What's new

With "The Simpsons" movie now in production.... (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
....Do you think it will be awhile before we see season 8 and beyond? We all were aware that it takes awhile to release these sets because of the commentaries, which subsequently were done during production of new episodes. Now with the feature length film coming out in the summer of next year, I can't help but wonder if future season sets will be put on the backburner until production is complete, because let's face it. Groening and Co. have a lot of balls in the air now. They're still producing new episodes for the series, and now I'm sure a lot of attention is being put towards this movie. I just have a feeling that DVD commentaries are pretty low on their priority list, and as a result, I think we're going to end up playing the waiting game.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
I read at a Simpsons Forum that Season 8 commentaries have been recorded, but there is still a lot of work to be done on the sets.

I don't really think Groening needs to do much - he isn't always in on the commentaries and most of the people who are left The Simpsons, I don't think we will notice a change in pace.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
I would say the show went poor around Season 10. Weinstein and Oakley were great through Season 7 & 8.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Season 8 and 9 contain some of the best episodes ever. Season 8 has Hank Scorpio, Rex Banner, gay steel mills...I mean come on!

They're killing me with this delay-I've been jonesing for S8 for a long time.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
As much as I want them, I'll wait if it means the same high quality as previous sets. Don't rush them out, just to get them out.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Meh... "Fans" have been complaining about a decline in quality since season 3.* Everyone has their own opinion about which seasons blew and which ones didn't. Some think the show has been getting better lately. I say keep watching as long as you still find it entertaining enough to be worth your while.

* Really. Google it.

Sean D.

Agent
Most fans consider around season 9 is when it started to decline. They have already done the commentaries for season 8 and last I heard they were working on menu designs. As for the movie they have already got a script and even recorded all the dialouge, so all they really have to do is animate it. I don't see any reason why the season releases would slow down.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
As for thinking the dvd sets will slow down because their attention is elsewhere; nah. Keep in mind that some of the people participating in the commentaries are old directors and writers who no longer work on the Simpsons. Anyway, why do they do full-length commentaries on each ep? Because it's totally boring...these guys are so full of self-importance to do that.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy every last commentary and wouldn't want a set without commentary on every episode.

Like I said, don't rush the sets out just to put them on the shelves. I want as much "bonus" material as I possibly can get.

DavidBC

Second Unit

The waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos!

...i can't believe i'm the first one to throw that out there....

Wezzo

Second Unit

Haha, I came into this thread to say exactly that. Damn. :D

Anyway, I agree that we shouldn't sacrifice quality - and commentary on every episode - for the sake of getting the DVDs out early. There are plenty of other shows to buy in the meantime.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
As long as Marge's hair is blue I'll be getting every set that comes out. I can't say when I think the show's quality might have dropped off as the episodes all started running together for me years ago. I do hope the sets keep coming at the same rate and I LOVE having commentaries on every episode. I get twice as much out of every box set because I watch each episode and then watch them over again with the commentaries.

I think having commentary on every episode is more than justified since the true fans of this show are obsessive about it and want to know every detail.

Mmm . . . Simpsoids . . .

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I guess we needn't worry about the DVD releases being delayed until June or August pass without a release, since the pattern for the last few years has been a release in one of those months, followed by another at the end of the year.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
I consider that the 12th season is where it started to get a bit crazy. There aren't many episodes beyond the 11th season that I enjoy. It's sad that they're going to keep going for at least 2 more seasons, because it should've been cancelled about 5 years ago. I also heard that they will try to keep going for 25 seasons. It's getting crazier by the day.
-James

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i can't think of a bigger fan of the simpsons (and futurama!) than me. most superfans are highly critical, and it may not be as funny as it was during the glory years, but i love it just as much. if people dont like the wacky storylines, there are plenty of other shows that dumb it down and cater to a mass audience. i just hate when an episode is about some stupid ass celebrity. if it's done right, celebrity appearances can be funny.

about the commentaries, i'm glad every simpsons and futurama episode has commentary. these guys want to put out a quality product. "self importance" has nothing to do with it.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks