• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 Ken Burkstrum

Ken Burkstrum

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted April 29 2006 - 08:26 PM

Scuse me mates, I was just wondering if they've started making affordable recievers that are compatible with the newer formats that'll come with the new wave of video dics. I've been waiting for a reciever no more then $500 that's a good match for my Athenas that supports these new formats. I'm looking to get it over with as soon as I can.

#2 of 24 AlanZ

AlanZ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted April 30 2006 - 01:34 AM

I was wondering the same thing when I first heard about the new formats, but all you really need are the multichannel inputs that can be found on most newer receivers anyway. You just let the HD-DVD/Blu-ray player do the decoding and run the signal through the multichannel inputs on the receiver instead of using a digital connection like you would with DD/DTS.
"Come on you Fockers....CONGA!!!"
-Dustin Hoffman as 'Bernie Focker'

Updated Equipment List

#3 of 24 ChrisAG

ChrisAG

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted April 30 2006 - 02:42 AM

High-end models don't even have the new formats, never mind affordable units.

Assuming some high-end models are introduced by Summer / early Fall '06 with the new formats, the technology won't tricle down to the lower-end units for at least a year after that, IMO.

#4 of 24 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 12:50 PM

While HD-DVD has Dolby Digital Plus built into Toshiba's player. I am not aware of anyone that currently has DD+ or DTS-HD available. I have not heard of any surround reciever, pre/pro or outboard processor that has any updated surround formats. I also have not heard of any hardware that is slated to come out anytime soon. One of the things that sucks about the new HD-DVD titles is that there is no DTS-HD tracks. I believe that someone here has claimed that the audio track can be played back in DTS. But I honestly dont think that is possible. With the absence of a DTS track how can you playback a movie in DTS? I have been trying to find out when Denon will offer DD+ and DTS-HD in there surround recievers but they say there are no current plans to offer ether one. Denon also plans to wait on building ether HD-DVD or Blu-ray player until a winner has been choosen. Meridian has also taken that wait and see approuch. I dont believe we will see a Lexicon processor with ether surround format anytime soon.

This puts a huge damper on upgrading my aging Yamaha RX-V995 to something more current and useable. I wanted to buy the Denon AVR-4306 but will wait for the new surround formats to be available. Its nice to have 1080p HDMI switching but without new surround formats, I guess I will wait.

Come on Sony whats the hold up, lets have Blu-ray HD allready, rofl.
1080p High Definition - Supporter of Lossless Audio - Supporter of 4K -  Current Library: 221 DVD's / 74 HD-DVD's / 219 Blu-ray's (293 HD Titles, 4K movies 0)

#5 of 24 Daniel*

Daniel*

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 12:52 PM

I hooked up a system running from the HD-DVD Toshiba player to a Toshiba DLP via HDMI, and then ran a fiber optic cable out of the TV to a Yamaha reciever and it seemed to sounds pretty good, although I couldn't tell if it was the new DTS_HD, because according to my understanding, the fiber optic bandwith can't handle that of the new encodings. When i ran a fiber optic straight from the HD-DVD player to the Yamaha, the reciever flipped out and kept flipping between "Dolby Digital" and "DTS". Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

#6 of 24 LanceJ

LanceJ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 07:05 PM

Dave & Daniel, the following is from an article in the The Digital Bits (scroll down 1/3):

Quote:
.....The other choice you have, is you can connect your player to the receiver via the digital Toslink (optical) or coax outputs that most of us have been using for years now. Unfortunately, in this case, the HD-A1 decodes the Plus 5.1 bitstream and re-encodes it as DTS 5.1, which is then passed to your receiver (the receiver recognizes the bitstream as DTS accordingly). You're still getting a great audio experience, but it's not full Plus resolution, because DTS has a lower bitrate. It's sort of a half-assed solution that the Toshiba engineers came up with, but that's what they came up with.
my emphasis

There's lots more there about the other formats....like this:

Quote:
Sony, recognizing all of these audio incompatibilities and the potential for confusion, is not even including Dolby Digital-Plus, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD on their early Blu-ray Disc software. Instead, they're simply encoding the audio on their initial Blu-ray titles in high-resolution LPCM 5.1, until such a time as the hardware catches up.

This may also be the reason the HD-DVD titles out now don't have Dolby TruHD and DTS-HD either.

Even CD-quality LPCM i.e. 44.kHz/16bit will sound better than the present Dolby/DTS formats. IIRC I read here somewhere most studios right now only use up to a 48kHz sampling rate anyway.

#7 of 24 Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel*
When i ran a fiber optic straight from the HD-DVD player to the Yamaha, the reciever flipped out and kept flipping between "Dolby Digital" and "DTS". Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

It is Dolby Digital but apparently confuses many receivers into that behavior. I have read about the problem at AVSforum, but haven't read of a fix for the problem.

Chris

#8 of 24 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 02:32 AM

I have been hoping that new recievers would have come out around the same time HD-DVD and Blu-ray comes out. I have been waiting for certain features to come out on a reciever. Before replacing my aging Yamaha RX-V995 and its getting frustrating. A few recievers have 1080p switching but no DD+ or DTS-HD yet Posted Image
1080p High Definition - Supporter of Lossless Audio - Supporter of 4K -  Current Library: 221 DVD's / 74 HD-DVD's / 219 Blu-ray's (293 HD Titles, 4K movies 0)

#9 of 24 Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 07:22 AM

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=231295

here is some good info...

#10 of 24 LanceJ

LanceJ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 07:23 AM

Quote:
It is Dolby Digital..........
Christopher: so the Digital Bits article is incorrect?

#11 of 24 JediFonger

JediFonger

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted May 16 2006 - 06:27 AM

*bump*. anyone have news on DD+, TrueHD, and DTS-HD enabled a/v receivers?

#12 of 24 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,791 posts

Posted May 16 2006 - 11:18 AM

Look for processors with HDMI inputs. That's really all you need.

#13 of 24 JediFonger

JediFonger

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted May 16 2006 - 04:45 PM

i was thinking the cheaper alternatives like denon's 3806 or somn like it.

#14 of 24 peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 03:07 AM

Hi,

It's possibly not your audio processor that doesnt have the "Audio Goods" its the player and software.
I've been using a video scaler for the last 4 years and have been quite pleased so my excitement for HD-DVD has been the new audio.

If you have a processor with 8ch analog ins', then regardless of whether you have HDMI, if 7.1 DD o DTS was on the disc you would be abe to enjoy it becase the player decodes.

I'm waiting for a combi with 8ch analog outs as well as discs with HiREZ audio.

Peter M.
dyslexia "for a cure found"

#15 of 24 JediFonger

JediFonger

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 04:47 AM

sure, people can definitely do that. i have a 5.1 analog in myself but i'd prefer to have HDMI i/o.

#16 of 24 Dan Magnin

Dan Magnin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 04:11 PM

my opinion only at this time....what an absolute mess this new format has been born into. Hd dvd vs. Blue ray...its a war, and in a war only one comes out the victor. In the meantime, alot of us will invest hard earned monies into one format while the other one prevails...then we are stuck with dvds that won't be able to be watched at all----just like it was when Betamax and VHS were on the market at the same time, then there was one. Only time will tell.

#17 of 24 JediFonger

JediFonger

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 05:29 AM

anyone hear any news on the a/v receiver front yet? i have 2 friends asking me advice about new a/v receivers. they're willing to spend $1,000 to 2,000 for one. i told them to get an el cheapo $300-500 receiver that decodes all current formats and wait for DTS-HD, TrueHD and DTS+ a/v receivers to come out with HDMI upconvert. that's when they should upgrade.

anyone hear any news about the newer a/v receivers taht accepts HDMI DTS-HD, TrueHD, DD+ and decode it? anyone?

#18 of 24 FeisalK

FeisalK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 09:45 AM

Panasonic announced one in April(?) called the XR700

Posted Image

its the bottom unit (top is the blu-ray player)
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#19 of 24 LanceJ

LanceJ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 05:21 PM

Ha ha - that bottom component is displaying a radio station. Radio?? Who listens to that? That is sooooo 80s.

For exposure to good new music we have the much more modern.....er....uh.....

never mind. Posted Image

#20 of 24 JediFonger

JediFonger

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 06:14 PM

announced but no spex. will it decode DTS-HD, DD+, TrueHD natively?

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow