What's new

Studio Canal announces 20 titles (1 Viewer)

Mike*Z

Auditioning
20 titles, from Studio Canal, coded in VC-1 & DTS-HD lossless :

- Ali
- Arizona Dream
- Basic Instinct
- Elephant Man
- L'Armée des Ombres
- La Cité des Enfants Perdus
- La Grande Vadrouille
- La Haine
- Le Cercle Rouge
- The Graduate
- Le Pacte des Loups
- The Pianist
- Three Days of the Condor
- Million Dollar Baby
- Mulholland Drive
- Serpico
- Terminator 2
- The Fog
- Traffic
- The Deer Hunter

http://www.tomshardware.fr/studiocan...news-6524.html
http://www.areadvd.de/news/2006/2006...2_HD-DVD.shtml

Mike*Z

Auditioning
Filme sollen in fünf europäischen Ländern veröffentlicht werden. Dazu gehören Frankreich, England und Deutschland.

"The films are to be published in five European countries ; including France, England and Germany."

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Goodfellas was the only title I would've purchased in the standard list of HD-DVD and BR titles.

This list is already better... as I'd purchase both Melville films, City of Lost Children, Mulholland Drive and possible Serpico.

Another batch of titles like this and I think I'll be purchasing a HD-DVD player.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
So about DTS-HD Lossless, since there is no hardware on the market that decodes this yet, will this simply downmix into DTS 5.1 in the same way that Dolby Digital Plus also has a starard 5.1 track?

This will be the ONLY time I quadruple dip on a movie.

I bought the first T2 when it was available in 98, then the Ultimate and Extreme editions.

I love that movie way too much, but to finally get it in HD, I can't wait. And now WMV-HD doesn't count as I am not going to hook up my PC to my display.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Just joking.

Is this how HD DVD gets to "200" titles released in 2006?
Japan, Germany, U.S., & elsewhere?
Or, does anyone think it's "200 titles released in 2006" in the U.S.?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I hate to tell you this, but these will probably suffer from speedup problems just like PAL DVD's as HD in Europe is based off of PAL's frame rate of 25 fps and not the native 24 fps of most movies.

One would hope, at least, that they will be in their native languages with well translated English subtitles where needed.

Dan

Mike*Z

Auditioning
In Europe, 1080p24 films are likely stored in 24p with telecine, or 1080i50, like Euro HDTV.

If the display does proper inverse telecine and displays at Nx24Hz, no 4% speedup is resulted:
1080i => inverse telecine => 1080p24

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
That's my understanding, that PAL speedup will not be a factor, making imports all the more attractive.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Some good titles in there.

Le Pacte des Loups would be an awesome demo disc IMO. Visually stunning film.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
There is no technical limitation or reason of legacy compatibility for these films to be speeded up. European broadcast HDTV standards should not affect HD distributed on optical media. Should Dan's fear come true, everyone should boycott such botched releases to send a message to studios making such ill-informed choices.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
HD DVD currently does not use region coding.

Even if it were added in the future, it wouldn't affect these either way!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

How is DTS-HD supposedly better than DTS 96/24, which every AVR made supports but very very very few DVDs are encoded with?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
It will be 24p. That's great news. Thanks. It would change a lot of things. I wouldn't have to import and I can buy for cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks