for.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted May 07 2006 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer
I hate those intros. Anyone watching them has perforce already bought into HD DVD so why the hell do they think they need to advertise there? Just go to the frickin' movie.

I enjoy it as it has a few clips, in high def btw, of other movies coming up. Although the quick shots of Matrix behind the scenese looked horrid. An any case, you can always FF Chapter Skip and get to the next item in the list.
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com